Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2022 11:22:45 PM EDT
Next week I'll be buying the parts to build a new PC. Going from the ground up on this new one:

Case
MOBO
CPU
GPU
PSU
RAM
M.2 SSD

I've got everything picked out, except for the OS. I currently have Win 10. My current machine isn't compatible with 11 (did the check) so I can't really check it out before-hand. So my questions are:

Who has it?
Do you like it?
Would you go back to 10 (even though it won't be supported in another 2-3 years) or keep 11?
Pros?
Cons?

This PC will be mainly for internet, work, and a bit of gaming (nothing crazy, but I do have some games I need to get into that I bought during the Epic sale).
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Next week I'll be buying the parts to build a new PC. Going from the ground up on this new one:

Case
MOBO
CPU
GPU
PSU
RAM
M.2 SSD

I've got everything picked out, except for the OS. I currently have Win 10. My current machine isn't compatible with 11 (did the check) so I can't really check it out before-hand. So my questions are:

Who has it?
Do you like it?
Would you go back to 10 (even though it won't be supported in another 2-3 years) or keep 11?
Pros?
Cons?

This PC will be mainly for internet, work, and a bit of gaming (nothing crazy, but I do have some games I need to get into that I bought during the Epic sale).
View Quote

If you are building, stay with 8.1.  There's absolutely nothing that 10, let alone 11, offer that makes any of those two worth anything.  This is what I am using in my build (core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe for OS, two multi-TB HDDs for data, etc.) and have no plans to change.

My laptop uses 7, which is the best ever made.

No problems whatsoever.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you are building, stay with 8.1.  There's absolutely nothing that 10, let alone 11, offer that makes any of those two worth anything.  This is what I am using in my build (core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe for OS, two multi-TB HDDs for data, etc.) and have no plans to change.

No problems whatsoever.

View Quote

I don't have 8.1, though. I'm currently running 10, as stated in my original post. But I can't seem to find my Win10 disc, anywhere (I bought a physical copy not long after its release). That said, I can do a migration from my old hard drive to a new one. But I was just curious if I should stick with 10 or go ahead and upgrade to 11.

My new hard drive will be a 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD. So I'll have to wait until all the parts come in before I can do the migration. My current PC doesn't support NVMe drives so I can't do the migration until I get the new one built so I can install the old SSD. I'll keep my 1TB internal HDD. But it'll be used as a backup; along with my external drive (which I'm thinking of upgrading, as well, to a larger one).
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Windows 11 is, at best, "not as bad as people say." It's never good. It has a lot of dumb fucking issues for what should be a mature operating system. I'm currently going through a number of different processes to remove paired bluetooth devices that, oddly, won't unpair. Somehow this is hard for Win11 despite cell phones from 2005 doing it just fine. It's always some stupid nuisance with this piece of shit that can't decide if it's leading edge, bleeding edge, or retarded.

Pick whichever version you know IMO there's been zero benefit to upgrading since 7.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have computers with both.  I much prefer Windows 10.  I don't see the point to Windows 11.  Hell, I'd go back to Windows 7 if I could.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
AFAIK the win11 scheduler is better at handling the P/E core split that Intel has done with the latest 2 generations.  If not going Intel I'd probably just stick with 10 that you have.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

stay with 8.1.  There's absolutely nothing that 10, let alone 11, offer that makes any of those two worth anything.  

View Quote

Um, Direct X 12?
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Um, Direct X 12?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

stay with 8.1.  There's absolutely nothing that 10, let alone 11, offer that makes any of those two worth anything.  

Um, Direct X 12?

And security updates past January of next year?
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
AFAIK the win11 scheduler is better at handling the P/E core split that Intel has done with the latest 2 generations.  If not going Intel I'd probably just stick with 10 that you have.
View Quote

Yeah, 11 will perform significantly better if you are using a newer Intel processor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Windows 11 is, at best, "not as bad as people say." It's never good. It has a lot of dumb fucking issues for what should be a mature operating system. I'm currently going through a number of different processes to remove paired bluetooth devices that, oddly, won't unpair. Somehow this is hard for Win11 despite cell phones from 2005 doing it just fine. It's always some stupid nuisance with this piece of shit that can't decide if it's leading edge, bleeding edge, or retarded.

