Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That was intense. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
VIDEO: crash is at the end.

We killed 28 hogs and 6 coyotes. Sorry for the upload quality. It was filmed in HD.
Coolest fucking thing I have ever done. Pilot was a former army pilot and very skilled.
My friends were lucky to walk away alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4RJi4MJHO4
View Quote
R44?

Fuck robinson.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Robinson R22? R44 I was half way there
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Man glad those guys are OK.  Hats off to the pilot.  Another R44 crash not surprised.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice vid!

Where did you hunt? Benjamin?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice vid!

Where did you hunt? Benjamin?
View Quote
Albany TX
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What part of Texas? Looks South.

ETA whups
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have enough knowledge and have spent enough time flying in helicopters for work to have told my wife that we will NEVER be flying in a helicopter for recreation. No hog hunts, no Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam tours, nothing.

That being said, helicopter hog hunting looks fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#9]
1.) What was their altitude?
2.) That thing dropped like a rock
3.) Pilot is a fucking boss
4.) How the hell is Robinson still in business?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn man you ain't kiddin!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought renting time in a Bell 206 was expensive. Clearly it was a bargain.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty sure GoPro has free editing software.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought renting time in a Bell 206 was expensive. Clearly it was a bargain.
View Quote

You're life thanks you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My fear of helicopters isn't irrational!
View Quote

@Aimless

My dad has crashed both times he flew in a helicopter.

He was in the Coast Guard and flying back to the cutter they crashed hard onto the pad, it took several days and parts to repair the helicopter to be able to fly.

The second crash was in a field, the pilot argued with my dad that they didn't really crash because they landed at the airport, but my dads counter argument was they didn't even clear the fence to the airport.

The Coast Guard tried to fly my dad across the country after that, but he put in for three days of leave so he could drive and they stuck him on a fixed wing instead.  To this day he has not gone on a third helicopter flight.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice shot Roscoe!!! Fuck yeah....!

‘cept dat ending though...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Texas Hog Hunt Helicopter Crash

View from the front seat!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, that dude was cool as a cucumber
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Just hog hunting chopper action!

Action, action, and nothing but action.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Jacey and that Abilene TX accent. LOL
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#21]
You can clearly see the power lines he avoided from the front seat camera. Great job.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just stay out of Robinsons
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]
My father in law was a flight test engineer for Bell Helicopter.  Worked on some really big projects.

He had a directive for the family.  NOBODY EVER TAKES A HELICOPTER RIDE ANYWHERE.  He always said unless run by airline or the military, helicopters overall were much to fragile and hard to maintain independently to EVER take a ride for a tour or other type of entertainment.  

A guy who flew in experimental military aircraft to test them would not, even on a bet, take any kind of tour in a private helicopter.  And repeatedly stated they were death traps in wait.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Good job on the pilot, everybody stepped out and walked away.
Made the right decisions and carried them out pretty quick.
No engine and low rotor rpm warning at that height, good balancing act in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Pilot checks pants for poop all good play it off going for cellphone.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#26]
First time in a helicopter was in a Robinson. Climbed in, pilot fired up the engine. Sounded a lot like a lawn mower engine. Was not inspired with great confidence. We did survive the flight without crashing, so I got that going for me...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:24:15 AM EDT
[#27]
The warning buzzers are never a good sign, but any crash you can walk away from is a good one.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:25:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
No it  is not, they only want to do one thing, stop flying and kill you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Did he take those VCL's offline and engage auto rotation
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYBf3XPwvaU

View from the front seat!
View Quote
pilot was calm as a cucumber..........  I would  be pulling my drawers out of my ass for a week.......

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:41:54 AM EDT
[#31]
the vid from the front seat is the one I am most impressed with, he bled almost all the energy out of the rotor setting down.  Awesome pilot in my opinion.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:47:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Was reading an article on the design flaws on the Robinson's not long ago.

If I remember right, one of the big ones was that they had rotors that tended to literally separate/come apart in flight at some load level that wasn't uncommon (Im sure someone else can explain this better).

The crash happened right after the helo had a pretty wide swing out which eventually turned it to the port side heading where it eventually landed. There was also a noise (if it wasn't camera wind noise) at the same time.

Rotor partially come apart?

eta - Nevermind. Just read that someone said there was a no engine light.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:53:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Whoa. Pretty gnarly. Good hunting
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:54:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They can send the vid to http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/01/robinson-r44-ii-n322sh-accident.html?m=1

Once they pilot gives the OK, of course.

Very lucky.

I assume the boom came off with the impact, not self-destructed in flight, because he retained directional control.

With my crummy phone sound, damn near sounded like it threw a frigging rod.
View Quote

Looks like it was cut off by the big blades, see the angle.

Someone forgot to top of the fuel tanks?

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:01:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Good landing given the circumstances
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:02:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Damn, pilot was cool as a cucumber.

