Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We need "looser pays" tort reform
View Quote
Yes we do, but this cop and PD should pay.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Everyone is always looking for "mah lotto payout" these days.

View Quote

This.  The police responded according to the information given by the caller.  When they were told that information was incorrect, they released the people.  Suing the caller, they might have a case but it doesn’t sound like the police did anything wrong.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Whose civil rights were violated? Police have authority to detain if there is reasonable suspicion a crime is in progress.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee, maybe Police Departments should factor that into their training and procedures.

"Remember that Civil Rights are important, guys.  I mean, we don't care about offending or illegally detaining anyone, but some of them might sue us!"

Whose civil rights were violated? Police have authority to detain if there is reasonable suspicion a crime is in progress.

Is this a serious comment? Or are you being sarcastic??

In no way does a real estate agent showing a black man a house that's for sale, suggest a reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed.

Unless the agent was helping the guy cary the TV out the front door when the cops showed up, these people are going to get paid.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh for the love of God.  I’m drunker than dog bawlls so cut me some slack.  Qualified Imunity  or QI is a good faith defense.   When I was in the police academy they said it only meant you were a stupid POS and you meant well but screwed up.  It didn’t protect you from criminal charges.  It only meant you were protected from civil charges.  If you should have known better but screwed up you were hosed.  If you get rid of QI it just means cops will be to afraid of doing their jobs.  Stop or I’ll say stop again.  Oh no now you did it.  I’m writing a report.  Don’t know who the bad guy is but by God I wrote a report.   What?! I saw you were getting violently gang raped.  How was I supposed to know you weren’t a kinky gal who enjoyed that sort of thing?  I mean after all you were unconscious.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The caller needs to be added to the lawsuit.
View Quote

Unless the real estate agent drives the same vehicle as the suspect from last week, then the caller is 90% responsible on this one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh for the love of God.  I’m drunker than dog bawlls so cut me some slack.  Qualified Imunity  or QI is a good faith defense.   When I was in the police academy they said it only meant you were a stupid POS and you meant well but screwed up.  It didn’t protect you from criminal charges.  It only meant you were protected from civil charges.  If you should have known better but screwed up you were hosed.  If you get rid of QI it just means cops will be to afraid of doing their jobs.  Stop or I’ll say stop again.  Oh no now you did it.  I’m writing a report.  Don’t know who the bad guy is but by God I wrote a report.   What?! I saw you were getting violently gang raped.  How was I supposed to know you weren’t a kinky gal who enjoyed that sort of thing?  I mean after all you were unconscious.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the pic in OP is the realtor, I can see why the whole thing was suspect. I've never had a realtor that wasn't dressed, at least, in business casual.
View Quote

Ooooh, the White Patriarchy rears its ugly head.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm good with the lawsuit as well. Given that it happened in Wyoming there is a 91.44% the caller was white.   I don't think it unreasonable to expect a police department to announce themselves and ask what the people are doing in the house in this type of scenario.  The neighbor should be included for making a false report.

View Quote

This is apparently a town named "Wyoming", in Michigan.
If this was the real Wyoming they'd prolly still be in jail.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the pic in OP is the realtor, I can see why the whole thing was suspect. I've never had a realtor that wasn't dressed, at least, in business casual.

Look who's pretending to be concerned because it's another chance to hate on cops...
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For what?

You can detain on reasonable suspicion.  The complainant made a confirmed eye witness identification of the alleged suspect that was stated to be a prior recent named offender.  The officers used reasonable force for the apparent crime of an active burglary in progress.  They investigated, quickly determined the facts, and released the detained subjects.  They were professional and apologized  for the inconvenience.

That's how its supposed to work.

View Quote

Pretty much how I see it.

We had the cops called on us when we were looking at a home once, it was after dark and there was no power in the house, so when the neighbor saw flashlights shining around inside the house they assumed the worse.  Cops showed up, with guns drawn, announced themselves and told us to come down the stairs (we were on the second floor at the time)....because we live in a small town the cop recognized me and we had a good laugh about it.  Another house in the neighbor that was for sale previously had people break in and bust out walls to steal copper....caused a stupid amount of damage.

We also bought the house, having neighbors that actually look out for each other and their property was actually a positive for us.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not how the law works. I'm glad the legal system doesn't work on feelings, myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am going with good lawsuit, I think the neighbor should be added to it as well. What are the chances she is a middle aged white liberal women?

I'm good with the lawsuit as well. Given that it happened in Wyoming there is a 91.44% the caller was white.   I don't think it unreasonable to expect a police department to announce themselves and ask what the people are doing in the house in this type of scenario.  The neighbor should be included for making a false report.

