Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2018 10:39:29 PM EDT
I’ve been trying to get into bourbons lately and I’ve been reading some of the bourbon recommendations on here. so far I’ve tried bulleit straight bourbon, Four Roses single barrel, and russells 10 year. I thought the four roses and russells was strong for my tastes, but I absolutely loved the bulleit.

I’ll definitely be buying more bulleit but I would still like to try other brands as well. I guess I’m looking for something similar to bulleit with a sweeter taste.

What would you guys recommend? I’ll definitely get a bottle of Wellers 107 or special reserve when I find some. I would also like to try blantons but I’m unsure of which bottle to get.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Knob Creek is my go to.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Bulliet is good and strong. If want a great sipping one Woodford Reserve. If just wanted to get fucked up. Evan Williams bottle in bond is 100% and where I am goes for $26 for governor.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Weller Special Reserve. The 12 year old and Old Antique are good but hard to find.

Old Forester Whiskey Row Series. The 1897 and 1910 are my favorites.

Buffalo Trace is pretty good.

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit is a little more expensive but really good imo.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Makers is decent daily drinking.

Basil Hayden’s for the pretty good stuff.

PappyVanWinkle for the top end.  Or just go McAllan 15 yr, as it’s actually obtainium.  Which then gets you into a whole other world, scotch.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:31:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:38:35 AM EDT
[#9]
DICKEL BARREL SELECT WHISKY 750ML
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
4 Roses Small Batch
Basil Hayden’s

Tin Cup is ok, but it’s a blend of two different juices.

Maker’s Mark is pretty good, Maker’s 46 is a little sweeter if you’re in to that flavor profile.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Some have been mentioned already.

For wheated:
Weller SR
Larceny (easy to find)
Rebel Yell Small Batch
Makers 46

Non wheated:
Blanton’s
Eagle Rare
EH Taylor
Old Forrester Prohibition
Woodford Reserve (easy to get) I actually like the regular over the double oak.

Your taste buds will change over time as you go down the Bourbon voyage. What I didn’t like a few years ago I like now.

Start building your collection. Don’t sell anything or give anything away you don’t care for today. Chances are you’ll knock the dust off later and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Just remember that expensive =/= good. Alot of higher end bourbons people love, are so well loved because of how complex and flavorful they are.

An inexperienced palate can find alot of these complex and flavorful bourbons offensive. Honestly a lot of the lower end bourbons like Jim Beam, Evan Williams, Benchmark, etc. can be better for people starting out. What makes them great for a new drinker is how approachable and friendly they are. Most people dislike them because of how simple or single noted they are. Until you condition your palate many bourbons can be overwhelming.

One of my favorites to recommend people new to bourbon would be Basil Hayden. It's low proof and very pleasant and friendly.

Check out Whiskey Vault on youtube for good reviews and lists.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also watch the proof ratings if you want to ease into it and find some "strong" for your tastes.

Bourbon is all over the place.
Some start at around 80 proof, and some barrel strength can be nearly 140.

Four Roses Single Barrel is 100.
Bulleit is around 90.
View Quote
Max barrel proofing is 125
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought buffalo trace from arf advice.

I’m glad I did. So far , it’s my favorite. I enjoy about two bottles a month neat.

The woodford reserve small batch was pretty good, and I’ve tried makers mark 46, also good.

But as far as value and overall enjoyment buffalo trace wins for me.

I’ve been told by more than one internets, and a few store employees to steer clear of bulliet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’m glad I did. So far , it’s my favorite. I enjoy about two bottles a month neat.

The woodford reserve small batch was pretty good, and I’ve tried makers mark 46, also good.

I’ve been told by more than one internets, and a few store employees to steer clear of bulliet.
View Quote
Bulliet 10 year old is excellent.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of good bottles to try mentioned above.

I would add Angels Envy to the list as well. The bottle I tried was very good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve yet to try it, was planning on picking up something tonight. I need to do a Costco run and their liquor selection is pretty good. I try to stay under $50 a bottle.

I’m going to see if they have basil Hayden or the bulliet 10, if not I’ll just get more buffalo trace.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Knob Creek bottles a maple one that would be sweet, I have never tried it because I don't care for "sweet" but the Knob Creek is pretty good.
For nice and smooth Wild Turkey,s Long Branch is really good and my #1 recommendation.
I see lot's of votes for Buffalo Trace and ya cant go wrong with one that almost all people like. Actually sippin BT right now
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Knob Creek bottles a maple one that would be sweet, I have never tried it because I don't care for "sweet" but the Knob Creek is pretty good.
For nice and smooth Wild Turkey,s Long Branch is really good and my #1 recommendation.
I see lot's of votes for Buffalo Trace and ya cant go wrong with one that almost all people like. Actually sippin BT right now
View Quote
When I say sweet, BT is what I mean. I’m still a newcomer to bourbons. Not a fan of artificially sweetened whiskey. Tastes like cough syrup to me.

