Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2021 5:08:20 AM EDT
I have a shop in my B/Y and have a couple tools(30 gallon air compressor, Dewalt 735 planer) that will sometimes trip a breaker at startup. Both are 110V and when they trip they do within a fraction of a second only at startup. I've got 121V at the plugs and they are 20A breakers on 12g wire. My power comes off the meter base to a 200A breaker just below and off that the service that feeds my house & a 100A service that runs ~ 120' to my shop(don't remember what gauge wire but sized properly). I am going to check all my connections to be sure they are tight but I am 99% sure they all are unless the lugs on the Aluminum service have "loosened up". I'm only using 1 tool at a time. Shop panel is a Square D Homeline "I think". I have no problems when running the tools. I planed enough wood to fill 2 large garbage bags and it never tripped/shut off during use. None of my other higher current tools give me any issues(table saw, miter saw).
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Air compressors have very high start loads as they are working against pressure.

The first thing I would do is replace the breaker, once it's popped a few times it tends to open before it's rated load is achieved.

Length of run is probably part of your issue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Replace the breaker.

You can also measure voltage drop when something is starting just to verify.

But I doubt that’s the issue.

Could be a going bad capacitor on the motors etc.
Start with the breaker.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:31:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it an arc fault breaker? Those really suck.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Length of run is probably part of your issue
View Quote

Both these recpt. are within 10' of the panel so they should be good.

I'll get to look at it tomorrow and I'll check/try everything mentioned.

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it an arc fault breaker? Those really suck.
View Quote

No, just a regular 'ol breaker.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Older pics.

Panel is behind the drill press. 2 plugs are on different breakers.

1 plug is behind the hammers
Attachment Attached File

2nd, AC is right above it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks all!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Length of run is probably part of your issue

Thanks all!

I mean the run from the house to the workshop.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this a SqD QO panel? Not sure about their Homeline brand, but I do know that QO has a lower inrush trip threshold than most other brands.

I've had to replace a few of their standard breakers with high magnetic breakers before.

link
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I mean the run from the house to the workshop.
View Quote

Don't remember the size wire but it was sized(or was supposed to be) for the length of run it made.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is this a SqD QO panel? Not sure about their Homeline brand, but I do know that QO has a lower inrush trip threshold than most other brands.

I've had to replace a few of their standard breakers with high magnetic breakers before.

link
View Quote

That might be the issue I do think it is a QO panel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have 220VAC available in the shop also? Most compressors can be reconfigured for 220 and that will drop its amperage requirement.
View Quote

I do, I'll look into that also.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Was just looking around at breakers and saw this...

"the QO has the fastest trip mechanism of any breaker"

So yea I bet that is going to be my issue. Now to find another type/brand that is compatible if any are. Hopefully I won't have to replace the box.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Was just looking around at breakers and saw this...

"the QO has the fastest trip mechanism of any breaker"

So yea I bet that is going to be my issue. Now to find another type/brand that is compatible if any are. Hopefully I won't have to replace the box.
View Quote

The link in my last post is the high magnetic version, which has a higher trip threshold than the standard QO, for $17 on amazon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Not going to have time to check stuff tonight but it is a homeline panel.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Talked with my electrical distributor today and he claims Square D is nearly 10,000 pieces in the hole with this breaker due to production delays blamed on Covid.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I did get a chance to look at it. All connections were tight at breakers, recpt's, neutral/ground bars & main lugs. Put my amp meter on A/C and highest current it would display at startup was 15A and ran at 13.5A. Planer was 24A at startup and ran at ~10A(I think it was). I did swap the breakers with others in the panel & moved them to a different phase(they were both on "A" now on "B"). So I'll see what happens. A/C is on 1 circuit & I use the planer on 3 other circuits depending on where I set it up at. If I keep having issues I guess I'll pick up 4 high magnetic breakers for those 4 circuits.
Thanks to all.

ETA... neither of them will convert to 220V
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Chances are your amp meter will not pick up inrush.

You say you have 121vac with nothing running. Check the voltage at the receptacle with the compressor running. Ideally the voltage drop would be less than 5%. Its suppose to be 3% or less, but up to 5% drop is ok with a 13+ amp draw.

It could also be a capacitor on its way out too, as already mentioned in this thread, but the breaker should be replaced after tripping anyway, and the HM breakers are not that much more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Chances are your amp meter will not pick up inrush.

You say you have 121vac with nothing running. Check the voltage at the receptacle with the compressor running. Ideally the voltage drop would be less than 5%. Its suppose to be 3% or less, but up to 5% drop is ok with a 13+ amp draw.  

I got 120V at the recpt. with the comp. running
I'd say that is pretty good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got 120V at the recpt. with the comp. running

View Quote

That tells me that not only is your wire sized properly but also that your connections are rock solid too. Good job.

If your meter reads Microfarads (µF) you can check your caps. Also look for any bulging in the cap.

I'm betting the HM breakers will cure your problem though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Homeline High Magnetic Breaker

I don't have much experience with the Homeline as I don't do much residential, but I would think their inrush tolerance is inline with their QO brand.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#23]
You can also increase the rating of the breaker to allow for reliable starting.
The breaker is providing short circuit protection for the feeds.
Induction motors have built in temperature sensors that will not allow them to overload feeds.

See that little red reset button on the motor?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top