Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2023 10:44:53 AM EDT
“But why isn’t anyone ever talking to, like Chicago, like most of the shootings are young black men killing other young black men,” Maher asked his panel. “Is that not correct?”

“Yeah, that’s correct,” Brown University economist Glenn Loury replied.

“OK, much more than what the cops do,” Maher said. “Why doesn’t anybody talk about that? Why aren’t there, you know, a hundred, giant black celebrities who would have the respect of those people say ‘What are you doing to yourself, why are you killing each other?’”

“I feel like it’s never addressed,” Maher said.

When the other panelist, University of Washington international studies associate professor Daniel Bessner, said further investment would help address the problem, Maher pushed back.

He noted one in three children in the country can’t read at a basic level of comprehension and 85% of black students lack proficiency in reading skills.

“We already spend a lot of money on schools. So, are you going to keep telling me more money will fix this because I feel like this is much more connected to the problems of people who can’t read,” Maher said. “Yes, they’re going to have problems with gainful employment, and it seems like, you know, a lot of times the solutions that come from the left seem symbolic. They don’t seem like we’re addressing what really needs to be done, which is get kids learning, get them reading, get them to have a job.”

He further said, “It doesn’t seem like the money is getting to this problem if 85% of black students lack proficiency in reading skills.”
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#1]
A blind pig...
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Facts are racist.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#3]
just like LBJ intended
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Lefties are going to crush him.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck that asshole.

He's a professional panderer. I can't watch him for more than 5 minutes without seeing how absolutely insecure with himself he is.

He's like the guy leading the race at Talledega... always switching lanes back and forth to make sure he doesn't get anyone too mad at him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless there is another reason….
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just like LBJ intended
View Quote

Yes and the Department of Education is complicit.  

It’s hard for me to believe that 85% if a certain demographic in a large American city are illiterate.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#8]
He's about to get cancelled for pointing out the obvious
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Well the new Mayor sure isn't going to fix anything. He's all about defund the police and the teacher's union has him in their pockets. So I don't see anything getting better. It's only going to get worse.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm surprised Maher hasn't talked himself out of being a liberal yet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I hate Bill Maher, but he seems to be slowly beginning to understand the most pressing issues are self inflicted from the Left. And he is not afraid to get canceled by saying it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Of course the other asshole says "more investment."  That's always their answer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It’s hard for me to believe that 85% if a certain demographic in a large American city are illiterate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
just like LBJ intended

Thats a very high number...I worked in down town NOLA and pulled from the hoods.

all the folks who applied for labor were like 99% literate. Except one, he was mentally retarded, but thats not the schools fault.

A few of the folks were being hamstringed by sickle cell though. It was terrible to see them suffer from a flare up
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He further said, "It doesn't seem like the money is getting to this problem if 85% of black students lack proficiency in reading skills."
View Quote
LINK   "CPS plans to spend $9.4 billion in the 2023 school year on 321,000 students. That comes out to $29,307 per student   a new record. Just four years ago the district spent $7.5 billion on an enrollment that was 40,000 students higher. Then, the total taxpayer cost was just under $21,000 per student."

Average Illinois-wide spending per student in 2023 is under $16k, and obviously downstate spending must be a good deal less than that to counterbalance Chicago's $29k.  In neighboring Indiana it was under $11k: LINK
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I have come to the point where I'm actually willing to listen to him.  He's left, but he wrecks the far left as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Maher wants to be edgy. His former edginess is now mainstream so to get his edge back he has to flip to the other side.
He is a media whore selling his soul for whatever he can get for it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope he keeps this up.
The left needs to become more fractured than the right is.

lol@ the posters here who are butthurt that Maher has different opinions than them.
Use every weapon in your disposal to defeat the left.
Maher can be one of them.
Get past your feels.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maher wants to be edgy. His former edginess is now mainstream so to get his edge back he has to flip to the other side.
He is a media whore selling his soul for whatever he can get for it.
View Quote

Exactly

He doesn't believe in anything. It's all just a cry for everyone to notice him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Facts are racist.
View Quote

Inconvenient troof
Quoted:
just like LBJ intended
View Quote

Yep, and ph*ck LBJ
Quoted:
Fuck that asshole.

He's a professional panderer. I can't watch him for more than 5 minutes without seeing how absolutely insecure with himself he is.

He's like the guy leading the race at Talledega... always switching lanes back and forth to make sure he doesn't get anyone too mad at him.
View Quote

Concur.  His column appeared in the SF papes and that's where I learned to dislike him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#21]
He's not wrong.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Of course the other asshole says "more investment."  That's always their answer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hate Bill Maher, but he seems to be slowly beginning to understand the most pressing issues are self inflicted from the Left. And he is not afraid to get canceled by saying it!
View Quote

He chopped off his foot and now realizes he can't walk.