Not how the law works. I'm glad the legal system doesn't work on feelings, myself.

How dare officers treat people with respect...especially when they are black.  I see your point.

Expecting LEOs to ask people, during daylight hours, why they are inside a house with a For Sale sign in the front yard is not an unreasonable expectation.  The same with looking at the scene and determining how to proceed, was the door kicked in or was it unlocked?  

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#12]
God bless QI.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Everything goes exactly as it should, and some GDers still want to find any reason to hate the cops
View Quote

I would need to see body cam footage to form an opinion. I dealt with a cop 2 weeks ago who behaved like an enormous piece of shit for no reason whatsoever. We were at a comedy show with 3 other couples, waiting for one of the girls to finish using the restroom following the performance before exiting the venue. There were back-to-back shows booked and they were frantically pushing patrons out in order to seat for the next performance. The usher told us we needed to leave immediately so that those waiting outside could be seated. I politely explain that we would leave as soon as she exits the bathroom, and that it would be rude to leave her alone in a crowd instead of waiting for her.

He then calls a cop over, I give him the same calm explanation, and this guy proceeds to try & get up in my face “Yeah, look at the lawyer over here (not a lawyer btw) trying to cause a problem. Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc.” Dude was super rude & aggressive, clearly trying to instigate a fight for no reason. Keep in mind I was dressed up in a sports coat at a nice venue, imagine how he treats everyone else. Pissed me off enough that I considered filing a complaint, but based on his attitude I can only assume this type of behavior is tolerated within the department.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you determine who the loosest is?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#15]
You guys want to get really amazed, ponder this one.

There are day time burglars who dress and  represent themselves as service workers or realtors.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what? They did exactly what they were supposed to do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#17]
It sounds like their beef is with the neighbor who called 911 and not the cops.

The only problems with the incident is….  1) the neighbor who called 911 is stupid. 2) the homebuyers are making it a race thing for a settlement.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am going with good lawsuit, I think the neighbor should be added to it as well. What are the chances she is a middle aged white liberal women?
View Quote

Calling the police on black people is racist.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#19]
More details from a different article:

They said the neighbor thought she recognized their car as the same black Mercedes used by the person who originally broke in.  There was no Mercedes outside the home. Brown and Thorne had driven to the house in a Chevrolet and a Hyundai.

Some bodycam footage in this tweet.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How dare officers treat people with respect...especially when they are black.  I see your point.

Expecting LEOs to ask people, during daylight hours, why they are inside a house with a For Sale sign in the front yard is not an unreasonable expectation.  The same with looking at the scene and determining how to proceed, was the door kicked in or was it unlocked?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Other than the dudes being black, what were they doing that looked so suspicious?

Were they taking the TV off the wall, and claiming that they just wanted to see what it looked like somewhere else? Did the guy climb in a window because he couldn't get the lockbox to work??

Obviously a real estate agent showing a house thats for sale doesn't warrant guns drawn, hands above heads, and everyone placed in cuffs.

Either there is more to this story, or these cops and neighbor need to pay
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’d still buy the house (if it’s what I wanted) and make the neighbor who called the cops live in shame.
View Quote

That always works out. Forced integration is best integration.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For what?

You can detain on reasonable suspicion.  The complainant made a confirmed eye witness identification of the alleged suspect that was stated to be a prior recent named offender.  The officers used reasonable force for the apparent crime of an active burglary in progress.  They investigated, quickly determined the facts, and released the detained subjects.  They were professional and apologized  for the inconvenience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like Samuel has a pretty nice college fund in the works.

For what?

What is reasonable suspicion?  What does it take to alleviate that suspicion?  

Seems that if someone states they are a realtor and offers a business card then maybe one could holster their weapons and hold off a moment on the handcuffs.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So “see something say something” unless the something you see involves a POC.  Is that how this works?

View Quote

That's the end goal of anarcho-tyranny.  They've been working towards accountability free lives for best most pigmented americans for quite some time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calling the police because a person can't tell the difference between Mercedes and a Chevy while also thinking all black people look alike...that person is a dumb racist.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Ah, you know, I think I'd be pretty pissed if I got "perp walked" from a house I was showing as a real estate agent. I'd probably be more pissed, if I got "perp walked" for looking at a house.

Don't know that I'd sue over it, but I WOULD let my displeasure be known.

It seems there was enough to suspect the the neighbor was FoS, from the sounds of it.

