User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She let a strange unrestrained abandoned dog in her home?

Would anyone here do that with any breed under those circumstances?
View Quote

Nope.  And I have pitbulls, a gsd, and a pyrenees mix. Anyone who brings in an adult dog, especially a strong breed and gives it free run is nuts.  I have a 3 week shut down in crate and introduction period.  And afterwards, the new dog is still not alone with another  dog until I’ve had a while to assess and make sure all is well.  We have no kids in the home.  In all, it’s my pyrenees mix one had better watch out for, strange people and animals.  The gsd too, but she’s 12, so can’t really do her thing now.  The pits, they love everyone they meet and attend dog daycare on occasion. They have never tried to so much as bite another dog.  Not so much with the old gal.  She’d go after the other dogs at schutzhund training.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
We could actually make a list of pit bull owner excuses.

1) It's not the dog, it's the owner.

2)...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We could actually make a list of pit bull owner excuses.

1) It's not the dog, it's the owner.

2)...
View Quote

I’d say it’s a mix.  Owner and genetics.  Only a fool would ignore the history of the pit.  There are still game bloodlines today, and as much as I Iike them, I wouldn’t want one.  Too much dog for me, I’d rather have a cane corso. Most of what people call pits are actually staffys or mixes, and many just block heads that are labeled pits.  Aside from the staffy and pit mixes, you don’t know what’s in the mix or the genetics.  Toss in the prey of the terrier and the jaw of a bull dog, mixed with who knows what, and it’s a crap shoot.  Honestly, most people couldn’t pick out a true APBT from a line up if one but them.  They’d pick another bully breed or sometimes nothing near a pit bc of looks.

Here in the south, the pit or staffy, whatever, is the lab of the north.  They are everywhere bc assholes keep breeding.  Our city spays and neuters pures and bully mixes for free.  I took them up on it bc I hate seeing so many good ones die in shelters bc not enough qualified homes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A friend was bitten by a German shepherd police dog. Just waking in his neighborhood.  The dog left the off duty officers property, went over 200 ft to the person walking, circled him and bit him in the ass leaving a 6 gash. Ignored the cop.

Well trained animal, no doubt.

I’ve been bitten. By a corgi, a chihuahua and a German shepherd. Twice.

Btw

Is there an AKC registered pit bull breed?

Is an AmStaff a pit bull.? By what definition?

I own one. For almost 5 years. Since weening.

My grandsons bother him, he gets up and leaves the room.  

The other AmStaff owner I know has had there dog for eight years.  Damn dog is afraid of their cat.

I get it. But I don’t get the bigotry.

My dog is neutered. He gets an hour at least outside every day. He’s a gentleman on the leash as well. And playing ball with the kids. He ignores my neighbors three free roaming dogs, a boxer, a lab, and a golden.
Dog parks no problem. Except the one asshole dykes unneutred Great Dane that was chesting all the other dogs and sniffing up the females. My dog ignored him and played, until the 3-4th time the Dane tried to roll him over.

That Dane was on his back in a second with my terrier on his neck. He released in command and went back to playing while I almost decked the Danes owner as she came after me. The rest of the owners, with spayed and neutered dogs ran her dumb ass off.

Owners and training matters

View Quote

Wow.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:21:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I ask lab owners "Do you hunt him"? I want to ask pit owners "Do you fight him?".
View Quote

This is very wise post.

I have met many "nice" pit bulls in my time. I used to own and breed the English Staffordshire Bull Terriers, some people get them confused with Pits but they are a different breed. The thing that most "pet" owners forget is that dogs are tools, they are like livestock but we have this irrational emotional attachment to them because they give us unconditional love (until they eat us).

I know, for a fact, that a Staffordshire Bull Terrier will fight other dogs if I encourage it and train it, they will do it for enjoyment and they are good at it. The history of the dog is bear baiting and dog fighting, but any dog that was human aggressive was instantly killed. The will to fight is innate in them, the skills are there too because WE bread them to do it. If you are careful and never encourage them to fight or kill, make sure they don't get a taste for killing then they are one of the best family pets ever. But, by our own design, they have the capability to be very very dog aggressive and they think it's "play" or their job we want them to do. Same with Fox Terriers, they will kill rats out of enjoyment and instinct, it was their job.

With Pit Bulls, they were taken to the next level and the history of the breed is pit fighting. We designed them to be a tool, a tool to win a pit fight and money. ONLY the best were chosen and there is no way to deny that they are good at it, enjoy it, and they have the instinct to fight, we WANTED those traits. We created the tool but now uneducated people deny their dog is capable of killing because it's been a fantastic 'puppy' all its life.

The problem I have seen with Pit's is they don't have an off switch, it is extremely difficult to stop them fighting or killing once they start, even if they have never had a dog fight killed another animal, and this is by design. Once that switch is flipped they act on instincts and they fight to the death, and they enjoy it. That is why they are horrible guard dogs and never used for protection work.

Personally, I never ever trust any dogs with Children because I have seen what happens when a dog goes into fight mode. I have seen a pack of small dogs, the biggest was a Corgi, kill lambs out of sheer enjoyment, it was instinctual and amazing to watch as it happened within 30 seconds. But with Pits, the added instincts we bread into them make a possibility of a bad situation so much higher and because of their abilities, they can do so much damage so dam fast.

