Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2020 12:00:27 AM EDT
Thought I would try some clipless pedals for mtb trail riding.  I got the crank brothers eggbeater 1s.  Also got a pair of specialized “expert” shoes on sale.  Did my first ride tonight and what a shit show. Can’t clip in, can’t unclip, fell 10 times. A couple falls were coming to a stop and couldn’t unclip in time but the majority were while I was slowly starting out and fucking with these things trying to get them to clip in.  I mean seriously 2-5 minutes of dicking with these pieces of shit to get them to engage.  I would have to pedal to have any chance of getting them to engage.  I would get to another obstacle before getting clipped in. Walked the bike most of the time. I had the shims installed, cleats in a neutral front to back position, I don’t get it.  Why are these things SO hard to use. Totally ruined my ride.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I never had an issue with them!
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^this^^^
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
It takes a little practice but probably shouldn't be quite as hard as you described.

Eggbeaters are kinda tough because there is no other support platform. I like the double shot pedals because they are flats on one side and clips on the other but this once again requires an increased level of coordination. The candy pedal might be a better option.

Recommend you DOUBLE check that you have the cleats installed in the proper orientation for the increased float (check the dots) and also that you very carefully place them on the bottom of the shoe. It's a pain adjusting them on and off the bike but is worth it.

Practice in the yard or around the street or whatever and if it doesn't improve, look at a different pedal like the candy. Riding clipped is awesome and worth it.

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You might benefit by getting that all figured out while practicing in the yard or grass in the park, rather than on the trail.  Or even ride up and down the street, clipping in and out and in and out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I put the pedals on my indoor trainer and rode it that way for a few weeks before I moved them to my road bike ...never fell.  Also you can adjust for how easy/hard it is to clip in ..At least that's the way it is on my Keos
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, sounds like yours need some adjustment to make them easier in-out.

I tried clipless for a good while, but eventually ended up going back to clips.  I liked being able to wear regular footwear and overall just seemed to work better for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, with the little free time i have i prefer to use it having fun.  I don’t see any reason i should have to practice with pedals for 100 hours to use them.  I was looking closely at the mechanism today and there is no lead in to facilitate engagement. 0.5mm off front to back and you’re fucked.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Get Shimano M520. They have adjustable tension just for noobs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I put the pedals on my indoor trainer and rode it that way for a few weeks before I moved them to my road bike ...never fell.  Also you can adjust for how easy/hard it is to clip in ..At least that's the way it is on my Keos
View Quote

The falling isn’t so much from not unclipping, it’s from being on a trail and not being able to clip in. If it was from forgetting to unclip, I would chalk it up to inexperience.  The amount of time it takes to get clipped in(up to 5 min per side) makes it a non starter.  I can stand there and fuck with the right pedal for an eternity to get it clipped. After that, i have to be pedaling to get the left side.  The odds of me getting the left pedal clipped in before getting to a section of trail that requires control of the bike is zero.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
You just stomp on it. Sounds like user error.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been riding them since they were first sold.
Were the cleats tight? If they are not you can’t clip out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You just stomp on it. Sounds like user error.
View Quote

The visible damage to my crank arms says “just stomp on it” is wrong.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]
They are tight. Clipping out out isn’t as much of a problem as clipping in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The visible damage to my crank arms says "just stomp on it" is wrong.
View Quote
The cleat should never contact the crank arm
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. If you have fuck with the pedals for so long that the cranks get damaged, it’s a shit design.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like your cleat is too close to the rubber lugs on the shoe.

If your equipment is set up properly, then you should go back to flats. eggbeaters are the easiest clip pedals to use. Only reason they aren't more popular is because of durability problems that have never really been addressed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#17]
My guess is your problems are related to shoe/cleat setup or inexperience with clipless pedals. I've been using some form of Crank Brothers pedals since they came out. I have had zero problems. My current pedal is the Mallet E. I have several thousand miles on these.