Yeah, I GET that the place was recently broken into, but when you arrive and it isn't the same car and isn't the same guy, maybe you can dial it back a little?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would need to see body cam footage to form an opinion. I dealt with a cop 2 weeks ago who behaved like an enormous piece of shit for no reason whatsoever. We were at a comedy show with 3 other couples, waiting for one of the girls to finish using the restroom following the performance before exiting the venue. There were back-to-back shows booked and they were frantically pushing patrons out in order to seat for the next performance. The usher told us we needed to leave immediately so that those waiting outside could be seated. I politely explain that we would leave as soon as she exits the bathroom, and that it would be rude to leave her alone in a crowd instead of waiting for her.

He then calls a cop over, I give him the same calm explanation, and this guy proceeds to try & get up in my face "Yeah, look at the lawyer over here (not a lawyer btw) trying to cause a problem. Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc." Dude was super rude & aggressive, clearly trying to instigate a fight for no reason. Keep in mind I was dressed up in a sports coat at a nice venue, imagine how he treats everyone else. Pissed me off enough that I considered filing a complaint, but based on his attitude I can only assume this type of behavior is tolerated within the department.
View Quote

Are you going to sue?

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pay for what exactly?
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://kubrick.htvapps.com/htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/images/hypatia-h-032e4169b51a366ab3ed3894feefc12e-h-e7f15f0686bfdcd85ef82d1d7f23119a-1633801828.jpg?crop=1.00xw:1.00xh;0,0&resize=900:*

The real estate agent, Eric Brown, was showing a home to his client, Roy Thorne, and his 15-year-old son, Samuel, on Aug. 1, when police, responding to a neighbor's call, showed up at the house, ordered those inside to leave with their hands in the air and handcuffed them.

They were all released soon after.

The lawsuit, filed Oct. 1 in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, seeks unspecified damages on five counts, claiming six police officers violated the plaintiffs' civil rights, including unlawful detainment and excessive force, as well as violations of equal protection. Other counts include assault and battery, false imprisonment and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

The city of Wyoming, the six officers involved, and the police chief are all named as defendants.

The lawsuit stems from an incident on Aug. 1, when a neighbor called authorities reporting that a suspect arrested at the property a week prior for unlawful entry had returned to the scene in the same car, according to a timeline previously released by the Wyoming Department of Public Safety.

In audio of the call released by Wyoming police in August, the caller is heard telling dispatch that a "young Black man" had been arrested at the house the week before. Police said it was a different caller from the initial incident, but "the caller was aware of the previous arrest and had seen the arrested individual and his vehicle," and had been asked by the homeowner to watch the house.

A Wyoming officer contacted the caller to clarify that it was the same suspect and vehicle from the previous incident. The caller confirmed it was, police said.

The caller was mistaken, however. Brown was giving Thorne and his son a tour of the home after scheduling the visit online the day before, Brown would explain to the officers, according to body camera footage released by police.

Footage captured by police dashcams and body cameras showed the officers arriving and ordering the three out of the house with their hands in the air. They left the home one by one, following the officers' orders. They were each handcuffed, and Thorne and his teenage son were briefly placed in the back seats of separate patrol vehicles.

All three were released without incident after Brown explained that he was a real estate agent. Officers are heard in the footage explaining that the house had been broken into the week before, acknowledging this appeared to be a "misunderstanding." The officers removed the handcuffs from Thorne and his son and are heard apologizing.

The lawsuit attributes the way the plaintiffs were treated to the fact they are Black, saying, "Had the Plaintiffs not been African American men, they would not have been held at gun point, would not have been detained, and would not have been handcuffed."

Two officers unholstered their firearms during the incident, the Wyoming police said previously, noting that this is standard protocol when officers respond to a "reported home invasion in progress with multiple individuals inside a home."

Additionally, the lawsuit claims the officers had evidence that neither Brown, Thorne or his son were the individual that had been arrested the week before because their cars and their license plates did not match the previous suspect's.

In August, the Wyoming Department of Public Safety said it had conducted an internal review and concluded that "race played no role in our officers' treatment of the individuals, and our officers responded appropriately."

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/black-real-estate-agent-and-his-black-clients-file-lawsuit-after-being-handcuffed-by-police/37916225

This is going to get kicked. Same thing would have happened with white people.

This is what QI is for.
View Quote
The government entity doesn't get QI.  Dey gonna git payd.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#29]
These aren't my pants....
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

pay for what exactly?
View Quote
They have to pay, simply for having the ability to pay.  This is how stupid juries tend to be.

