Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2023 10:06:31 AM EDT
What's the hive's thoughts on BFR bands?  I'm 61 years old and have been reading these are especially beneficial to folks in my age range.  Anybody have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#1]
Why would you want to restrict blood flow? It makes no sense.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pr24guy:
Why would you want to restrict blood flow? It makes no sense.
View Quote

Totally counterintuitive, right?  But I've seen a lot of articles like this one that say they're very beneficial.  I'm asking here because I'm hoping to get real world input for anyone that's actually used them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#3]
So, it is the same as Dynamic Tension Exercises that has been done by martial artists and body builders for decades.
Just holding tension and moving the muscle does the same thing without the need of a strap device.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
That would be a hard no from me. I would think there is inherent risk from constricting blood flow and exercising
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Sustained exercise releases myoglobin. One of the potential lethal/dangerous problems from a crush injury is the sudden release of a bunch of myoglobin into the general circulation. Levels from exercise are certainly going to be much lower but I would be concerned it might have a negative effect on the kidneys
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
At some point in time, I recall reading a bit about that. If memory serves, the idea was to trigger muscle synthesis while being able to use lighter weights and incur less systematic fatigue?  There was some supporting evidence to suggest that this was how it worked but I don't remember the evidence being all the overwhelming.

I suspect that the reason you're not all that likely to get a lot of input from people who've used it is that what, if any, benefits it provides are typically only going to show up if you've already optimized every other possible factor. Few non-professionals are going to train to that level. Just my admittedly only mildly informed opinion. I don't recall reading any real negatives about it though, so give it a shot if you feel like it and report back.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I can see all kinds of bad things happening in older folks such as blood clots, collapsed veins, and worsening of varicose veins.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:28:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AL-BOB] [#8]
Originally Posted By jcatcg:
I don't recall reading any real negatives about it though, so give it a shot if you feel like it and report back.
View Quote

The negative is that my wife's boss has convinced her it's a great idea. He's a huge proponent of Dr Malone, the guy that "invented" mRNA vaccine technology.  Dr Malone is touting this new system.  Boss is pointing her toward a set of electronically controlled bands that cost $1200.  Thankfully I'm not a poor, but I still want to make damn sure there's empirical evidence these things work before plopping down that kind of change.  

I'm thinking of buying a cheap set from Amazon for us to try out before I drop serious change on anything more.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AL-BOB:

The negative is that my wife's boss has convinced her it's a great idea and is touting a set of electronically controlled bands that cost $1200.  Thankfully I'm not a poor, but I still want to make damn sure there's empirical evidence these things work before plopping down that kind of change.  

I'm thinking of buying a cheap set from Amazon for us to try out before I drop serious change on anything more.
View Quote
My suspicion is that for the vast majority of folks, the best result is going to be a placebo effect. $1200 for what a couple velcro straps can do equally well is fool's territory.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]

The negative is that my wife's boss has convinced her it's a great idea. He's a huge proponent of Dr Malone, the guy that "invented" mRNA vaccine technology.  Dr Malone is touting this new system.  Boss is pointing her toward a set of electronically controlled bands that cost $1200.  Thankfully I'm not a poor, but I still want to make damn sure there's empirical evidence these things work before plopping down that kind of change.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jcatcg:
I don't recall reading any real negatives about it though, so give it a shot if you feel like it and report back.

Yeah, they're like $10 or so, I'd do that first.  That's what I did.  I'm not sure what extra benefit you'd get from electronic ones.

What's the goal?  

I've been using them steadily now for about 6 weeks or so (started once before and stopped).  Another dude in my gym uses them and swore by them.  For him and I is to get gains with lighter weight.  I do get a crazy pump with them, and it seems like I'm growing with them.  Haven't measured so it could all be placebo.  I threw in one light arm workout per week using the BFR bands supersetting biceps & triceps.  

As a poster above mentioned I guess there's probably more risk the older you are blowing out blood vessels.

https://biolayne.com/articles/training/beginners-guide-blood-flow-restriction-training/
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I first saw this from a fitness article with Mark Wahlberg.  He was a big proponent of it.

The explanation made sense, but I don't think its for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I used them through a program I did. They were pretty intense. I'm not convinced they did a whole lot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Mitchell Hooper has been using them for a few months and seems to be a fan.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
Mitchell Hooper has been using them for a few months and seems to be a fan.
View Quote

What's the data? I listened to a guy pumping them a few years back and nothing he was explaining made any sense to me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Gator:

What's the goal?  

View Quote

As I mentioned in the OP, I'm 61 years old.  What I didn't mention is that I have two surgically repaired knees and an iffy back.  I simply can't squat the way I used to but I still want to get the benefit of heavy squats.  These bands sound like the exact recipe for success. They SOUND that way.  Looking here for confirmation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#16]

As I mentioned in the OP, I'm 61 years old.  What I didn't mention is that I have two surgically repaired knees and an iffy back.  I simply can't squat the way I used to but I still want to get the benefit of heavy squats.  These bands sound like the exact recipe for success. They SOUND that way.  Looking here for confirmation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gator:

What's the goal?  

There is only one way to get the benifits of lifting heavy.
You are only three years older than me. A trainer might be more benificial than a machanical device.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

What's the data? I listened to a guy pumping them a few years back and nothing he was explaining made any sense to me.
View Quote

I only saw the video that's in the article. I hadn't heard of such a thing until I watched his videos where he uses them. His real job is a physical therapist, a lot of his insight towards training seems to come from that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top