Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Who's right and who's wrong doesn't matter. What you're thinking is "love" doesn't matter either.

What matters is compatibility.

And she'll come to resent you if you "convert her" because it won't come from her heart and that will lead to bad, bad things - especially, if children are involved.

I've put a lot of effort into a lot of relationships, but I'd say goodbye to this one.

Hate to say it, but that's it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kids are gonna be gay whether you tell them it's wrong or not imo.

Also eternal damnation for being gay, really lol? What loving God would do that to his own children. Seriously
View Quote

That's not how it works. You clearly don't understand Christianity, salvation, who God calls His own, or why people end up in hell.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Thanks.

And LOL @ that pic!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are arguing about religion and kids prior to marriage, just imagine how much trouble it will be in 10 years, or 20.  I know you love her, but if you love your future children (and yourself), you will find a wife who shares your basic world view.  The alternative is usually chaos (there are exceptions, but I'd be very leary about assuming you are the exception).

Go get a wife who shares your world view.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey guys sorry for not replying on this thread sooner. These past couple weeks have been kinda crazy with all of this going on. My GF and I are in the process of slowly splitting up over this, and neither of us hate the other we are just very sad. I'm expecting this to be a full split within the next month or so. I'm trying to ease her into it as she is very hurt that I've "changed" and am taking faith more seriously now.

Those of you who are stating that we have been living in sin by premarital sex and other things are correct. I knew they were wrong at the time but I didn't take it very seriously when we started seeing each other. As I mentioned before, I really didn't take my faith seriously until the past year or so and now I'm waking up to this. The difference between us in terms of our views on engaging in homosexuality is that I know and believe that its wrong, and she doesn't believe it is wrong at all. There is a difference between knowing and believing something is wrong and then disregarding it anyways, and not believing it is wrong in the first place. Again, this is the impasse we are at and as most of you have said, it is unlikely we will be able to come to an agreement on it.

I also agree with those who say forcing her to become a Christian is not a good idea. I even told her I wouldn't do that, and that I wanted her to want it. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, she was raised in a politically left leaning household (her mother is a hard core leftist), and undoing 30yrs of liberal programming is a nearly impossible task. She was raised to view the church negatively, especially the Catholic Church, because her mother was "kicked out" of catechism as a child - although I suspect theres more to that I haven't been told. She grew up in a predominantly Catholic neighborhood on the border of Detroit and most of her neighbors growing up were Catholic, however her mother's toxic personality effectively made their family shunned by the rest of the neighborhood. They chalked their social isolation up to them not going to church like the rest of their neighbors, but I don't believe that is true.

Some of you (especially @ValleyGunner) have posted in here about the Catholic Church specifically. I actually called and spoke with a catholic priest at my parents parish (who is my age) about this entire issue. He echoed what has been said by most of you here, and explained that it wouldn't be right to raise a family with two parents who disagree on this core value. I'll be honest, all of this has actually made me consider coming back to the Catholic Church. No guarantees but I may be coming back. Time will tell.

In summary, breaking this off is really hard but I know logically its for the best. This was my first long-term relationship so emotionally its very difficult to let go. My biggest fear is that I will not be able to find another woman who loves me this much or who I can trust like this but I know its best for me to put my faith in God to help me down my path if life whatever that may be. I'm seriously considering moving out of Michigan after our split, mainly because I want a fresh start on life. I work remotely so this is something I can easily do with my job.

Thank you to all who have offered me advice and posted in here. I'm at what is essentially the beginning of a larger faith journey and your support is very helpful and needed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey guys sorry for not replying on this thread sooner. These past couple weeks have been kinda crazy with all of this going on. My GF and I are in the process of slowly splitting up over this, and neither of us hate the other we are just very sad. I'm expecting this to be a full split within the next month or so. I'm trying to ease her into it as she is very hurt that I've "changed" and am taking faith more seriously now.