I was trap shooting with a personal injury attorney.  He was working a case where a guy was hitting a hammer with another hammer and lost an eye.  Logical me asks why the manufacturer was responsible, because everyone over 4 years old has read the warning labels.  His response was "someone has to pay".
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Sounds to me like the police did their jobs and were careful to verify the information with the complainant. That’s who needs to be sued.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What is reasonable suspicion?  What does it take to elevate that suspicion?  

Seems that if someone states they are a realtor and offers a business card then maybe one could holster their weapons and hold off a moment on the handcuffs.

View Quote

All that discussion happened after the scene was secure.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Look who's pretending to be concerned because it's another chance to hate on cops...
View Quote

You misunderstand.
I am merely standing up for the right of People of Color (i. e. "best people") to dress according to their cultural inclinations without being judged.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What is reasonable suspicion?  What does it take to elevate that suspicion?  

View Quote
Previous break in 8 days ago.  Caller IDs at least one subject as the one that broke in previously. "Realtor" dressed in air Jordan t shirt and sweatpants.  

The occupants were called out to officers that surrounded the house.  I'm not walking up to the house with a "How ya doin"? And offering a handshake.  This town isn't Mayberry BFE population 870.  Major residential / urban area.  Lots of people with a decent amount of crime.  You'd be the very definition of retarded if you didn't put them in handcuffs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sounds to me like the police did their jobs and were careful to verify the information with the complainant. That’s who needs to be sued.
View Quote
If the complainant is poor, they aren't in consideration for the lawsuit.  It is all about deep pockets and who has the ability to pay, along with race politics thrown in the mix.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.

Other than the dudes being black, what were they doing that looked so suspicious?

Were they taking the TV off the wall, and claiming that they just wanted to see what it looked like somewhere else? Did the guy climb in a window because he couldn't get the lockbox to work??

Obviously a real estate agent showing a house thats for sale doesn't warrant guns drawn, hands above heads, and everyone placed in cuffs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

The dumb racist neighbor started the whole mess by repeatedly making false statements to 911.  The officers were going off the information that same person who broke into the house is back.  They could have noticed there were 2 cars there instead and 1 and there was no Mercedes like the caller stated, assuming the dispatcher passed that information along.  Instead they took the callers statement at face value and treated the innocent people inside the house like felons.  To their credit the police release the realtor quickly once they determined what the situation was, from the bodycam footage the realtor was in cuffs for about 2 minutes before being let go.  

Michigan does have a swatting law, which this would could fall under.  A caller making repeated false statements that resulted in a armed response by law enforcement.  

According to Michigan Penal Code Section 750.411a:For making a false report of an emergency, a person could be charged with a misdemeanor and fined $10,000. Lawmakers have estimated that is what it costs the police department to respond to a crisis like this.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They have to pay, simply for having the ability to pay.  This is how stupid juries tend to be.

I was trap shooting with a personal injury attorney.  He was working a case where a guy was hitting a hammer with another hammer and lost an eye.  Logical me asks why the manufacturer was responsible, because everyone over 4 years old has read the warning labels.  His response was "someone has to pay".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pay for what exactly?

haha exactly.  I mean if I'm the realtor I'm not happy about it either but the neighbor is the only person that fucked up here.  Probably a pearl clutching white woman who has no idea what different cars look like.  Saw a certain color car and made a dumbass assumption.  

I agree with folks that LEO in general isn't doing themselves a lot of favors these days but seems like they did what they needed to do here.  Cleared up the situation when they arrived after being given false information.  I have been cuffed before when I hadn't done anything wrong.  Didn't love it, also didn't sue the world over it.  People are so fucking soft these days.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Not the same story or city, but close to the same circumstances.

If $151,000 is a loser to y'all, then I guess this one will be a loser too.

City settles lawsuit by realtor, home buyer
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Shhhhh....
View Quote

A popular tweaker theme lately is to have a bunch of different key fobs as part of your burglary tool kit.  GM, Ford, Toyota, Chevy, etc.

Then they find a property with (what they think) is a property with no one home,  and a vehicle parked outside.  They Google an owner name for the address.

If some one confronts them, they pull out the appropriate key fob and claim they were sent to 123 Elm Street to pick up a Chevy Truck belonging to Joe Smith.

Of course Joe Smith gets pissed, but obviously this is just a big mistake, sorry, have a nice day.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I was chased down and cuffed at gun point many years back on my MC.

Cops had a description of someone that matched my description on a bike fleeing a crime scene that I happened to be driving in the area.
Cops were typical dicks and asked me questions that I answered which they ignored because they were sure they "got me".