Never trust any dogs alone with Children, ever, no matter what you think about them because they are fucking animals and can be unpredictable, no matter how much we "love" them.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
That poor little baby...I can't imagine how painful and terrifying his last moments were. And put in that position by someone who was simply supposed to keep him safe
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Bad dogs, bad people. Simple.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bet the kid antagonized it
View Quote

PDS - Pitbull Derangement Syndrome
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is very wise post.

I have met many "nice" pit bulls in my time. I used to own and breed the English Staffordshire Bull Terriers, some people get them confused with Pits but they are a different breed. The thing that most "pet" owners forget is that dogs are tools, they are like livestock but we have this irrational emotional attachment to them because they give us unconditional love (until they eat us).

I know, for a fact, that a Staffordshire Bull Terrier will fight other dogs if I encourage it and train it, they will do it for enjoyment and they are good at it. The history of the dog is bear baiting and dog fighting, but any dog that was human aggressive was instantly killed. The will to fight is innate in them, the skills are there too because WE bread them to do it. If you are careful and never encourage them to fight or kill, make sure they don't get a taste for killing then they are one of the best family pets ever. But, by our own design, they have the capability to be very very dog aggressive and they think it's "play" or their job we want them to do. Same with Fox Terriers, they will kill rats out of enjoyment and instinct, it was their job.

With Pit Bulls, they were taken to the next level and the history of the breed is pit fighting. We designed them to be a tool, a tool to win a pit fight and money. ONLY the best were chosen and there is no way to deny that they are good at it, enjoy it, and they have the instinct to fight, we WANTED those traits. We created the tool but now uneducated people deny their dog is capable of killing because it's been a fantastic 'puppy' all its life.

The problem I have seen with Pit's is they don't have an off switch, it is extremely difficult to stop them fighting or killing once they start, even if they have never had a dog fight killed another animal, and this is by design. Once that switch is flipped they act on instincts and they fight to the death, and they enjoy it. That is why they are horrible guard dogs and never used for protection work.

Personally, I never ever trust any dogs with Children because I have seen what happens when a dog goes into fight mode. I have seen a pack of small dogs, the biggest was a Corgi, kill lambs out of sheer enjoyment, it was instinctual and amazing to watch as it happened within 30 seconds. But with Pits, the added instincts we bread into them make a possibility of a bad situation so much higher and because of their abilities, they can do so much damage so dam fast.

Never trust any dogs alone with Children, ever, no matter what you think about them because they are fucking animals and can be unpredictable, no matter how much we "love" them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ask lab owners "Do you hunt him"? I want to ask pit owners "Do you fight him?".

This is very wise post.

This is an excellent post re history and 2 of the breeds, thank you.  And truth.  Humans created these breeds for a purpose, humans are great at screwing things up and exploiting animals for human purposes.  Terrier and bull cross?  What could go wrong?  They can be great pets, just not great with other dogs.  What causes them to attack humans?  Wires crossed?  The mixture of who knows what in many of them?  In those days, human aggressive as were culled bc the handlers didn’t want dogs who would turn on them.

To own bullies and any other strong working breed, the owner must be responsible.  There is the duty to protect others as well as the dog.  Even if innocent, but reacts to a dog off leash who intrudes on its space like most dogs will do, the bully will be blamed.  Shit people let them run loose, breed, starve.  With any animal, they need to be secured, vetted, protected.  And no dog parks.  I see them there, but mine would never be allowed.  For their protection.  People dress them in clothes and say “how cute.” They ignore what they are capable of.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Deleted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you call a dog breed a "ghetto rat" but you can't be bothered to control your dog, especially a longhair that you were foolish enough to own in godforsaken Florida.

Deleted.

I think the mods understand that a guy like that isn't undeserving of heightened criticism.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
RIP little guy.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Something, something..........fable of the frog and the scorpion........something.........
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I've worked in many houses around many dogs, I was bitten twice, once by a Husky and once by a Dachshund.
Never had a problem around Pit Bulls. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
News flash, no different than a story on guns killing.

The dog isn't a pit bull, but a mix of some terrier breeds.  

No different than a description of gun only to get it wrong.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
News flash, no different than a story on guns killing.

The dog isn't a pit bull, but a mix of some terrier breeds.  

No different than a description of gun only to get it wrong.
View Quote

It's different bc responsible ownership of a dog bred for fighting is not the same as a gun which requires a person to operate and one acts autonomously.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#16]

My sister lives in that shit hole town Brunson.   I just text her to ask about this.  She confirmed the story and added the mother had a shovel beating the dog to get it off her kid.  It didn't work of course.   Trying to find more details.  She does not know the people personally, just what she hears.

Also, my  mother lives there as well.  Called animal control a bunch of times about stray cats, breeding like crazy around her house.  They wont do anything.  

Shit hole town in a shit hole county.  I left in 95.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Poor kid. I never understood the mentality of someone who defends the breed by saying don't blame the dog, it's about how they were raised/trained, and then adopt some fully grown dog with zero information into its background.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top