Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2020 12:58:28 AM EDT
Since I have nothing to do since being laid off I decided to build a small HOn3 narrow gauge railroad.   So far I have the foam laid down, a river cut out and some basic mountain forms laid.  All the buildings are wood kits so they are going to take a while to build.  

Hopefully I'll have trains running by the end of the week and then itll be time to get the buildings done and add scenery.
I am building it using a hollow core door and a couple of layers of 2" insulation foam.

Gluing on the foam

Trying to decide where all this crap will go

Cutting the river

The two gold mines will go on the back side with the river and the town will be on the front side

Gotta get the bridge built

Starting to lay out roadbed and track

The tunnel

Throwing down some rails

A view of things to come...

I am basing it on this model railroad.  Mine will be a little smaller, but hopefully it'll look similar.
https://layoutdynamics.com/layout-projects/douglas-creek-hon3.html
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#1]
That's cool.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Very neat. I don't see too many HO narrow gage layouts. I'm assuming that you are using N scale track but keeping the curve radius to HO specs. I've done N scale and HO scale layouts in the past, but never a narrow gage.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
First, check out this FB page... particularly Dave's (the group owner) layout pics.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2133483496886387/

This is Dave's layout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8OmIj-lUXM

Calcoat 127 is an insulating cement type product used to insulate steam pipes, other hot or cold.  

https://www.jm.com/en/industrial-insulation/accessories/calcoat-127/

It can be used like plaster.  It has a long setup time, and if it begins to get a little stiff, just add a little water.  
It will be gray at first, but over time it will lighten to near white and lose the water weight.  It is very light
weight after that, and it adheres to foam well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG3lN6Wmfwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUAYd33qJOs

Heed his warning about not trying to get this too smooth... nature isn't smooth and neat... just glob it on as he
shows.

And look through his many videos on his channel.  He has videos on just about every aspect of the hobby...
track, roadbed and ballast, etc.  Oh, make sure you paint the rail before ballasting.  Some use an airbrush, then
use thinner on a rag and remove from the top of the rails.  Real rail is not shiny on the sides, it's brown.  You don't
need to do both sides... just the side you can see.

I don't use track nails.  Then you have to remove them later and putty the holes, paint over.  I skip that.  Use a
product in the wallpaper section of Lowe's or Home Despot called Seam Repair by Roman.  This is the same as
"canopy glue" (Pacer Formula 560).  Just run a squiggle down the roadbed, put the track in place, weight it down
with some chili and green bean cans, and in 20 minutes it is dry and clear.  It is NOT the same as Elmer's.  Unlike
white glue, it sticks to plastic.

This guy has done articles for Model Railroad Hobbiest and others.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I got almost all of the track laid today.  

There will be a train station and a water tank here somewhere.  

The town

Engine terminal

Rock pass

The mining district.  I have to wait till I build the mine for the area on the right before i can lay track.

And an overview of the whole mess.  

Now for the fun part....wiring.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Very, very cool. Thank you for sharing your build. Look forward to seeing more.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I am going to have to build a 1x2 frame for the bottom so I have a place to hide the wiring and then I can attach some legs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
DCC?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DCC?
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Tagging this for interest!  I love trains and artificial crabmeat.  But not at the same time.    I want to do something like this with my Lionel Christmas set.  Small layout I can set up at Christmas in a corner.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DCC?
Yep.

NCE PowerCab.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]
get busy... we want to see pics!!
until then, here's some motivational pic and vid.

Model Train Layout Norfolk & Western

click on pic for full-size it is giant.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I am getting the framework and legs built for it tomorrow then I can get started on wiring.  I really need to get off my ass and get some of the structures built.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Most of the scenery has arrived.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Ha ha... Wtf! You have to build some laser craftsman kits? We'll never see the end of this thread!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ha ha... Wtf! You have to build some laser craftsman kits? We'll never see the end of this thread!
View Quote
Lol.  I have nothing else to do.  

I need to get the bridge built first so I can start running some trains.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#18]
On30, but damn if this isn't inspirational....

Fall Season Model Railroading Special - Live Action!

Early Morning Meet - On the new display layout!

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are on facebook, I highly recommend this guys group... incredible On30 layout.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/744092062268264/

here's the only youtube video I could find, and it doesnt do his layout justice.  There are many videos posted within his facebook group.

Mining and Logging Operations on the Laurium, Mohawk and Brockway Railway Company

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Getting the fascia and framework on today.  I'll finish the legs tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the trim on and some braces to hold the wiring.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Building the legs and getting them attached.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Now for the fun part......wiring.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Woohoo!!!!  Plugged it in, put a train on the track. And.......

