Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 6:19:56 PM EDT
Starting to get into trading stocks on my Vanguard platform.

Bought some Tesla as a long hold for our Sons with some money from their credit union savings they have built up.  Just gonna hold that for them.

Put some of our own cash in to play a little and am thinking of doing some quick buy/sells to pocket a few bucks here and there.

Question is...how many times can you buy and sell the same stocks over and over?  Are there any limitations?  Can I keep jumping in and out as I see fit?

Thanks Hive!
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
look at wash sale rules.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
You like paying taxes? What are you trying to accomplish?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
you can trade it as much as you want
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a 3 day waiting period for clearing funds, and using those funds to purchase additional shares.

I will be brutally honest.. you are 95% more likely to lose money chasing stock trends.
You're up against computer algorithms buying a gun selling billions worth of stocks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a 3 day waiting period for clearing funds, and using those funds to purchase additional shares.

I will be brutally honest.. you are 95% more likely to lose money chasing stock trends.
You're up against computer algorithms buying a gun selling billions worth of stocks.
View Quote

You also pay income tax rates for short term gains
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Does Vanguard have minimum balance requirements if they flag you for day trading?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Under 25k account balance you've got to follow the day trading limits, but that's really all you need to be concerned about.  

Buy low, sell high and good luck.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Look up your day trading limits depending on your account value.

And also...this is the most important part....understand the difference between short term and long term capital gains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top