Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2019 7:57:26 PM EDT
My ex was awarded roughly 50% of 8 years (8 of 20) of my mil retirement. She is currently broke and I had the idea to buy her out of her claim to it. I’ve searched everywhere but can’t find exactly what to do. It seems simple, maybe some sort of quit claim but I can’t find any example of people doing this after the divorce. Anyone have any experience with this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend a couple hundred bucks on a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I know nothing but don’t make some kind of deal the military retirement system won’t honor.   It would suck to buy her out and then the military gives her it anyhow.

I have a suspicion that they do exactly that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spend a couple hundred bucks on a lawyer.
View Quote
Thanks Devil Dog, I hadn’t thought of that. I have a consultation next week I just figured I could get some instant gratification from arfcom so I deserve that reply I guess.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know nothing but don’t make some kind of deal the military retirement system won’t honor.   It would suck to buy her out and then the military gives her it anyhow.

I have a suspicion that they do exactly that.
View Quote
For sure, i don’t plan to make the offer unless I’m 100% sure. DFAS will not set up her auto pay being married less then 10yrs, it’s up to me to pay so I got that going for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#5]
This is one of those time its best money you will spend on a lawyer
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks Devil Dog, I hadn’t thought of that. I have a consultation next week I just figured I could get some instant gratification from arfcom so I deserve that reply I guess.
View Quote
Please update after you speak to a lawyer.  Interested in what they will have to say on this
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Computing a 'present value' for a possible life time payout with inflation adjustments built in is going to be a touchy calculation.

Trying to estimate possible inflation over any long period is very risky.

Remember how high it got under 'Peanut Boy' in the White House?

Inflation
Peanut Boy was President from January 20, 1977 – January 20, 1981
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Knew a guy who separated from AD at 16 years after a nasty divorce. Left so ex wouldn't be entitled to .mil retirement.

Then he he joined the reserve as a technician which means he was a reservist on one weekend per month, then a 40 hr/week GS civilian in the same billet. He plans to claim a reserve component reirement at 60, and ex will not be entitled to any portion, because they were only married when he was in an active component.

Unclear how it will work out, check back in a few years.

ETA: I wasted post #270, I was going to use it to start an argument in GD about how good of an elk gun a .270 is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked with a retired Colonel that just continued as a DOD contractor and not collect his pension so his ex could not get anything.

He knew hot to manage large jobs and was always a good guy to work for.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I wouldn’t bail just to shaft her. Her calculation will be 50% of 8 years which would probably calculate out to $400 or so a month. The key is she doesn’t know that or have any idea how any of it works. The SCOTUS ruled on one guys case where the VA converted part of his retirement to “non taxable benefit” to compensate for disability. She sued saying her entitlement should be based off of the original total but they sided with him and said you can’t have part of his disability. So her total payment was reduced so I got that going for me. Consult is Friday so I’ll let you know.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Lawyer said “no problem” you just amend the decree. It takes no time, the ex just needs to sign it. In a month or two I should have the payoff saved up, I’ll definitely let you guys know how it foes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Last retirement seminar I was at the HR lady told us about a employee she had that got the retirement thing wrong in his divorce.... So he remarried her then got divorced again right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top