Those of you who are stating that we have been living in sin by premarital sex and other things are correct. I knew they were wrong at the time but I didn't take it very seriously when we started seeing each other. As I mentioned before, I really didn't take my faith seriously until the past year or so and now I'm waking up to this. The difference between us in terms of our views on engaging in homosexuality is that I know and believe that its wrong, and she doesn't believe it is wrong at all. There is a difference between knowing and believing something is wrong and then disregarding it anyways, and not believing it is wrong in the first place. Again, this is the impasse we are at and as most of you have said, it is unlikely we will be able to come to an agreement on it.

I also agree with those who say forcing her to become a Christian is not a good idea. I even told her I wouldn't do that, and that I wanted her to want it. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, she was raised in a politically left leaning household (her mother is a hard core leftist), and undoing 30yrs of liberal programming is a nearly impossible task. She was raised to view the church negatively, especially the Catholic Church, because her mother was "kicked out" of catechism as a child - although I suspect theres more to that I haven't been told. She grew up in a predominantly Catholic neighborhood on the border of Detroit and most of her neighbors growing up were Catholic, however her mother's toxic personality effectively made their family shunned by the rest of the neighborhood. They chalked their social isolation up to them not going to church like the rest of their neighbors, but I don't believe that is true.

Some of you (especially @ValleyGunner) have posted in here about the Catholic Church specifically. I actually called and spoke with a catholic priest at my parents parish (who is my age) about this entire issue. He echoed what has been said by most of you here, and explained that it wouldn't be right to raise a family with two parents who disagree on this core value. I'll be honest, all of this has actually made me consider coming back to the Catholic Church. No guarantees but I may be coming back. Time will tell.

In summary, breaking this off is really hard but I know logically its for the best. This was my first long-term relationship so emotionally its very difficult to let go. My biggest fear is that I will not be able to find another woman who loves me this much or who I can trust like this but I know its best for me to put my faith in God to help me down my path if life whatever that may be. I'm seriously considering moving out of Michigan after our split, mainly because I want a fresh start on life. I work remotely so this is something I can easily do with my job.

Thank you to all who have offered me advice and posted in here. I'm at what is essentially the beginning of a larger faith journey and your support is very helpful and needed.
View Quote

I think you'll be happier in the long run.   Pray and search.  My life is very blessed being married to a partner in faith.   It makes our home happy and our children are supported.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You are doing what a good man would do, ensuring that your future kids have a mother that is equally yolked in your faith.  

Ignore the critics.  You are on the way to your destination as a man, a leader, a father, and the head of your home with a Godly wife by your side.

Do so proudly, unapologetic to those who will never get there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll continue to pray for you OP.  A faithful family is an amazing thing.  Whether it's praying before every meal, saying a decade of the Rosery at night, encouraging your kids to pray about a problem they're having.. its amazing.

I was raised catholic and attended catholic schools, but my wife's family was who really brought me closer to my faith.  I very much enjoy our faith being at the center of our family.  Everything has so much more purpose when you keep God at the center of your life.  

It's worth pursuing a partner who can share it with!  Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So you're going to break up with her after 5 years not because she is gay or wants you to do gay but because you think gay is wrong and she doesn't.

Glass houses and stones comes to mind.

You're doing her a favor.

View Quote

Came to post exactly this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Relativists are the vanguard of Liberalism.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're going to break up with her after 5 years not because she is gay or wants you to do gay but because you think gay is wrong and she doesn't.

Glass houses and stones comes to mind.

You're doing her a favor.

With liberal and lukewarm spouses you usually get the whole basket of progressive beliefs to deal with, not just the acceptance of the active homosexual lifestyle that may or may not ever affect your immediate family.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Say Goodbye and Run like Hell!  If you continue to stay your life without a doubt would become terrible!
When I was younger and dating, if a girl I was dating didn't believe in Jesus, I dropped here like a HOT potato!! I found a beautiful girl who was on the same page as me, We are Catholic and have been married for 32 years!!! It REALLY matters!!
Good luck my friend!!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top