Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2020 5:42:52 PM EDT
With the closure of Restaurants and Bars, do you think the stock of those "rare finds" will be more prevalent in the Costco's, Krogers, Liquor stores (that aren't closed)

I'm talking Pappy, Stagg, Taylor, Blanton's, Weller, Eagle Rare etc.. ?

Or do you think the distributors will hold onto it for a few months until things smooth out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Idk. A lot of the rare buffalo trace products are only released in September with the Antique collection so who knows by then. But I will add Blantons is on the shelf everywhere around here and I picked up a Henry McKenna  10 year bib again today. Good juice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm willing to swap a 4 pack of Charmin for Pappy's.  Serious replies only.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The BTAC and Pappy yearly releases happened back in October/Noverber in my area.  Won't happen again until next year.

MAYBE, we'll see more next lower level stuff, like Blanton's, Elmer T, Rock Hills, etc, on the local shelfs.

Edit for english.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm willing to swap a 4 pack of Charmin for Pappy's.  Serious replies only.
View Quote

You've got a deal.  I'll even make it a twelve pack just because I'm a nice guy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
After scrolling this thread earlier today, on a whim, I checked the VA ABC website, inserted Blanton’s in the search engine for my local ABC....wow, reported one on hand...so I call to confirm...actually TWO on hand....5 minutes later I’m at the counter...and I’m on my way with the small bottle $30 out the door....and funny, as I’m heading out, another feller comes in and asks where that bottle of Blanton’s can be found!  He was a happy camper as well!

You can’t find 9mm or Lysol wipes, but Blanton’s....who would have thought...it has probably been 3 years since I saw any for sale!  Lucky day I guess!
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
My boss & friend gave me a bottle of Basil Hayden's Straight Kentucky Bourbon.  Is this a good bourbon?

He also gave me a bottle of John Walker Red scotch (which I know is only a fair domestic scotch).

Rob
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I doubt it.  Liquor stores here are running out of stuff.  Even the big stores.

People apparently think they can go without a lot of things, but booze is not one.

View Quote
My thoughts were that with Bars and Restaurants not needing any stock, the distributors would bring more to the retail side.  I guess a Meijer in the closest city 45 min from me had some on Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Added a few to my collection for the Shelter in Place

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I doubt it.  Liquor stores here are running out of stuff.  Even the big stores.

People apparently think they can go without a lot of things, but booze is not one.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol no.

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Walked into ours.
They were limiting to 5 customers in store.
Had all the aisles blocked off. I asked if I could look, she said look, dont touch.

I walked too close to the string they had blocking the aisle trying to see what was stocked and she actually screamed at me "YOU CANT COME DOWN THE AISLE!" like I was physically attacking her.
I was a good 8 feet away, easy, and never crossed the barrier.

I told her to have a good day, and left.

I'll be ok.

View Quote
Was this your local store, or was it Big Box like Costco?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My boss & friend gave me a bottle of Basil Hayden's Straight Kentucky Bourbon.  Is this a good bourbon?

He also gave me a bottle of John Walker Red scotch (which I know is only a fair domestic scotch).

Rob
View Quote
I follow a lot of the FB Bourbon pages, and everyone seems to like the Basil Haydens.  I have yet to try it.  It seems pretty easy to find in my AO.  I've seen it at Costco regularly, and it was on the shelf at Kroger and Meijer when I picked up the Michter's and OF1920.

BTW, the Michter's is really good.  I like that just as well as Buffalo Trace - which has always been my go to.

I saw posts that our Costco had Four Roses Small Batch Select in stock, but I've decided I had plenty stock, and it wasn't really "essential" for me to drive 45 min to go to Costco for a bottle of booze
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I found two bottles of 4 Rose's Barrel Proof yesterday, one OESO and one OBSQ. Also found a 4 Rose's Small Batch Select, never seen one of these before.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Around here liquor stores are emptier than usual as people are bored throughout the day and wanting to drink. The more liquor store traffic the more people will pick up any rare stuff that may make it to the shelves.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/QO4w6Vu.jpg

Added a few to my collection for the Shelter in Place

View Quote

I haven't had the Michter's and I love some ER but that 1920 is ridiculously good and flavorful for the price and availability.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I find more Blantons than I do Eagle Rare. Haven't see a bottle of that in almost a year.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got the last bottle of 1792 Full Proof the other day for $90+tax.