By my definition from scotch. Glenfiddich would be sweet/smooth where as glenlivet would be spicy/peppery.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Baroda Bourbon, pricey though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Max barrel proofing is 125
View Quote
Water evaporates and alcohol concentrates. That's how you regularly see barrel proof bottles over 125.

Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Evan Williams small/ single barrel
Weller SR
Wild Turkey 101
I think Elijah Craig small batch is my favorite
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Evan Williams small/ single barrel
Weller SR
Wild Turkey 101
I think Elijah Craig small batch is my favorite
View Quote
Bourbon is OK and I like it as a switch from Scotch or Irish once in a while.  Elijah Craig small batch is my favorite one that I can get easily in my neck of the woods.  We have a few local distilleries that are trying to make it but IMO not so well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm enjoying a little of this right now.  Longtime WT fan, and I really like the Long Branch.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks guys! Looks like I’ll be trying buffalo trace or makers mark 46 next.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#30]
My favorite is Buffalo Trace.  Wild Turkey Rare breed is pretty damn good too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I highly recommend Eagle Rare 10 year. Bought my first bottle last night for $30 and had three pours from it and loved every last drop. I like it as much as a hard to find $60 bottle of Blanton's that I ration. I'll stop and get a few more bottles of the Eagle Rare today to keep a few bottle on hand.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Grab a Bottle of Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare, Blanton’s if you want to step it up a bit in price and you can find it as some places it’s hard to find.
Woodford is fairly mild because it’s supposed to be “good” for everyone’s pallet. I prefer the double oak but I like the nose better than the taste.

I still have her to try it, but I have heard Elija Craig single barrel is supposed to be really good, and same goes for angles envy. I’d like to try both.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#34]
1L Buffalo Trace for $30 at DFW duty free shops....if you decide to take a quick international trip pick up a bottle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:55:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Found a couple bottles of Colonel E H Taylor for $70, think it's worth me picking up? I've read on here that it's usually a hard to find bottle. I also noticed they were fully stocked on the Angel's Envy and Michters in the $40 price range.

I asked if they had any Wellers in the back and a couple of the customers started laughing
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Found a couple bottles of Colonel E H Taylor for $70, think it's worth me picking up? I've read on here that it's usually a hard to find bottle. I also noticed they were fully stocked on the Angel's Envy and Michters in the $40 price range.

I asked if they had any Wellers in the back and a couple of the customers started laughing
View Quote
What part of Kentucky are you in?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Western KY.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Booker's
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which variety of E H Taylor did you see? You should be able to find some “small batch” for under $50.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Which variety of E H Taylor did you see? You should be able to find some “small batch” for under $50.
View Quote
The single barrel was $70. Went to a couple more of the local stores and found some small batch. Pretty much every store I’ve been to has some in stock
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The single barrel was $70. Went to a couple more of the local stores and found some small batch. Pretty much every store I’ve been too has some in stock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The single barrel was $70. Went to a couple more of the local stores and found some small batch. Pretty much every store I’ve been too has some in stock
I really like the small batch, finished off a bottle today.

Price varies around here but can usually find some around $42-$43.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I really like the small batch, finished off a bottle today.

Price varies around here but can usually find some around $42-$43.
View Quote
Those are about the same prices I’ve been seeing. I’m still trying to find a bottle of Wellers, but haven’t had any luck yet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Still one of my go to favorites for the price point is Russell's Reserve 10yr.

I can get it for about $33 around here. Yeah, there is probably better.. but I keep coming back to this one...
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Still one of my go to favorites for the price point is Russell's Reserve 10yr.

I can get it for about $33 around here. Yeah, there is probably better.. but I keep coming back to this one...
View Quote
I have to agree with on that one. Tends to be someone scarce around here but I can usually find some if I look around.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Some of you guys should do a blind tasting.  You may find you are spending way too much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This.

Small Batch can be had for around $40, Single Barrel possibly $60-70, the Rye I've seen around $50-70.
If Single Barrel, snag it for sure.

I might spend $70 on a small batch if I ran out, depending on your AO it might be unobtanium.
I'm a fan of all the EH Taylor things, though......
Small Batch is one of my current favorite everyday pours.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/135145/eh_taylor_JPG-778142.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Small Batch can be had for around $40, Single Barrel possibly $60-70, the Rye I've seen around $50-70.
If Single Barrel, snag it for sure.

I might spend $70 on a small batch if I ran out, depending on your AO it might be unobtanium.
I'm a fan of all the EH Taylor things, though......
Small Batch is one of my current favorite everyday pours.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/135145/eh_taylor_JPG-778142.jpg
Along my short journey in the world of bourbons... This is my favorite so far
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I went on a Larceny kick last year and ordered a case before it came to WV.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
DICKEL BARREL SELECT WHISKY 750ML
View Quote
Concur.  Except that's Tennessee Whiskey, not Bourbon.  I think it's better than Bourbon.

But shhhhh.... Don't tell anyone!
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Basil Hayden's is pretty good.  Also McKenna is pretty good for a cheap bourbon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top