Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
subscribed....and i officially hate you
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on the land, and Tagscribe.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Will you have everything done before the winter?
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 10:24:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aviator] [#5]
Back from anchorage. This is what about $7,000 will get you up here for a power system.

Parts are:

Four Rolls S530 Batteries

Trina TSM-180DA01 180 Watt Solar Module

Trina Solar's silver-framed TSM-DA01 180-watt panel is a high-quality versatile module, constructed for easy installation. A good choice for off-grid applications. its voltage makes it easy to charge 24V battery banks. This UL-listed mono-crystalline panel can also be used for commercial, residential or utility scale applications and can be installed with ground, roof, building face or tracking systems.

Trina Solar takes extra measures to make sure their modules are resistant to any kind of weather condition, whether its hot out, freezing cold, or hailing. The TSM-DA01 180-watt panel is constructed with high transmission, low iron, .12 inch tempered glass, and sturdy aluminum frames. It will sustain loads of 5400 PA.

Trina Solar performs a variety of quality control test at their manufacturing plant, including an infra red test and their proprietary stress test, ensuring each module keeps up to their high standards. Read more about their rigorous testing processes here. Trina Solar panels have a 20-year power output warranty and a 5-year manufacturing warranty.

Xantrex 865-1030 XW-MPPT60-150 Solar Charge Controller

The XW SCC can be used with 12, 24, 36, 48, and 60-volt DC battery systems and is able to charge a lower nominal-voltage battery from a higher nominal-voltage array. For example, the XW SCC can charge a 12-volt battery from a 36-volt array. This provides flexibility for installers to use longer wiring runs without compromising efficiency. The XW Solar Charge Controller can be installed (in single or multi-unit configurations) with Xantrex XW Hybrid Inverter/Charger(s) or can be used in other solar energy systems where a solar charge controller is needed. The XW SCC incorporates a dynamic Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) algorithm designed to maximize energy harvest from the PV array. The MPPT constantly adjusts the operating points of the array to ensure it stays on the maximum power point. It does not stop energy harvest to sweep the array like some other competing products. This feature is beneficial all sunlight conditions, especially in areas with fast moving cloud cover and quickly changing solar conditions.

magnum Energy MS PAE 4400 Inverter / Charger with a ME-ARC Remote Control, Mini Magnum Panel, and ME-BMK-NS Battery Monitor Kit

Pure sine wave: Power your T.V.s, stereos, plasma screens, and other sensitive electronics without worry. The pure sine wave inverter and power factor corrected charger provide clean, reliable inverter power with low total harmonic distortion (THD) of less than 5%.
   Power Factor Corrected (PFC) Charger: Uses less energy from a generator than a standard charger – using 25-30% less AC current than standard chargers.
   No series stacking required: The unique design of the MS-PAE Series can provide 120 and 240 volts output in one unit, eliminating the need to stack two units together to get 240 volts.
   Parallel stacking: Parallel up to four inverter/chargers for up to 17.6kw of power at 120/240V. The ME-RTR router is required for parallel stacking the MS-PAE Series.
   Choices: The MS-PAE Series comes in 24 and 48 volt configurations, allowing you to choose the model that is right for you.
   Versatile mounting: Mount the MS-PAE Series on a shelf or wall.
   Lightweight: The lightweight aluminum base and cover also provides noise reduction and corrosion resistance.
   Multiple ports: The MS-PAE Series provides multiple ports, including an RS485 communication port for network expansion, and a remote port.
   Accessible design: The extra large AC access cover with terminal screw block and 360° DC connection terminals with covers make this inverter more accessible when it needs to be.
   Convenient switches: The MS-PAE Series comes with an on/ off inverter-mounted switch with an easy-to-read LED indicator..
   Buy with ease: The MS-AE Series is backed by a two-year (24-month) limited warranty.

The MS-PAE Series Inverter/Charger from Magnum Energy is a pure sinewave inverter designed specifically for the most demanding renewable energy applications. The unique design of the MS-PAE Series provides two 120VAC output lines that are 180° out-of-phase with each other, so that the combination of the L1 and L2 lines total 240VAC and the voltage between either L1 or L2 and neutral is 120VAC, eliminating the need to purchase two units and stack them together to get 240 volts.

When the power requirements of the system are beyond the capacity of a single MS-PAE Series inverter or the system is expanded as more loads are added, up to four MS-PAE Series inverters can be connected together in a parallel configuration. When connecting inverters in parallel, the overall inverter power and surge capacity is increased to power a large single load or more smaller loads.

Available in 4000 (24 volts) and 4400 (48 volts) watt models, the MS-PAE Series inverters are powerful, easy-to-use and ETL listed to the stringent requirements of UL 1741 and CSA C22.2 No. 107.1-01 for Renewable Energy installations.

And last but not least, a 500w Wind turbine similar to an Air X

The AIR-X builds upon what made AIR the world's #1 selling small wind turbine with new technology previously found only in mega-watt-class wind turbines.

The turbines smart controller allows it to actually control blade rotation speed thus eliminating the buzzing noise commonly found with the AIR 403 and 303 in high winds. Furthermore, a new series of carbon-reinforced blades with a modified pitch angle further increases power production.