Bet your friends were pissed they didn't get to shoot hogs. Close call, great job by your pilot. Hope you tipped well.

Glad nobody was seriously hurt.
View Quote

I don't know

Id rank "walked away from a helicopter crash" as cooler than "shot hogs from a helicopter"
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Yea I use to have an aerial surveying job years ago.  Lots of hours in a heli.  Have been in a serious auto rotation on lift off in a Llama.  Been in a R66 that had a tail shaft bearing let go.  

The office wants me to fly in the R44 all the time.  I hate Robinsons.  I tell them to put the young kids in them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:33:41 AM EDT
[#38]
What caliber rifles?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:46:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Life tip avoid piston engined choppers, particularly loaded Robinson R22 and R44 - they are gutless wonders.  

That was a lucky day for those involved.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:59:51 AM EDT
[#40]
The part I got a giggle out of was FastblueR6 is the first & only comment on YT  

OP are you going to tell us what broke ?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:11:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

A collection of parts that have temporarily decided to fly together in formation...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:28:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Did he take those VCL's offline and engage auto rotation
View Quote

Think you meant  PCLs = Power Control Levers

Turbine Multiengine Helicopter Thing.  

a single Piston engine like a Robinson has a mere twist throttle on the Collective stick.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Note to self: do NOT ride in a helicopter that looks like a golf cart from the inside.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:12:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Man that pilot was so cool I thought he was just landing at first. Good thing they were going low and slow.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My father in law was a flight test engineer for Bell Helicopter.  Worked on some really big projects.

He had a directive for the family.  NOBODY EVER TAKES A HELICOPTER RIDE ANYWHERE.  He always said unless run by airline or the military, helicopters overall were much to fragile and hard to maintain independently to EVER take a ride for a tour or other type of entertainment.  

A guy who flew in experimental military aircraft to test them would not, even on a bet, take any kind of tour in a private helicopter.  And repeatedly stated they were death traps in wait.
View Quote

I can believe this. The kind of maintenance they need is so expensive, the stories of private operators taking shortcuts are legion.

And as we saw in the case of Lebron James, if your pilot is a jackass flying in bad conditions, then it doesn't matter how well maintained the thing is.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I can believe this. The kind of maintenance they need is so expensive, the stories of private operators taking shortcuts are legion.

And as we saw in the case of Lebron James, if your pilot is a jackass flying in bad conditions, then it doesn't matter how well maintained the thing is.
View Quote

The helicopter was current on maintenance and both the engine and airframe were barely broken in (less than 300 hrs).  

The cause of the engine failure is currently under investigation.  I don't know how thoroughy the feds investigate something like this but I am sure someone on here does.  Perhaps they tear the aircraft down to every nut and bolt to find out what happened, maybe not.  

Sometimes shit happens.  Shit appears to happen more often in a Robinson based on comments from the helicopter pilots on here but if it is purely an engine failure issue I would place the responsibly with Lycoming rather than Robinson.  

Had that same engine shit the bed in a fixed wing aircraft in climb out at the same airport and the same altitude I can tell you for certain that the pilot wouldn't have done nearly as well as Jaycee did in the video unless they managed to clear the power line and put it down right in the middle of the Breckenridge highway.  

Granted, Robinson chooses to put a piston engine in their helicopters but I don't see how you could do otherwise and still keep the price within reach of the target market.

On an unrelated point, it was Kobe Bryant that died in that crash not Lebron James.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Front fell off.
View Quote
It's been towed outside the environment.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#48]
I road several times in a DHS Blackhawk between Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands and that was enough for me
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What caliber rifles?
View Quote
Straight up 5.56 ARs.
Using fmj.

You can see the hogs shrug off some hits.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The helicopter was current on maintenance and both the engine and airframe were barely broken in (less than 300 hrs).  

The cause of the engine failure is currently under investigation.  I don't know how thoroughy the feds investigate something like this but I am sure someone on here does.  Perhaps they tear the aircraft down to every nut and bolt to find out what happened, maybe not.  

Sometimes shit happens.  Shit appears to happen more often in a Robinson based on comments from the helicopter pilots on here but if it is purely an engine failure issue I would place the responsibly with Lycoming rather than Robinson.  

Had that same engine shit the bed in a fixed wing aircraft in climb out at the same airport and the same altitude I can tell you for certain that the pilot wouldn't have done nearly as well as Jaycee did in the video unless they managed to clear the power line and put it down right in the middle of the Breckenridge highway.  

Granted, Robinson chooses to put a piston engine in their helicopters but I don't see how you could do otherwise and still keep the price within reach of the target market.

On an unrelated point, it was Kobe Bryant that died in that crash not Lebron James.
View Quote
Jaycee said the FAA came out and put the chopper on a trailer. I'm guessing they tear it apart. I'll update when I know more.

It was definitely engine failure though. What failed, dunno?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top