Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2024 10:26:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams]
So I make jerky all the time but I’m interested in this biltong stuff because it looks like they soak it in vinegar for a day and hang the meat  without a dehydrator for days.  Some you tubers are hanging it inside and if the weather is nice they are hanging outside.  But what’s intriguing is interesting is it looks like the vinegar and salt is keeping from spoiling till it’s dry.  And they are using some thick pieces.  Taking days to dry.

Looks like a good way to make lots of dried meat because my limiting factor is the size of my dehydrator
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:46:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#1]
Vinegar, salt, and coriander are the holy trinity of biltong.

I made a biltong box out of a cardboard box, some fiberglass screen, some dowels, a light bulb, and a computer fan. The light bulb and fan may not be necessary for you if you have low humidity in your area.

Easy & Cheap Way to Build a Biltong Box - Dry Curing Meat for Beginners
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing. I did not realize how easy it would be to make.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
How is the taste and texture compared to smoked or dehydrated jerky? I’ve never tried biltong but its sounds like something I would enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m about to make some.  We’ll see
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:39:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Logan45:
How is the taste and texture compared to smoked or dehydrated jerky? I’ve never tried biltong but its sounds like something I would enjoy.
View Quote

Firmer than jerky. The finished product is slabs of dried meat that you cut slices off of.  Traditional biltong cutters look much like an old school guillotine paper cutter.

Amazon Product
  • Finest quality stainless steel blade - Precision bearing guides keep blade perfectly aligned with the cutting edge

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top