Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2023 9:09:43 PM EDT
My girl bought me a set of the 1090’s (adjustable from 10lbs - 90lbs). I despised the grip but otherwise I was pretty happy with them. This weekend my Average Joe upgrades showed up.. what a night and day difference, highly recommend!

I went with his 40mm grips, dial kit, gen 3 disc kit, end caps and locking pins. He has all of these available as “factory seconds” for 25% off. All cosmetic blemishes from what I can see. You replace all plastic factory parts with metal so it’s a bump in weight. He’s got a set of weight plates coming out too to increase these and the smaller bowflex set.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
That's interesting.

I've had the 1090's for YEARS now. Never looked at upgrades.

There was a handle recall many years ago; I think I still have my old handles in the attic. Maybe I'll put that on the list and upgrade the old stuff.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Can not recommend.

I had the plastic nub on the plate shear off and bowflex “we don’t sell parts.”

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can not recommend.

View Quote

The link in the OP sells the steel replacement part.  But i get it, at the price these shouldn't need upgrading.

I've got the 2.5-57 (?).  Had planned to upgrade them, but since they're not heavy enough anymore I just set them to the side.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Can not recommend.

View Quote

I know what you’re talking about, that was an issue with the early weight plates. There was a fix for it but they’ve changed the design. Now that little locking tab is metal and it’s riveted on. Average Joe released a video where he’s designing new weight plates that will be all metal and increase the 1090’s to 120lbs.

I agree for what they charge these things should be fully built from metal at the factory.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can not recommend.

View Quote

Want to jump in here...

If I were buying TODAY; I would probably go with something like the Nuobells.

But a lot of people - myself included - have had the Bowflexs for many, many years, and they were at one point the best on the market, and for a while with the 1090's at least, the only things on the market.

I get the bad experience; I don't even disagree with you. But for those of us who have 'em... this is valuable.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#6]

I gotta get a set of those grips -- thats my main gripe about my 1090's is the knurling is too sharp
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I gotta get a set of those grips -- thats my main gripe about my 1090's is the knurling is too sharp
View Quote

The grips were my biggest complaint as well. He offers 30mm and 40mm grips. Very pleased with the 40mm. If you email him directly he’ll give you a list of what he has available as factory seconds, save some $
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top