After 15 minutes cuffed in the car they brought someone by to ID me and when the people looked in the car they said "that's not the guy".

When they let me out of the car I said "who wants to apologize first". Cops really did not want to talk much but I gave them back the shit they gave me then left.

Shit happens but I never considered a lawsuit but it must be the thing to do now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Are you going to sue?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He then calls a cop over, I give him the same calm explanation, and this guy proceeds to try & get up in my face "Yeah, look at the lawyer over here (not a lawyer btw) trying to cause a problem. Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc." Dude was super rude & aggressive, clearly trying to instigate a fight for no reason. Keep in mind I was dressed up in a sports coat at a nice venue, imagine how he treats everyone else. Pissed me off enough that I considered filing a complaint, but based on his attitude I can only assume this type of behavior is tolerated within the department.

Are you going to sue?

@vanilla_gorilla

No, but fuck that guy. Behavior like this is pretty damaging when directed towards people who support you guys 99% of the time. Sounds like y’all might be 2 peas in a pod though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Shhhhh....
View Quote

Realtors hauling stuff out of people's houses? lol

Every single one of those boxes know exactly who the realtor was who went in and what time and when they left. AND a lot of homeowners know when their front doors are open.

It takes one look for a cop to see if the lock box on the door is open and still on the door or sitting somewhere close to the front door and open or if the front door has been forced open and the lock box is still locked on the door.

Give me a break. This is stuff any police officer would see without looking for it when entering a home that is for sale by any realtor.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

For what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like Samuel has a pretty nice college fund in the works.

For what?

Except they didn't.  The car was not the same, nor was the person the same, which means the only connection this eye witness made was that apparently both people were black.  The cops just cant go around taking whatever some retard witness says as gospel, especially when a very quick check of last weeks incident would show a different vehicle.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#45]
I say in this bullshit "Muh Feelz!!!" "You iz rassiss!!!" climate, fucking go for it.  Cash out and punch out!

The call and response were completely legit because homey and his two fuck buddies were strangers in the neighborhood, dressed like thugs, and were going into a house they didn't own.  If the real estate fuckwit had been wearing a suit or even just a fucking blazer this prob wouldn't have happened but he elected to show up in sweats and felony flyers.  Fuck them but good luck on the cheddah grab.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The dumb racist neighbor started the whole mess by repeatedly making false statements to 911.  The officers were going off the information that same person who broke into the house is back.  They could have noticed there were 2 cars there instead and 1 and there was no Mercedes like the caller stated, assuming the dispatcher passed that information along.  Instead they took the callers statement at face value and treated the innocent people inside the house like felons.  To their credit the police release the realtor quickly once they determined what the situation was, from the bodycam footage the realtor was in cuffs for about 2 minutes before being let go.  

Michigan does have a swatting law, which this would could fall under.  A caller making repeated false statements that resulted in a armed response by law enforcement.  

According to Michigan Penal Code Section 750.411a:For making a false report of an emergency, a person could be charged with a misdemeanor and fined $10,000. Lawmakers have estimated that is what it costs the police department to respond to a crisis like this.

View Quote

How do you know the complainant is a racist? How do you know the complainant is even white? Lots of racial assumptions you are making.

Could’ve been an honest mistake.  If you’ve ever worked in a high property crime shit neighborhood, the regular residents are often on edge about the constant property crime.

One thing that is funny, if you’ve ever worked LE in poor areas, the locals will call the police on “out of place” people like it’s cool.  Don’t be walking around a poor white neighborhood if you are a stranger that looks like Badger the tweaker.  Working class black folks will most definitely call 9-1-1 to report “a black man who don’t belong here” is walking on their street.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Shhhhh....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys want to get really amazed, ponder this one.

There are day time burglars who dress and  represent themselves as service workers or realtors.

Shhhhh....

Is your first response to pull your gun and put any person you want to talk to in cuffs first?  That's what the lawsuit is about, not that police responded but how they responded.

Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes we do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes we do.
States will not go for that
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#50]
seems to me that having a real estate license would be a great way to case properties...  just saying.  The vast majority of real estate agents that have shown property to me have had logo's on their cars.

That said, I have gone to a properties listed without a real estate agent (abet I called the listing agent first).  Property were a decent amount out of the way and undeveloped.  I chatted with the neighbor, he seemed like a good person - abet pissed off because the seller was fucking him over.  He is now my neighbor.  He had sold the lot to a friend for a cheap price, owner financed.  The buyer had stopped making payments and owed him most of the purchase price - he was afraid his buyer was going to take the money and run, leaving him shit out of luck.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top