Pick whichever version you know IMO there's been zero benefit to upgrading since 7.
View Quote

Well, I won't have to worry about bluetooth or anything like that. The motherboard I'm ordering does have bluetooth, but I'll be turning it off as I won't need it. I won't even be using the built-in Wifi. I prefer a wired connection for my computer.

ETA: I've already done a migration disc to a USB drive. That way, when my new one is built, all I have to do is plug it in and get the migration started.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Ill be staying at 10 for another year at least.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]
The last computer I built about 2 years ago could not even operate with Win7.  I had to upgrade to Win10 just to get the correct USB software.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Got all the parts ordered yesterday. If the delivery days/dates hold to what they say, now, everything should be in by next Monday.

CASE: Fractal Design Torrent
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F
CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra4
RAM:Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 4800MHz
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2
PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum

Was on a budget so had to scale back on some things; namely, the GPU, SSD, and PSU. I wanted the 3090, but I wasn't ready to spend over $1000 for a vid card. I wanted a 2TD SSD, but the 1TB will get me through, for now. And I wanted the 1000w PSU, but the 850 can run this system just fine. I just like to be over with regards to PSU wattage. I MAY upgrade to the 1000w later if I add in more SSDs or upgrade the card and/or CPU.

Later, I know I'll be adding in at least 1 more NVMe M.2 SSD. I'd like to max it out and put four 2TB drives in it. Then I want to start saving to get an NVMe NAS.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]
So I was checking on the shipping status of the parts (all ordered at the same time, but coming from different places). I get a notification that my vid card had shipped. I clicked on it to verify it was the right card (it is). And that's when I noticed the price. It jumped $400 from when I ordered it 2 days ago to today.

I guess I ordered at the right time, lol.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
All the parts I ordered came in, except for the case. It should be here later this week, so until then I'm in a holding pattern. I could use my old case (decent airflow), but I really don't want to build a computer, then build it again a few days later.....I can wait.

Here's a list of everything I got:

CASE: Fractal Design Torrent Black TG Light Tint (wanted the solid version, but all I could find was the version with the window without waiting for a backorder)
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi 6E
CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF Desktop Processor 10 (6P+4E) Cores up to 4.9 GHz (yes I know it's the "F" version; fully aware)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (looked at the 3090, but those prices )
PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum (will probably be upgrading this to the 1300W, later; especially if I upgrade the GPU)
RAM: Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40 (will add another 16GB later)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 (will add at least a 2TB drive later)

No RGB because I'm not into that whole thing. There's an RGB part on the case, and the GPU has RGB on it, but if I can disable them I will. I'm going for a blackout look. It'll be on the floor under my desk so no one will see it, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#16]
From what I’ve been reading you’re not able to “mix kits” of ram. Maybe that depends on mobo being single or dual channel. Talking about you adding 16gb later.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From what I’ve been reading you’re not able to “mix kits” of ram. Maybe that depends on mobo being single or dual channel. Talking about you adding 16gb later.
View Quote

Even if it's the same kind of RAM from the same manufacturer, same speed, etc.?

Like I have it still saved to my Amazon list. So I'd be buying the exact same kind as I originally bought.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Like I have it still saved to my Amazon list. So I'd be buying the exact same kind as I originally bought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best practice is to buy all RAM from the same production batch. There can be small differences between production runs that can cause issues.

Also, if you add another 16gb stick later you’d go back to single channel mode, which would reduce performance. Not sure if you’d stay dual channel if you got two 8gb modules since they’d be a different size.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Best practice is to buy all RAM from the same production batch. There can be small differences between production runs that can cause issues.

Also, if you add another 16gb stick later you’d go back to single channel mode, which would reduce performance. Not sure if you’d stay dual channel if you got two 8gb modules since they’d be a different size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he isn't doing competitive XOC he should be fine buying the same model/sku as before.  Though the single/dual channel argument still applies.
Not many things will benefit that much from 32GB to 64GB, it's just bragging rights for most anyway.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I actually put the wrong size in that post, lol. I meant to say I'm going to put another 32GB, not 16. So I'd definitely be doing dual channel, not single.....4x16GB.

I went back and reread my post, thinking, "Why is he talking about single channel?" Then I saw it. I put in the wrong number, lol. Sorry for that.

