Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/10/2023 3:46:48 AM EDT
I bought one of their brisket sandwiches and the after taste in my mouth tasted like someone had dumped an ash tray in my mouth. Garbage…
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:51:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The beaver frowns upon your shenanigans.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to pay extra for the ashtray dumped on top of it.  Next time tell them to hold that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The beaver should provide better brisket.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:59:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The beaver should provide better brisket.
View Quote

Seriously tho, its not gourmet by any stretch but... I've never had "bad" brisket there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:20:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I've tried it a couple times and it was always smothered in a disgusting sauce that overpowered everything.  My grandpa taught me that you only cover bbq in sauce when it's low quality bbq. Quality bbq doesn't need sauce.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:25:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Found myself in Alabama last weekend.  Went to a rib place in Birmingham called Dreamland, which had great reviews.  Worst damn ribs I've ever had in my life.  Couldn't gnaw enough meat off the bone to get a full bite.  Bucees was the best barbecue I had the entire time I was there, so in my mind, it's the best brisket in Alabama.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Gas, turkey melt, jerky, and deer corn is just about all I ever buy at the one down the road from me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seriously tho, its not gourmet by any stretch but... I've never had "bad" brisket there.
View Quote

This is a losing battle, defending the okay to pretty good nature of a local chain gas station

Some guy on the internet tells you all the food you've eaten half your life is worse than dog food. As if he's lived his entire life in the bistros of paris and lyon

By reasonable standards it is pretty good, or at least acceptable

But you need to answer for ANY bad sandwich
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#9]
He who eats at Bucees to report about his gourmet experience probably reserves his wedding party at Denny's.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#10]
did they burn it or something?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
The old saying “It’ll make a turd” can be used here. It’s probably in between Rudy’s and Dickey’s which saying much. It’s a shame some people think it’s a good example of Texas Bar B Que.  There are hundreds of places that make better Bar B Que than them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#12]
@LUG1 will be awake in a few hours.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:11:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Found myself in Alabama last weekend.  Went to a rib place in Birmingham called Dreamland, which had great reviews.  Worst damn ribs I've ever had in my life.  Couldn't gnaw enough meat off the bone to get a full bite.  Bucees was the best barbecue I had the entire time I was there, so in my mind, it's the best brisket in Alabama.  
View Quote

Funny, I just had a similar experience.  I flew out to NC for business and decided to go down to Alabama to see a friend.  On the way I stopped at a supposedly good BBQ place in SC and had a platter of brisket and pork, and wasn't impressed with either.

The next day I stopped at Bucees to get gas and decided to give their pork sandwich a try.  It wasn't the best I have ever had but it was good, way better pork than I ate the night before.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:31:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The old saying "It'll make a turd" can be used here. It's probably in between Rudy's and Dickey's which saying much. It's a shame some people think it's a good example of Texas Bar B Que.  There are hundreds of places that make better Bar B Que than them.
View Quote
But they do have excellent gasoline.
Which is all I ask of a gas station.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Most of us don't expect to find good brisket at convenience stores. The only place you consistently find good food at convenience stores is south Louisiana.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, their bathrooms are usually nice and clean.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I went to a bbq place the other day, the restrooms weren't clean, no fuel pumps, and no cheap ice. The place sucked to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't mind the meat so much, it is just under Dickie's brisket, eatable but not what I would call "good" Texas Brisket.  The worst part is actually the bun.  They use some really shitty chalky buns, that is what OP is probably talking about.  Seriously, the store brand buns at family dollar are better.  With as much as they charge for a simple brisket sandwich, they should have epic bread.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#19]
We thank you for your opinion. Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife and I had BBQ in Huntsville , AL , years ago.
She ordered brisket.
When it came out, she told the server that she had ordered brisket, and the server told her “this is brisket”.

Wife replied “ we’re from Texas, and no it isn’t”.

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

The original Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is the only one worth going to.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Is it OK for gas station food?  Yes.  Is it the greatest ever?  No chance.  

We have a great BBQ joint my buddy owns.    One of my friends finally went there and texted me what should he get.  Told him everything is great.  He got a brisket sandwich and said it was better than Buccees.  I said if that's your standard, it won't take much to top it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My wife and I had BBQ in Huntsville , AL , years ago.
She ordered brisket.
When it came out, she told the server that she had ordered brisket, and the server told her “this is brisket”.

Wife replied “ we’re from Texas, and no it isn’t”.

