User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other than for repositioning the space station, there is no need for Starliner. It is inferior in every way to the Space X Crew Dragon.
View Quote

Oh, boy.  

I love SpaceX.  I really am a big fan.  But overinflating SpaceX is something that irritates the shit out of me.  SpaceX belongs on the pedestal but not in anivory tower.  

First off, Dragon only lands in the water which is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what NASA and SpaceX wanted.   In addition to needing extremely costly range vessels, it is dangerous and corrosive.

Secondly, NASA really compromised on the human safety factors for fueling and prepping for launch with humans on board the Dragon/F9 combo.  

Sure, there's problems with Starliner and SLS.  But only a bullshitter overlooks the flaws of one while highlighting the flaws of another.  

There are other features - agnostic mating, autonomous docking (added to Dragon in 2021), individually switched controls (vice touchscreen) that NASA wanted.  

If you want to see EXACTLY what NASA really wanted, look at the SNC Dream Chaser lifting body.  NASA loves lifting bodies and tourists will too.

-space systems engineer

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I don't understand the hate for metric. Everyone else in the world, including US military and science, use metric.
I understand not wanting to retool our whole machining industry, but lets move on
View Quote

There’s only 1 unit system that got man to the moon
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't understand the hate for metric. Everyone else in the world, including US military and science, use metric.
I understand not wanting to retool our whole machining industry, but lets move on
View Quote

Metric is annoying. Felt that way growing up in NZ where everything was in metric.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it made it back.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
setting up Starlink at the Starliner landing site

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There’s only 1 unit system that got man to the moon
View Quote

Meters.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Meters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's only 1 unit system that got man to the moon

Meters.
Actually - at the time, the guidance only displayed the results in Imperial units for convenience, the actual computations were done in SI (metric) units.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Heard the boom when it was coming in. Couldn't see shit sue to the haze (forest fires).
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Other than for repositioning the space station, there is no need for Starliner. It is inferior in every way to the Space X Crew Dragon.
View Quote

You could repurpose the trunk to allow motors.

A back up plan is not a bad idea. Not saying this is it but two vehicles alows for HA
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Using the thrusters on a crew capsule just to reposition a space station is kind of stupid.  

ION engines like that used on Dawn and other recent interplanetary probes are the way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Using the thrusters on a crew capsule just to reposition a space station is kind of stupid.  

ION engines like that used on Dawn and other recent interplanetary probes are the way to go.

How do you think they are currently doing it?

Google soyuz for your answer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Actually - at the time, the guidance only displayed the results in Imperial units for convenience, the actual computations were done in SI (metric) units.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Apollo_Software_jpg-2397160.JPG

View Quote

Yep. That meme gets old.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:51:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nothing another couple billion dollars can't solve.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, two of the 12 thrusters failed, the temperature control system malfunctioned, and the docking mechanism didn’t work the first time?

Amazing job, Boeing!!  

Nothing another couple billion dollars can't solve.

But dem qtrly profits tho.

Quoted:
I didn't like someone could make a rocket that looked more stupid than Blew Origin and along comes Boeing. That think looks like something Russia would build.

Boeing likes to outsource, so probably.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top