I also just ordered a new CPU fan (my old one should do, but I wanted something a bit better) and a 6TB storage drive. My old storage drive still works fine, but I really need something bigger. The old one is 1TB and it's getting close to being full. I'll also be ordering a new, bigger external drive. My current one is only 750GB so it certainly won't do. For now, it's just got my essential programs and files on it. But I'd like something big enough to do a full backup. I also use it for data transfer between 2 systems. So when I get a new external drive, I can use the old one for JUST transfers. I've got a 2TB cloud service, but I like having more than 1 backup of my stuff.

edited because I can't spell
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All the parts I ordered came in, except for the case. It should be here later this week, so until then I'm in a holding pattern. I could use my old case (decent airflow), but I really don't want to build a computer, then build it again a few days later.....I can wait.

Here's a list of everything I got:

CASE: Fractal Design Torrent Black TG Light Tint (wanted the solid version, but all I could find was the version with the window without waiting for a backorder)
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi 6E
CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF Desktop Processor 10 (6P+4E) Cores up to 4.9 GHz (yes I know it's the "F" version; fully aware)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (looked at the 3090, but those prices )
PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-850, 850W 80+ Platinum (will probably be upgrading this to the 1300W, later; especially if I upgrade the GPU)  Don't bother unless you are planning on overclocking. 850w is perfectly fine unless you get a 4090, and by then there will be PSUs that are using native 16 pin ATX3.0 cables. You are pulling less than 700w on your system on factory power limits.
RAM: Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40 (will add another 1632GB later) Honestly, unless you just WANT the extra 32gb, or need it for something akin to production work, skip this. 32gb of ram is PLENTY for gaming, more is close to a waste of money.
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB NVMe M.2 (will add at least a 2TB drive later) Good call, and I would get as much as you can afford to be honest. I've filled up a single 1TB NVME just on multiplayer games. I have another 2TB SATA SSD 75% full on single player titles.

No RGB because I'm not into that whole thing. There's an RGB part on the case, and the GPU has RGB on it, but if I can disable them I will. I'm going for a blackout look. It'll be on the floor under my desk so no one will see it, anyway.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[Good call, and I would get as much as you can afford to be honest. I've filled up a single 1TB NVME just on multiplayer games. I have another 2TB SATA SSD 75% full on single player titles.[/i]
View Quote

I got the 6TB size. It was a decent price so I couldn't pass it up. I can remember the 1TB I ordered for my current system. I think it cost more than the 6TB, lol. Of course that was 12 years ago. And I've got my eyes on a 5TB external drive for backups. It's $!0 more than the 6TB internal, but I figured that's due to the case, cable, etc.

I wish I had the money to do what my best friend did. He set up a whole-home NAS and can access it from any computer in his house. And his computers are hooked into his TVs (2 in the den, 1 in the bedroom). So his big-ass 70" Sony TV in the den is his monitor (for 2 separate computers). And he uses a laptop in a closet that's connected to it and the NAS to access anything he has stored on it. He uses a wireless keyboard/mouse so everything else is hidden in the closet. He has a fan installed in the ceiling that vents to outside for heat dissipation.

I think he said he has 24TB of storage with some of that allocated for backups. Any game, movie, or music he downloads goes on the NAS and can be accessed from any computer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#23]
So I just got a text that I'm getting a refund for the case I ordered. It's a legit text/refund as it came through the normal Amazon text number they use to send the OTP for each time I order something.

It's weird because I didn't initiate this; either the seller or Amazon did. The delivery date had been updated to Nov. 8. So I was waiting until the 9th to get a refund started if it didn't show up on the 8th (as was instructed in the last email I got from Amazon).

It also says the funds will be available in my account in 3-5 days. The thing is, I don't know if they mean my Amazon account or my bank account. The seller was 3rd party; which I don't like using, but they were the only ones who had that particular case (even though it was my 2nd choice as NOBODY had the 1st choice I wanted).

Of course now, I can get the case I actually wanted in the 1st place. AND, it's cheaper than the version I was expecting. So now I've got to wait the 3-5 days to see if it goes to my Amazon account or my bank account. I'm hoping it goes back into my bank account so I can use that money to buy the case I really want from another site.

edit because I still can't spell
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, the new case has shipped. It says it should be here tomorrow. And it actually shows shipping updates already other than "Label Created".

So this one is more promising already. Hopefully tomorrow, sometime, I'll be putting it all together.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No problems whatsoever.

