Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2020 5:40:15 PM EDT
I was gifted 5 bottles last night. I tried some its pretty harsh. Do people actually drink this stuff straight or use it a mixer? Anyone here have any ideas.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Could always send one my way, I’ll drink it straight
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
125 Proof for $15.99 locally

Sounds like a mixer to me

I drink regular BT straight, but EH Taylor is better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Put it on the rocks or add a splash of water. See if that helps
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Mixer for me.  Nothing wrong with mixing it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
This is Mash Bill #1 straight off the still. "White Lightning" if you please. Of course it's not meant to be drank. It's meant to be aged in charred, new oak barrels for four to ? years. Buy your mini barrel and turn it into what you want it to be. Add char or a spiral charred oak stick to mimic barrel aging. Move from fridge to heat to freezer to mimic seasons. Learn what it is to turn what you have into what you buy on the shelf. Now go and have some fun!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is Mash Bill #1 straight off the still. "White Lightning" if you please. Of course it's not meant to be drank. It's meant to be aged in charred, new oak barrels for four to ? years. Buy your mini barrel and turn it into what you want it to be. Add char or a spiral charred oak stick to mimic barrel aging. Move from fridge to heat to freezer to mimic seasons. Learn what it is to turn what you have into what you buy on the shelf. Now go and have some fun!
View Quote
I like that idea....off to YouTube to learn something new.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Kids bought mr a little barrel for Christmas. I out a 1\5 of Jim Beam in it and at about 7 weeks, it completely changed it. Darker, smoother, no burn at all drinking straight. The nose changed. I'm pouring it back into an empty bottle and starting over with another bottle. Wish I could find some of this Buffalo Trace here.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I bought a 2 liter barrel should be here in a few days. I've read mixed reviews about aging white dog but l figure what the hell. I'll post up when it comes in.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love a bottle of BT white dog.  Saw a 375 ml bottle at a VA ABC before I moved.  Should've grabbed it.

We are not allowed to say anything about distilling.  However, AGING has always interested me.

Facts:

1. A 53 gallon barrel has approx 3200 square inches inside of it.

2. 5 and 10 gallon "whiskey barrels" are BS; gimmicky, made with questionable oak, and no idea how it was charred.

So, if I had 2 gallons of white dog, I could use a piece of oak that is 60 square inches (ergo, 120 square inches when you factor in it has 2 sides), and heat by the following chart:

Attachment Attached File

Put it in an air-tight vessel with a predetermined amount of air, and age my own whiskey.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Well my barrel came in today I still have to season it. I'm pretty excited I know there are alot of mixed reviews for the small barrels I'm still trying to decide if I want to put some water in with the whiskey to bring it down to 90 proof or so.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Barrel it at cask strength and then add some water in the glass if you want when you drink it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m going to guess, based on experience, that it will turn out tasting like cardboard in a barrel that size. But always interesting to try new things.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’m going to guess, based on experience, that it will turn out tasting like cardboard in a barrel that size. But always interesting to try new things.
View Quote
Ya probably. I've watched a few videos and I guess the math works out to every 80 days =a year on a 2l barrel. The barrel manufacturer says 3 weeks and you should be good to go. I figure I'll let it go for 3 weeks test and go from there. I'm contemplating putting some port in the barrel first then the whiskey but I'm not sure. It's still has water in it for seasoning. I'll keep this thread updated as I go.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a bottle for shits and giggles. Haven't opened it yet. I did like the Dickel white whisky.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok I put some cheap port in the barrel on the 29th and just removed it. I have to say it did improve it. Its allot smoother than it was a few weeks ago. The problem I had though was my barrel sprung a few leaks in the last week. I ordered some barrel wax off Amazon and used it to seal up the leaky parts. You can see in the picture the purple color on the barrel is where the port was leaking out. Anyway the white dog is in and I'll report back after the first tasting ar if anything goes awry.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]
125 proof is why it is harsh...temper it down to around 80-90 proof and it will be much more drinkable.

ETA: many beer or wine making stores sell charred oak chips. You can add some to your barrel and it will speed up the process.  Don't put in too much though as you can ruin your whiskey by over doing it.  After it comes out of the barrel, if you run it through some activated charcoal as in many water filtering systems, that too will smooth it out quite a bit.

I have heard the liquor comes off a pot still that doesn't have a thump keg at right around 120 proof if it is distilled slowly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
125 proof is why it is harsh...temper it down to around 80-90 proof and it will be much more drinkable.
View Quote

Ya I did try some on the rocks and the flavor is actually pretty good. I still have half a bottle left. I'm excited to see the difference when I taste it next.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Makes good hand sanitizer also. Just sayin...
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:16:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Well I tried some tonight a little over a month in the barrel. Its actually not bad it really toned down the harshness of it its also picked up some sweetness from the port. I'm going to let it it go a while longer to see what happens. I thought it would taste like cardboard but I'm pleasantly surprised with the flavor. I did put a splash of water in it. Fyi the cheap port I put in it came out amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top