Absolutely nothing.  

Fuck.  

I'll fuck with it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, got that figured out.  I had changed the cable going to my DCC controller and the wiring was different.  Went back to the old cable now everything works fine.

Now I have to get my ass to the workbench and get that bridge built so I can start running in circles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got several of the Campbell Mine kits and the Grandt Line Mill and mine.  Eventually when I get my garage back, I'm having an Eastern Sierra northern Mojave based mining district.  Not a lot of trees. ahem.

If you haven't already, and I must confess I've been pretty delinquent in my following lately, checkout Railroad Line Forums.    The On30 forum was having a lot of really good discussions on scenery.  Never looked at the HO or HOn3 stuff.  There is also a Modeling Desert Scenery facebook page.  (I've been limited to HO standard gauge stuff at my club for a variety of reasons.)

http://deepriverrailroad.com/   again pointed toward On30 but Ed was working with my son on a few projects.  His scenery and building skills are great.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've got several of the Campbell Mine kits and the Grandt Line Mill and mine.  Eventually when I get my garage back, I'm having an Eastern Sierra northern Mojave based mining district.  Not a lot of trees. ahem.

If you haven't already, and I must confess I've been pretty delinquent in my following lately, checkout Railroad Line Forums.    The On30 forum was having a lot of really good discussions on scenery.  Never looked at the HO or HOn3 stuff.  There is also a Modeling Desert Scenery facebook page.  (I've been limited to HO standard gauge stuff at my club for a variety of reasons.)

http://deepriverrailroad.com/   again pointed toward On30 but Ed was working with my son on a few projects.  His scenery and building skills are great.
View Quote
Can you do me a favor and IM me your mailing address?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks good.. I started off in HO, switched to HOn3 and then in 1989 I switched to Sn3. Haven't done much with the railroad stuff in a long time but I'm slowly acquiring kits and rolling stock.

Here's a pair of Shays I got about a year ago from PBL.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Starting to get my bridge built.  My tunnel portals should be here soon so I can get my mountain done.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:12:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, my ballast job sucks major ass but it's all glued down so there is nothing I can do about it now.  I think I can hide a lot of it with ground cover and weeds.  I am trying to spot the few buildings I have almost finished.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#31]
do you have an airbrush?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
do you have an airbrush?
View Quote
Yes, 2 of them
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Finally got the bridge finished.  Now I can get it temporarily installed so I can run some trains.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Woohoo!  Finally running some trains.  

Finally got trains running on my HOn3 layout.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Great work on the bridge!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes, 2 of them
View Quote
You could potentially blend the ballast and ties and rails with a dark brown paint.
Get a darker brown/gray color, and LIGHTLY begin to tie the ballast and the ties and rail sides together with a light spray.
See how it all kind of blends together?

Attachment Attached File

watch this guy's work at 3:20. This would tie things together.

Modelling realistic ballast - model scenery tutorial #1

and this one, starting about 3:30... he uses a spray can.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Nice buildings kits for Western narrow gauge railroaders
https://www.wildwestmodels.com/products/products-ho-scale.html

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I am trying to find a decent single stall wooden engine house.  I don't really want to add another overly complicated craftsman kit to the list but there is not much out there otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#40]
actually, that BTS stuff is all part of an overall engine facility.... kinda cool really.
http://www.btsrr.com/railplan.htm

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I got a little more work done.  Got the backdrop attached to the foam, added some scenery, and put some plaster on the rocks.  When the plaster dries I can carve and paint it.  The river still needs another layer of water.  

The mine will go in the side of this hill

Some bulkheads

Getting to work on the tunnel hill.

The town site

And the backdrop.  I am going to keep it removable.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Threw some color on the mountains.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Coming along nicely!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#45]
OP is gonna have to go to the courthouse and change his name to Malcolm Furlow.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OP is gonna have to go to the courthouse and change his name to Malcolm Furlow.
View Quote
Not til he hangs antlers on the headlight.

Fun Fact, the first MR I ever bought had a Malcolm Furlow's G scale layout on the cover.  Maybe around'85
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not til he hangs antlers on the headlight.

Fun Fact, the first MR I ever bought had a Malcolm Furlow's G scale layout on the cover.  Maybe around'85
View Quote
I decaled up five cars for Devil's Gulch and Helengon, which was John Allen's narrow gauge road. Decals are available on eBay.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Planted some happy little trees today.

I thought I had more than enough trees for the whole layout but what I had barely covered half.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Got some siding work done on mine 1.  Now I just have to play with all the little twigs.  

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Impressive.  Little details like the bulkheads bring it all to life.  Can't wait to see the mine buildings.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top