Dude had no idea if or when he might get more.
View Quote

The regular 1792 is like $20-24 a fifth around here.  Is the full proof that much better?
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I found two bottles of 4 Rose's Barrel Proof yesterday, one OESO and one OBSQ. Also found a 4 Rose's Small Batch Select, never seen one of these before.
View Quote

That SBS is a hidden gem. Six recipe blend, NCF and 104 proof it is a fantastic flavor bomb with just a little heat and kick.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Found 2 bottles of Bookers on the shelf yesterday at $79.99.  Almost picked one up, but didn't. Haven't seen that on a shelf in a long time.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Found 2 bottles of Bookers on the shelf yesterday at $79.99.  Almost picked one up, but didn't. Haven't seen that on a shelf in a long time.
View Quote

Yeah, one by me had 2 bottles of Booker's Country Ham. I picked one up.
They also have Little Book at 99.99 but I don't know about that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That SBS is a hidden gem. Six recipe blend, NCF and 104 proof it is a fantastic flavor bomb with just a little heat and kick.
View Quote

I haven't opened it yet but have heard nothing but good things. Might be hard to resist opening!

I did open the OESO barrel proof and wow, what a pour. Went back and they still had more, so I grabbed another bottle!
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, one by me had 2 bottles of Booker's Country Ham. I picked one up.
They also have Little Book at 99.99 but I don't know about that.
View Quote

"Country Ham" was great but the 4th release "Beaten Biscuits" was even better!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Doubt it.  But hey, I wouldn't hate it if some highly allocated bourbons started popping up!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#30]
It all depends on your state's distribution regulations for hospitality (bars and restaurants). If they go through normal distributors it's unlikely that there will be any changes. If there is a middleman such as a retail store that handles the distribution then you may very well see additional opportunities. They have no desire to sit on aging inventory and if prompted may be willing to sell them to retail customers. Nobody has a crystal ball that will tell them when we are going to come out of this nightmare.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is what had my hopes up.
Most of the harder to get bottles in AL never make it to the shelf and tend to be reserved for larger accounts (read hospitality).
But the "give us your order" operating policy in effect makes "hunting" impossible, so I'll just hang back and enjoy the collection.
Maybe when it opens back up, which hopefully will be soon.
View Quote
Part of the problem is a lot of the harder to find gems, are because they never make it to the shelf to begin with.  Greedy shop owners either hold it back for their "friends", or they are the ones selling it on the secondary market to make a quick buck.  If they DO put it on the shelf, it is 2x,3x or 4x retail

The big box places, Costco, Krogers, Meijers, large chain supermarkets etc. have the best chance of finding some of the rarer finds at MSRP.

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Part of the problem is a lot of the harder to find gems, are because they never make it to the shelf to begin with.  Greedy shop owners either hold it back for their "friends", or they are the ones selling it on the secondary market to make a quick buck.  If they DO put it on the shelf, it is 2x,3x or 4x retail

The big box places, Costco, Krogers, Meijers, large chain supermarkets etc. have the best chance of finding some of the rarer finds at MSRP.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what had my hopes up.
Most of the harder to get bottles in AL never make it to the shelf and tend to be reserved for larger accounts (read hospitality).
But the "give us your order" operating policy in effect makes "hunting" impossible, so I'll just hang back and enjoy the collection.
Maybe when it opens back up, which hopefully will be soon.

