Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/20/2021 7:23:52 PM EDT
I finally bit the bullet and dipped my toe into the world of auto knives. It's a Boker, which was pretty inexpensive, but I like it so far.

Does anyone else have one, and if so, what's your experience been like with it?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Pocket clip?

It looks acceptable.  Kinda like my gerbers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Fine I guess?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you like it? Any blade play? Some of the reviews I've read have been mixed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't disagree with the idea of owning an auto, just because you can.  That what I did with my Kalashnikov.  So from that perspective, I think you did well.

But the Kalashnikov is my least favorite knife.  My Kershaw Blur is faster and easier to open, and better made IMO, and wasn't much more.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't disagree with the idea of owning an auto, just because you can.  That what I did with my Kalashnikov.  So from that perspective, I think you did well.

But the Kalashnikov is my least favorite knife.  My Kershaw Blur is faster and easier to open, and better made IMO, and wasn't much more.
View Quote
I also use a Blur for my heavy duty weekend knife. I have bought a couple of more expensive knives on the EE, but just sold them off again. The Blur is plenty of knife for me. As an assisted opener, I feel like it is plenty easy to open. I daily carry a Kershaw scallion. It rides in my wool dress pants, so I rarely need it for more than opening a box and such.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pocket clip?

It looks acceptable.  Kinda like my gerbers.
View Quote

Pocket clip is on the other side.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How do you like it? Any blade play? Some of the reviews I've read have been mixed.
View Quote

So far, I really like it. It's super sharp, (imo) and has no wiggle or play in the blade at all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The spring'll break one day, but you saved a ton of money over the luxury brands, in which the spring will also break one day.

If you use it regularly, it won't last a lifetime, but bokers are appropriately priced for that and you should now beat it into the dirt until it does break and not feel bad about it.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a desert worrior like that for a work knife
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I started with something like that. Then got an HK microtech. Then worked my way through the micros and protechs. Now I EDC a combat Troodon. It’s a slippery slope
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118035/20210120_175659-1788665.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I broke my first boker in the first year or so.  I went with a gerber tanto auto for the next one and its heavy and built like a tank and holds an edge well.  I know a guy at work that has the same boker that I broke and it is several years old and well used.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd been wanting a Benchmade stryker for a long, loooooong time--ever since I found out my squadron issued them to pilots.  I never could talk the PRs out of one (though of course, they all had one).

On a Det to Yuma, the USMC Exchange was having a sale on BM products, including their autos.  They were able to get around the legal issue because of "deployment" language.  As a retiree, I could still buy one.

I got a stryker at 25% off, with a free laser engraving of my initials on the blade done right there--was kinda cool.  Desire fulfilled!

I spent...maybe a week with the knife as an EDC.  Turns out the firing stud was just a little too tall, and it would occasionally go off in my pocket.  No problem--I'd just engage the safety.

So...it turns out that pulling the knife out, disengaging the safety, then hitting the firing stud was...significantly slower than just pulling out one of my spring-assisted flippers, or Emerson-copy Kershaw with the pants hook.

I never carry it.  It just sits in a bag with all the other cool knives I've bought over the decades that were somehow not quite as cool in person, too expensive to carry, or passed over for something shinier.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The spring'll break one day, but you saved a ton of money over the luxury brands, in which the spring will also break one day.............
View Quote

I've carried this since '06. Fortunately the spring has hung in there.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've carried this since '06. Fortunately the spring has hung in there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60489/LUDT_jpg-1788763.JPG
View Quote

I carried a big button Reflex for years. Never a problem and must have thousands of openings.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#16]
It's your funeral, OP.

That is NOT an auto knife.
It is an assisted opening.
The difference could save your life!
and true full auto knives are illegal in some places.  I have one (legal)  but can not carry it (illegal).

But having a knife is good.  So, good on ya!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
When did Boker start putting the locks on? I bought a couple of the mini strikes's that came with those locks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's your funeral, OP.

and true full auto knives are illegal in some places.  I have one (legal)  but can not carry it (illegal).

View Quote

It is an automatic knife, as you mash the button, and the blade flings out. As for legalities, it's gtg here in Texas. I'm sorry that your state sucks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Gerber Covert here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I started with something like that. Then got an HK microtech. Then worked my way through the micros and protechs. Now I EDC a combat Troodon. It’s a slippery slope
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Good for your first Automatic knife. Don't need to spend $200 or more.

BladeHQ
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't get it wet...Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:10:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good for your first Automatic knife. Don't need to spend $200 or more.

BladeHQ
View Quote

That's where I got mine from.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

I'm almost scared to ask what happens if you feed them after midnight....
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I knew by the title it was going to be a Boker.  In that price range probably the best, but still is a cheap knife that doesn't hold an edge very well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The spring'll break one day, but you saved a ton of money over the luxury brands, in which the spring will also break one day.

If you use it regularly, it won't last a lifetime, but bokers are appropriately priced for that and you should now beat it into the dirt until it does break and not feel bad about it.

Have fun.
View Quote

Replacement springs are available. I have one of those and it has been a good knife.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I have that exact knife. It is solid.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a Kershaw auto as my first and last.  After the third time it opened in my pocket and I stuck my hand in the pocket and sliced open the backs of my fingers, it is now regulated to top of dresser status.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/118035/20210120_175659-1788665.jpg
View Quote

I have this in my pocket right now. Not the tango blade, though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

How do you like the minis stubby vs the regular strike?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have this, too. No kidding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's currently out of stock on bladehq...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You get this.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I have been on the fence about buying a mocrotech for a couple of months.   I don't really need it.   But it would be cool.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Wrong brand OP..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's your funeral, OP.

View Quote

What are you talking about?  That is most certainly an auto knife.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I had been daily carrying a Benchmade auto Presidio for more than 15 years but recently changed to a flipper.  I don't miss the auto feature at all, flipper works great.

FBM

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#40]
My first auto was a Kalashnikov. I used it as a work knife & I beat the living hell out of that thing. It lasted something like 20 years before it fell apart internally.

I've been carrying a Mini Infidel for close to ten years now. I don't abuse it like I did the Kalashnikov though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought a Kershaw auto as my first and last.  After the third time it opened in my pocket and I stuck my hand in the pocket and sliced open the backs of my fingers, it is now regulated to top of dresser status.
View Quote

How much do you want for it? I carry back right empty pocket and never a problem.

Pic thread? Pic thread...Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Buddy gave me an Ultratech for Christmas.

It is easily the finest pocketknife I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Love mine! Got called gay for carrying it lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#45]
My "blue jeans" knife is a Boker AK-47
It has served well
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I have one of those.

PRO TIP: That safety is incredibly important, if you don't have it on that thing will open in your pants. Then you have a bad day.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I have inexpensive Lightning OTF double edge blade knives. Works well, and it won't be too upsetting if you lose it. About $25-30 on sale.

Click-Clack.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought that one at the end of December also.

I also have a Boker Kalashnikov that I bought last year. I kind of don't like the safety. And it doesn't fit my hand quite as well as the Kalashnikov.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I have two Kalashnikovs I carry pretty much daily. I need more, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have one of those.

PRO TIP: That safety is incredibly important, if you don't have it on that thing will open in your pants. Then you have a bad day.
View Quote

Is this just for Bokers? I have both a Protech and a Kershaw auto and neither has ever opened in any type of pant or short. I do have a Boker auto as well, but it stays in the jeep.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top