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Post a pic of the bottom of your shoe.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is there a current tutorial on posting pics somewhere?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Never used the egg beaters (I’m an SPD guy), but they all offer a bit of adjustability which is helpful when first getting used to them.  If it turns out that the EB’s don’t work for you, try spd’s.  Start with really lite tension until you become good with them and continually tighten them up until they’re just right.  Heck, I’ve been riding with some for of lipless pedal for so long now, I have a difficult time on a bike w/o them.  Once you get good at it, you’ll be much more proficient and use less energy than you did w/o
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Never used the egg beaters (I'm an SPD guy), but they all offer a bit of adjustability which is helpful when first getting used to them.  If it turns out that the EB's don't work for you, try spd's.  Start with really lite tension until you become good with them and continually tighten them up until they're just right.  Heck, I've been riding with some for of lipless pedal for so long now, I have a difficult time on a bike w/o them.  Once you get good at it, you'll be much more proficient and use less energy than you did w/o
View Quote
Eggbeaters are not adjustable for tension like SPDs are. The clip force is driven by the tension spring wrapped around the pedal axle. They tend to be tight initially but will ease over time. Also, even though the cleats look very similar- eggbeater cleats are NOT compatible/interchangeable with SPD pedals and vice versa.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Clipless pedals have a learning curve. Don't expect to be able to do it all at once.
Thats a fools fallacy.
And scratches on your crank arms, never gonna happen on a MTB??.
Flat pedals have there place. However at speed one needs to drop there heels to stay on and thats iffy on square edged bumps.
PLUS dropping your heels imho adds to the possibility of injuring you foot by striking a hard surface with your dropped heels.
Clippless is a no brainer if you like pumping the bike it makes high bunny hops much easier.
Granted folks can get massive air on flats for bunnyhopping, but being able to pull up with your feet can save you bacon sometimes..
I've been running S.P.D. pedals since Shimano came out with them.
The newest mechanism is the bomb.
I'm looking at getting the Saint Spd soon.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the bottom of the Reply window there's buttons for selecting the file from your device and uploading it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Crankbrothers were my first pair of clipless too, never had any of these issues though. I practiced at home for 10 minutes top then went riding. Make sure you have the cleat oriented for the 15* unclip so you wont have as much trouble getting out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I think TIME ATAC pedals are best mtb pedals but I've used a lot of brands and only the Shimano style mtb pedals have even been a problem, and that was due to being able to pull the cleats out of the pedals. Once I switched to the float type pedals (TIME / egg beaters / Frogs in order of preference) I never had a problem.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I really like the crank brothers candy’s. Easy to get locked in with the small platform.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#27]
The Candys are better. The achilles heel of the beaters is when the rider rams the pedal into a chunk of rock at 20mph. There's nothing to protect the mechanism from being destroyed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I use Candys on my bikes. I just slip my clip on and push down and sort of forward. I have missed a clipping in a few times but it hadn't been a big problem after a few rides. The hard part is unclipping when missing a jump or turn since you cannot just bail you have to twist the foot out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Candys are better. The achilles heel of the beaters is when the rider rams the pedal into a chunk of rock at 20mph. There's nothing to protect the mechanism from being destroyed.
View Quote

True. I use Candy's on all my bikes, road, MTB, etc. Little platform is also nice if you do not get clipped in right away.

OP just needs more practice
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

True. I use Candy's on all my bikes, road, MTB, etc. Little platform is also nice if you do not get clipped in right away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My son uses Candy's and likes them. He prefers the Mallets on my bike, but they come at a steep weight penalty and don't work with fancy XC shoes very well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe. I suspect OP has his cleat and shoe sole interfering with each other. IIRC, the beaters are unique in that the pedal "arms" are trapped between the cleat and sole and the rider's force is transmitted from the sole to the pedal body. It's not like SPDs where that distance is controlled by the cleat itself. So you need to make sure it fits properly before riding.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#33]
i love my eggbeaters. you're doing it wrong
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve got about 6 hours on them now.  It’s not getting better.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i love my eggbeaters. you're doing it wrong
View Quote

What size shoe do you wear?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Photo your shoe on the pedal like this. From this, we will be able to tell if there is an issue with the setup or if it's a learning curve thing.

I added a shim to my cleat and installed a different diameter sleeve around the axle shaft on the inside and outside of the pedal. It's kind of a bitch to install these sleeve things.

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#40]
The first time you use clips, you're going to fall.  Maybe a bunch.

Also, loosen the tension as far as it will go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s been 5 times now.  Flats are back on the bike and won’t be trying again.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 1:49:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with that. Only one of my bikes has clips, the others have flats.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Looks like the cheapest model of eggbeaters.
They kinda suck. The 2’s and 3’s are better quality.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Looks fine to me. I guess you just, errr, aren't made for clips.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thought I would try some clipless pedals for mtb trail riding.  I got the crank brothers eggbeater 1s.  Also got a pair of specialized “expert” shoes on sale.  Did my first ride tonight and what a shit show. Can’t clip in, can’t unclip, fell 10 times. A couple falls were coming to a stop and couldn’t unclip in time but the majority were while I was slowly starting out and fucking with these things trying to get them to clip in.  I mean seriously 2-5 minutes of dicking with these pieces of shit to get them to engage.  I would have to pedal to have any chance of getting them to engage.  I would get to another obstacle before getting clipped in. Walked the bike most of the time. I had the shims installed, cleats in a neutral front to back position, I don’t get it.  Why are these things SO hard to use. Totally ruined my ride.
View Quote
first clipless experience I would recommend an SPD system. The Crank Bros is a little odd at first.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#46]
SPD forever
Switched in 1996 and can't imagine going back to flats.  I would have never imagined (20yrs back) that the majority of mountain biking now would be done on flats.

I bust my ass all the time and can get out of the pedals.

I've know others to start with Crank Bros and have issues.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have worn out two sets over the years.  Great pedals.  I use shimano now because my shoes will clip into rental bikes and trainers all over the world.  My eggbeater cleats would not.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eggbeaters aren't adjustable but are perfectly sprung so it really isn't needed.  They are a minimalist design for sure.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#49]

Well there we have it....

Are the cleats install correctly?  I am pretty sure they have a left/right front/back setup.  I haven't used them in years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Agreed. If you have fuck with the pedals for so long that the cranks get damaged, it's a shit design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. If you have fuck with the pedals for so long that the cranks get damaged, it's a shit design.

Agreed, get better cranks.    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top