View Quote

Yeah. Huntsville sucks. Shocker.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree, OP. It’s trash can food.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've tried it a couple times and it was always smothered in a disgusting sauce that overpowered everything.  My grandpa taught me that you only cover bbq in sauce when it's low quality bbq. Quality bbq doesn't need sauce.
View Quote

Wait, you mean to say a 7$ gas station bbq sandwich isn't the pinnacle of the art of smoking meats?

It is what it is, and it's pretty good for what it is.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#26]
The Rule is, if they don't have a smoker, they don't have BBQ.

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is a losing battle, defending the okay to pretty good nature of a local chain gas station

Some guy on the internet tells you all the food you've eaten half your life is worse than dog food. As if he's lived his entire life in the bistros of paris and lyon

By reasonable standards it is pretty good, or at least acceptable

But you need to answer for ANY bad sandwich
View Quote

No shit.  Is it just an arfcom thing to be such a drama queen about food?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I went to a bbq place the other day, the restrooms weren't clean, no fuel pumps, and no cheap ice. The place sucked to say the least.
View Quote

I think I'm picking up what you're laying down. I'm guessing most here won't...
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No shit.  Is it just an arfcom thing to be such a drama queen about food?
View Quote

Look at all of the top tier stuff GD insists on eating and the volume of food some of these guys eat. At Arf GD, we have the most expensive shit in the world.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#30]
This.

The meat is drenched in wayyyy to much sauce.  Probably to hide the fact that it doesn't have a lot of flavor to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I only get the sliced brisket when there and it has always been pretty good.  They sell who knows how many brisket sandwiches a year, odds are there will be a few bad ones along the way.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dreamland is shit. Not sure who they bribbed to get top spot but guessing their presence in Tuscaloosa made a difference in Tide country.  Full Moon is the best chain bbq imho. Lots of amazing smaller places. Bob Sykes is great. Golden rule (now archies ) - but they dont do ribs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Their breakfast burrito is much better than the bbq sandwich.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Buccees brisket is terrible. It makes Dickies and Rudys look like tier 1 brisket. Why does Texas bbq suck?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dreamland went to shit years ago.  Best oround there is promised land in west blockton.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Buccees brisket is terrible. It makes Dickies and Rudys look like tier 1 brisket. Why does Texas bbq suck?
View Quote

You shut your whore mouth. We don't judge Texas bbq by chain store or gas station offerings.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Buys gas station food,
Complains about quality
GD laughs and laughs
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are correct my friend. so dreamy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#39]
It’s been said a few different ways here
Buccees is a gas station and these are basically premade gas station chopped beef sandwiches.
Chopped beef brisket sandwiches are typically pre sauced and bucccees goes a little heavy on the sauce sometimes and the sandwiches although usually fairly fresh still soggy the bun some.
So it’s a good snack on the run with obvious limitations but not even near what a Rudy’s would give you.
Pretty close to a chopped beef experience at Bill Miller.

Buccees - amazing because  there’s
Always a pump available for gas
Always a clean bathroom available
If you can’t find a souveneer or a decent snack, you can’t be pleased

But it  ain’t tier 1 bbq.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Me like. You no like. Is ok.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#41]
So you bought food at a gas station, and it wasn't impressive.
Ok
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#42]
It's a gas station, what did you expect? It ain't tier 1, but I find it more than adequate when hungry.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I mean it’s gas station brisket, and while I don’t like the brisket on the sandwich, give me that egg and brisket breakfast wrap.

That brisket egg breakfast wrap slaps, no cap
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I loved it. Then again, we mostly do pork Q around these parts.  Only complaint was sauce was a bit too sweet.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He who eats at Bucees to report about his gourmet experience probably reserves his wedding party at Denny's.
View Quote

You laugh, I worked at Dennys years ago, one of the cooks had his reception there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same.

I’d prefer they leave off the sauce but I realize most Americans want sugar on their food.

Why does OP hate capitalism?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Should have went to Rudy's if you wanted gas station smoked meats.

ETA: Always get the club melt, ALWAYS!
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Me like. You no like. Is ok.
View Quote

Well, GD does have a palette of cardboard, so.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Their brisket is fine for what it is - a gas station sandwich. A literal sandwich made and sold in a gas station.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was really underwhelmed by it. It's not bad as they managed not to overcook the shit out of it but the sauce and bun were beyond average. If THAT'S their flagship draw I dont get why people rave about it. The jerky was pretty good though and the beaver nuggets were fun but felt like I was eating straight diabetes. Clean bathrooms were the only thing I was really impressed with. Leave it to the South to have a dedicated fandom to a truck stop brand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top