Previous AIR designs required 300-400 amp hour battery banks so the trickle charge of the wind turbine could be adequately absorbed. The AIR-X¡¯s charge controller periodically stops charging, reads the battery voltage, compares it to the voltage setting and if the battery is charged, it completely shuts off all current going to the battery. This function is performed within a few milliseconds. The closer the battery is to reaching its full state of charge, the more often the AIR-X¡¯s circuit repeats this action. When the battery has reached its charged state, the AIR-X will slow to an almost complete stop. Only when the battery has dropped below its voltage set point will it startup and resume charging.

Aviator

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
To answer a few possible questions.

The system will be 24 volts. 6v x 4 in series, for a total of 24v and 530 amp hours. This (according to my calculations using estimated load) will enable me to run the house for 4 days with no power coming in. At the end of 4 days, the bank should be still above 50 percent depth of discharge, which is important for extending battery life.

I will probably add 2 more panels, but will first see what the 2 do. They are Trina 180 watt panels at 24 Volts. for a total of 15 amps of power. The turbine is 500 watts max and 24 volts. Turbine can put out anywhere from 1-20 amps.

The inverter / charger will allow a generator ( I have a Honda 2000) to be plugged in, and it with then bypass the inverter, and power the house. Any power not needed at the house will then charge the battery bank. Its my understanding that this generator will charge these 4 batteries in about 4 hours, or 1/3 of a gallon of gas.

The solar charge controller is one of the best out there. Do a google search for MPPT charge controller.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Living my dream. Congrats and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
OST
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I swear I remember you making a post before about setting up a power system like this.

Was that someone else and I'm just crazy?
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Just looking at the google map gives me the chills.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aviator] [#11]
Originally Posted By pops2element:
I swear I remember you making a post before about setting up a power system like this.

Was that someone else and I'm just crazy?

That was me. Was a smaller version for testing and for a class project.

Aviator

ETA: That one only cost me $800

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cableguy221:
Will you have everything done before the winter?

I hope to have my garage done, and I'll have a well and septic in. So... I plan on putting a bathroom in the garage / workshop and living in it till the cabin is done. Then I'll cut the garage door in it and move into the house.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#13]
How well will the solar panels be working on December 20th?
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DigDug:
How well will the solar panels be working on December 20th?

Not at all, but on that North facing ridge line, the wind turbine will be going gang busters

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Sweet!

Now I just need to move this to Alaska.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not a huge fan of solar, the cost is a tad ridiculous for my tastes.

I think I'd prefer a wood gasifier powered genset, or maybe a bigger wind turbine.

But, that's just me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Surf:
Sweet!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/IMGP5602.jpg

Very Nice!

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Aviator, what will that set-up power? A fridge, lights, ect?
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Extremely interesting, I'll be following along.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Were you the guy that was living in the tent (complete with rug) while building this or was that another alaskan?
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BlackRifle76:

Damn near anything. All standard household appliances. Washer, gas dryer. I use about 4 KWH of power a day and it will cover me for 4 days

Aviator

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:59:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Razoreye:
Were you the guy that was living in the tent (complete with rug) while building this or was that another alaskan?

That was me, it was a test. I was not living in it. It was set up in my back yard, and still is.

Aviator

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey AV,

For heat look at the Mr. Heater (the guys who make the buddy heaters for camping) or monitor/toyo heat.

The Mr. Heater runs on LP and is a decently priced unit.  30k BTU for $260 or so.  Just remember to keep your LP tank warmed/away from the elements past -30 or it will gel on ya.  Auto regulating and built in thermostat that runs on AA batteries, so no external power draw.  Been thinking about doing one to give seasonal heat to the living room.

Regular Monitor or toyo stoves for something that size should be somewhere under $2k.  Both barely sip fuel, but need a constant power supply.  (I'll get to that in a sec)

Beyond that, Monitor makes a boiler that can heat 1400sq ft or so (bigger then you need, but what I'm looking at currently) that with the pot and everything installed is somewhere to the tune of 7 cubic feet.  (its somewhere around 3'x1.5x1.5' or a lil smaller)  Really been thinking about that for general house heat.

As for power, since you already have your battery bank, you should be good regardless on any of those.  I'd still look at a back up unit hooked up solely for the furnace if you go that route.

As for wood, something that size should be able to be heated like crazy from a 2-3 cubic foot wood stove.  I have one in the rental, and that gets the house HOT on a few tiny logs.  I've even got a few that size designed for wall tents and the like at work.  (I can take pics of stuff should you need)

Keep us updated dude, and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
Hey AV,

For heat look at the Mr. Heater (the guys who make the buddy heaters for camping) or monitor/toyo heat.

The Mr. Heater runs on LP and is a decently priced unit.  30k BTU for $260 or so.  Just remember to keep your LP tank warmed/away from the elements past -30 or it will gel on ya.  Auto regulating and built in thermostat that runs on AA batteries, so no external power draw.  Been thinking about doing one to give seasonal heat to the living room.