Yup. I check my local Meijer often. They often even have stuff on sale. You can't find Blantons anywhere in my AO, but Meijer almost always had bottles on the shelf for $56.  No one even thinks to look there, not with places like Binny's or Armanetti's around here.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't think so. Our local liquor store raised prices on the better stuff. Fitzgerald? $349. Weller SR? $199. And they raised the price of EH Taylor from $79 to $199. I only bought 2 at the old price. They can fuck off at these new prices. I'll shop at the grocery.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Over the past two years I've gotten on every list, locally, I could get on to track down some Blantons because its next to impossible to get here. Finally one paid off and I snagged a bottle today
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Saturday was another nice day.  Still coming up empty on Buffalo Trace Products, but grabbed a few more bottles to add to the collection.  Threw some Bone-in Ribeyes on the BBQ.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#37]
One of my local store owners texted me photos of bottles he thinks I'd like based on my normal purchases
Elijah Craig 18
Willet single barrel boubon
Willet Rye
Knappogue 16
Supposed to see him tomorrow to make a deal

He's also has a Red Breast 21 on the shelf and has access to a Reed Breast 27
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#38]

You're gonna like that Woodford Double Oaked. Instant classic!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You're gonna like that Woodford Double Oaked. Instant classic!
View Quote
I really liked it.  I wasn't super impressed with the McKenna... being named "Best Whiskey in the World 2019".  I thought it was quite hot.  Hoping since it's been uncorked, and has a chance to breathe a little, that it will soften up a bit.  I did also start with it, so maybe next pour, I will start with something a little more mild, then try it again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
One of my local store owners texted me photos of bottles he thinks I'd like based on my normal purchases
Elijah Craig 18
Willet single barrel boubon
Willet Rye
Knappogue 16
Supposed to see him tomorrow to make a deal

He's also has a Red Breast 21 on the shelf and has access to a Reed Breast 27
View Quote
I wish I had a cool shop owner that texted me with the goodies.  All those are on my list as well.  I'm curious to try the Rye..I don't think I've ever had a straight Rye Whiskey.

If he has this..it'll take one for a couple hundo

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Here's a couple of the photos he sent me
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I bought the Elijah 18, Knappogue 16,both Willets and a Whistle Pig 6

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I have seen Weller twice including some 1.75L, since the end of the world started, at stores where I have never seen it before.   Lots of Michters as well.  Bourbon and Rye.

Bunch of other stuff I normally don't see.  Not sure if its any good, but lots of variety.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Cask Cartel Here has most of the popular ones, but their prices are very high. Even if they do deliver to your house...
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have seen Weller twice including some 1.75L, since the end of the world started, at stores where I have never seen it before.   Lots of Michters as well.  Bourbon and Rye.

Bunch of other stuff I normally don't see.  Not sure if its any good, but lots of variety.

View Quote
I haven't had Weller yet, can't find it.  The Michter's ( Bourbon) is very good.  I have not had their rye or great american Whiskey
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I haven't had Weller yet, can't find it.  The Michter's ( Bourbon) is very good.  I have not had their rye or great american Whiskey
View Quote

Stop on over.  I have plenty of Weller SR and 107.  

I saw Bib and Tucker Friday.  4 bottles covered in dust as if they have been there a while. Only caught my attention after seeing someone talk about it on here. I can get four roses, whistlepig, angel's envy, etc, any day of the week.  

As far as pricing, I paid $20.99 for a fifth of Weller SR on Tuesday.  $49.99 for a 1.75L of same a few weeks ago.  

I came up with a method to find hard to get stuff years back when Cleveland Whiskey came out up here. It was as untouchable as pappy (without the price tag) for a while.  I was able to get batch #1 almost whenever I felt like it.  Even today, the brand you desire is likely around, you just have to put some effort into finding it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Found a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof today at my local store. I’m not computer/phone literate otherwise I post picture brag. Seems like a solid find.

Best I can do from iPhone
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Found a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof today at my local store. I’m not computer/phone literate otherwise I post picture brag. Seems like a solid find.

Best I can do from iPhone
View Quote

That's good stuff. Around here it's $55 or so
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#49]
My good luck is still going

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's good stuff. Around here it's $55 or so
View Quote

I paid $64.xx for it here. My store seems pretty legit as far as pricing. $60 for Blanton’s a few weeks back. I’m fairly new to actually drinking bourbon versus DRINKING bourbon. Trying to get a decent collection going.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top