View Quote
lol. XP for life amiright?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I have built my computers since 386 days. I find Windows 11 faster than 10 and quite stable. Tried Unix but did not like it as well.
Did find a dumbass WD legacy driver caused issues until I removed it using a WD removal tool.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:29:48 AM EDT
[#27]
In gaming benchmarks, they are pretty even, with W11 being slightly faster in a couple games. I have machines with both and I gotta say, W11 is growing on me.

OP, you do not need all the compatible hardware to install 11. You can make your install media (USB) with Rofus which will take out the TPM and other bits.

Windows 10 vs Windows 11 - 7 Months After Release

Link Posted: 11/9/2022 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Case came in a little after 7:00pm. I got it upstairs, opened it, and got to work. Having an NVMe M.2 drive is insane. Powers up and shuts down fast. Everything loads or opens fast.

I still need to install my 6TB drive, but I'll do that tomorrow (or later today, technically). I just wanted to get everything together, Windows re-installed, and most of my programs re-installed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice, I started ordering things. Looking forward to a new system since my current is a GEN 3 3570k! Held on over the years by adding some RAM and upgrading to SSD's and a used GTX 1070.

New one is a;

I7-13700k
Arctic II 360mm AIO cooler.
32GB DDR5 5600
Thermaltake View 51 case.

Kinda buying parts as I learn about how much things have changed. It's neat to see.. I was like wtf is a m.2 nvme!?
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:00:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice, I started ordering things. Looking forward to a new system since my current is a GEN 3 3570k! Held on over the years by adding some RAM and upgrading to SSD's and a used GTX 1070.

New one is a;

I7-13700k
Arctic II 360mm AIO cooler.
32GB DDR5 5600
Thermaltake View 51 case.

Kinda buying parts as I learn about how much things have changed. It's neat to see.. I was like wtf is a m.2 nvme!?
View Quote

Kind of how I was.

I'd kept up a little bit, but not like I used to do. I knew about the original M.2 drives, but didn't really think much of them since I'd read that they really weren't THAT much faster than a standard SSD drive. But when my best friend was telling my about NVMe M.2 drives and how much faster they are, and then me seeing it on his computer and how fast it actually is, I was sold. He also helped me with the other parts. He sent me links to videos by guys on YouTube talking about some of the good stuff to use. So I started making a list.

My former system has an EVGA GTX 960. The SSD it has is only 256GB. The 1TB, at that time, was almost $400 (about what a 4TB costs these days). But it kept me going for almost 12 years. The only thing I had to change was the PSU when my old one went bad.

Now, that computer will go downstairs for my mom to use. She only uses computers to get online and for sewing stuff, so it's more than plenty for her. And she can move her laptop into her sewing room to use there exclusively. But I've already got the old HDD wiped and formatted so all I have to do is transfer her copy of Win10 over to it and she'll be GTG. I also gave her my old speakers (Bose Companion 2). She'd been using the speakers on the laptop, and since that's being moved, she wouldn't have any. So I ordered some new ones for me and she'll get the Bose (which actually cost more, still, than the ones I got).
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quick question:

Is there a reputable company that makes PSU cables with right angle plugs? Like these:

And while I like the look of these, and it's exactly what I'm looking for, I don't know the company that well. I know CableMod and I trust their products.

The reason I'm asking is I've never liked the way you have to bend the cables so severely if you want to do any sort of cable management inside the case to make it clean to help airflow. But I'd think having a right angle plug would greatly reduce the strain on the cable.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#32]
The problem with power supply cables is that while there is an unofficial standard it's not always followed properly by different manufacturers.   I would only buy PSU cables directly from the company that makes the PSU just to be safe.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The problem with power supply cables is that while there is an unofficial standard it's not always followed properly by different manufacturers.   I would only buy PSU cables directly from the company that makes the PSU just to be safe.
View Quote

I'm currently using the stock cables. But I know that CableMod makes cables that are compatible with most (if not all) of the top PSU models (including mine). Searching their site will give you a pretty big list of all the ones they make that are compatible. That's why I trust them. But I just wish they made ones with a 90-degree plug. If they did, I'd order them without question.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#34]
been running a 4900 with a I9 13900k for 2 days.. no cable mod. my house hasnt burned down yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top