Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2024 2:43:10 PM EDT
It's cold and rainy today.  My wife is off to work soon so I have the house to myself for the afternoon.  So I'm making bologense, maybe a good movie in t background.  What doesn't get eaten tonight will be vacuum sealed, flattened, and frozen.

Soffrito.  Beef, pork, and veal.  Whole peeled tomatoes, paste, and passata.  Red wine.  5 plus hours.  Salt and pepper.  Boiled water.  That's all.

veggies in

Meat ready

tomatoes and wine ready

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
first round of wine added to veggies

Wine cooked off, meat added.  Salt and peppered.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
meat cooking down.  once the liquids mostly evaporate and it sounds "scorchy" I'll add wine.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I like bolognese sauce.  A lot.

Looks good, man.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vim:
I like bolognese sauce.  A lot.

Looks good, man.
View Quote

Thanks.  I've been making many different versions over the years.  this is my recent favorite.  very simple and the different meats ant tomatoes makes a difference, sum of its parts and all.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks really good. Wife made it over Christmas to use in lasagna. It was to die for
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good, my problem is I'm in the land of meat and potatoes, finding veal of any cut is neigh on impossible.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Looks good, my problem is I'm in the land of meat and potatoes, finding veal of any cut is neigh on impossible.
View Quote

yeah I'm glad we can get it around here.   This would still be totally good with just beef and pork I bet.  Use fatty beef of course lol.

In this batch I'm using 80/20 from my local store, Neiman Ranch pork, swift veal (first time using this).
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#8]
Originally Posted By Spartacus100:
That looks really good. Wife made it over Christmas to use in lasagna. It was to die for
View Quote

nice!  Lasagna bolognese is legit.

if you ever want to try something a bit less authentic but good, try making ricotta at home.  It's REALLY good for lasagna, stuffed shells, whatever.

I dont follow this lasagna recipe really but the ricotta part is worth trying.  I did it recently and it left me wishing I'd tried it sooner.
The Best CLASSIC Lasagna Recipe (with EASY homemade ricotta)
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Wine was added to meat then cooked until most liquid was evaporated, and it sounded a bit like frying.  Paste added, mixed in, and cooked for a couple minutes.  remainder of tomatoes added with some water to wash out cans and bottles.

after paste mixed in

Tomatoes added.  now, i simmer very low for 4 hours or so.  I'll add boiling water in about 1.5 hours then reduce again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top