Regular Monitor or toyo stoves for something that size should be somewhere under $2k.  Both barely sip fuel, but need a constant power supply.  (I'll get to that in a sec)

Beyond that, Monitor makes a boiler that can heat 1400sq ft or so (bigger then you need, but what I'm looking at currently) that with the pot and everything installed is somewhere to the tune of 7 cubic feet.  (its somewhere around 3'x1.5x1.5' or a lil smaller)  Really been thinking about that for general house heat.

As for power, since you already have your battery bank, you should be good regardless on any of those.  I'd still look at a back up unit hooked up solely for the furnace if you go that route.

As for wood, something that size should be able to be heated like crazy from a 2-3 cubic foot wood stove.  I have one in the rental, and that gets the house HOT on a few tiny logs.  I've even got a few that size designed for wall tents and the like at work.  (I can take pics of stuff should you need)

Keep us updated dude, and good luck.

I will get a toyo laser 56 for backup. Thats what I run in the current cabin and use about 300 gal a winter.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Aviator:
Originally Posted By Razoreye:

That was me, it was a test. I was not living in it. It was set up in my back yard, and still is.

Aviator

I thought you stayed a winter in it or something. Still cool regardless.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BatchelorGroda:
Originally Posted By Merrell:
There's bears out there the size of the First Lady.

You be careful now...

You could get one of these scarecrows to scare the bears away!

http://www.theblackshearstore.com/images/819079_Michelle_Obama_FLE_High_Res_8-16-10.jpg

Wow, nice star wars figurine.  Where is the crossbow?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#27]
When's the first shoot?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:03:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bookertbab:
I guess when we bought Alaska from the Russians we paid them 2 cents per acre, how much has the price gone up since then?

Looks like x 1 million.

Aviator

ETA: I may be rich in 115 years.

So the price hasn't even kept up with inflation.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jimhoff:
When's the first shoot?  

Soon as I get the hill clear cut  

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I think I'll OST.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Blueprints for the cabin, or are you just shooting from the hip?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Beautiful.  

That wind turbine looked small but I guess thats all thats needed for your requirements.     Keep the photos coming!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#34]
This thread has my attention. Subscribed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks really awesome!

Be careful, I hear the bears like to eat pilots and they hate guys with a CDL.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BlackRifle76:

Damn near anything. All standard household appliances. Washer, gas dryer. I use about 4 KWH of power a day and it will cover me for 4 days

Aviator

Impressive setup.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Surf:
Sweet!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/IMGP5602.jpg

Can you take my house too?

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:56:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Balista] [#38]
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
Can you see Russia from there?

TRG

The liberal douche bags who trashed that comment just show their own ignorance. You can see Russia from Alaska.

Sarah Palin told ABC news "...you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Even the New York Times (in 1988) said you could see Russia from Alaska, but that was before it was cool to make fun of Palin.

From high ground there or from the Air Force facility at Tin City atop Cape Prince of Wales, the westernmost edge of mainland North America, on a clear day you can see Siberia with the naked eye.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/23/magazine/lifting-the-ice-curtain.html

You CAN see Russia from here!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#39]
OpSec?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By jungp:

OpSec?

I wouldn't try to pull anything funny on a retired military arfcommer and it's all the way up in Alaska

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By jungp:
OpSec?

Nothing there but vacant land right now. And I will have hella good security in place when I live there.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Productive Day. Closed on the land, Surveyor was there and marked corners and side, have D3 dozer and excavator scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Will have both for a week.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Productive Day. Closed on the land, Surveyor was there and marked corners and side, have D3 dozer and excavator scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Will have both for a week.

Aviator

Gonna go all Kill-Dozer on some trees are we?

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By KC-10Boom:

Aviator

Aye...

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By KC-10Boom:

Aviator

Aye...

Aviator

Good.  I don't like the look of their attitude anyway.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd say build a vault / bunker under your place with the dozer but I don't think you can do that in Alaska.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 7:
I'd say build a vault / bunker under your place with the dozer but I don't think you can do that in Alaska.  

Permafrost can be a bit tricky
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#48]
How loud is that windmill when it's running?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By Deej86:

Originally Posted By Strykewolf:

Originally Posted By Deej86:

What is the job market like up there?

Sort of depends what part of Alaska and what you do.  Engineers, of various types, are usually in demand, state wide.  Think our unemployment has been hanging around 6%, or so.

I have a degree in recreation therapy..I doubt lots of senior citizens live in Alaska.  Probably close to Anchorage since I like being around people.  Or Wasilla since that seems smaller but close enough.
I thought you wanted to move to Phoenix, Arizona.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#50]
So, one nice thing out here is that there are no real codes. The only permit I need is for my driveway where it connects to the road. Other than that. whatever you wish to do, do it. There are people here that have been living in tar paper shacks with outhouses for years. Others (like me) will rough in the land, and build a garage with a bathroom, and live in it for a year or two while they build their house.

Its gonna be an adventure.

Aviator

You need to give me a call when you start to wire that place... I sell electrical, and one of my good friends does inverters and solar power for cabins.... if you you need anything let me know bro!

Can I log this in as a potential BOL?

- Clint
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top