Fuck him. He is one of the reasons we are in this mess.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck him.  He played a huge role in setting the  conditions for this disaster.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well the new Mayor sure isn't going to fix anything. He's all about defund the police and the teacher's union has him in their pockets. So I don't see anything getting better. It's only going to get worse.
View Quote

The teachers union is just a protection racket for people that suck at teaching…lowest common denominators.  Most can’t speak English much less teach it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#27]
The op was forwarding faxes 30 years ago
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Fuck that asshole.

View Quote

Maher is being forced to stare at the creature he’s long admired. He’s wrestling with his own BS he’s pushed for years because he’s smart enough to see it’s not working.

That’s a bad place to see, to see how all the bullshit you’ve believed for years is a lie. Maybe he’s gotten to that age where he can no longer ignore it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck that asshole.

View Quote

If so, this is a huge gamble. He’s taking on the sacred cow of the Dems for the past 50 years.

They caused this—intended this. They’re not going to want to take the rap.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A blind pig...
View Quote

A speakeasy? Bars are legal in Chicago now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
LINK   "CPS plans to spend $9.4 billion in the 2023 school year on 321,000 students. That comes out to $29,307 per student   a new record. Just four years ago the district spent $7.5 billion on an enrollment that was 40,000 students higher. Then, the total taxpayer cost was just under $21,000 per student."

Average Illinois-wide spending per student in 2023 is under $16k, and obviously downstate spending must be a good deal less than that to counterbalance Chicago's $29k.  In neighboring Indiana it was under $11k: LINK
View Quote

CPS plans to spend 9.4 Billion alright but it won't be going to fix the education system. It will be embezzled and stolen and nothing will change. But hey it's just money right!?!? They can always get more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thats a very high number...I worked in down town NOLA and pulled from the hoods.

all the folks who applied for labor were like 99% literate. Except one, he was mentally retarded, but thats not the schools fault.

A few of the folks were being hamstringed by sickle cell though. It was terrible to see them suffer from a flare up
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#33]
According to the newly elected mayor, it's the fault of large corporations...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chicago-mayor-elect-brandon-johnson-rebukes-large-corporations-poverty-violence-city
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A blind pig...
View Quote

The past few years he has regularly called out the far left on their bullshit.  I’ll grant you he doesn’t exactly mirror arfcom’s interpretation of the 2A, but since most Republicans don’t, either, he’s not alone on that hill.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Its all so tiresome...
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#36]
He's becoming red-pilled.

The enemy of my enemy, is my friend.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
He's becoming red-pilled.

The enemy of my enemy, is my friend.

View Quote

Or the enemy of my enemy is out there in front of me looking for mines.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Black celebrities would maybe change 5 percent of the thugs - maybe.
It's a gang war going on, and a lack of black celebrities saying quit shooting each won't change much.
You need real prosecutors, real jail time, and a lot more leniency for the cops to sometimes make mistakes in use of force.
None of which will happen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hope he keeps this up.
The left needs to become more fractured than the right is.

lol@ the posters here who are butthurt that Maher has different opinions than them.
Use every weapon in your disposal to defeat the left.
Maher can be one of them.
Get past your feels.
View Quote

Indeed.

Poster with the bacon-adjacent avatar comes through
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
He's about to get cancelled for pointing out the obvious
View Quote

No he's not.

He's got an ace in the hole that keeps him from being canceled.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#42]
When the other panelist, University of Washington international studies associate professor Daniel Bessner,
said further investment would help address the problem, Maher pushed back.
View Quote
How much money has been dumped into the inner-cities since 1965? And things have only gotten worse. I would feel better if the government just trucked taxpayer money to a pit in the desert and burned it.
That would literally be a better use of that cash. Instead, we subsidize dysfunction - making it easier for people who shouldn't breed to breed like rabbits.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#43]
He is a leftist of the highest order. But he realizes that this stuff is destroying leftists. His motives are still from the ideology of the left, but he sees the real human cost of the bullshit policies and the silence on the underlying issues.

Make no mistake, he'd throw us into re-education camps in a heartbeat if he thought he could.

He just happens to be right about this issue.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I think the big leftist cities are reaching the end point of the progressive leftist Lindon Johnson New society wet dream.

Just like others stated look at the "teens" that "graduate" from schools in cities like Baltimore and Chicago they pretty much are illiterate.

Those cities are basically a no go zone of feral humans that cannot exist beyond the boarders of the hood.

Any of the ones that managed to get a education flee to the safety outside the zoo.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How much money has been dumped into the inner-cities since 1965? And things have only gotten worse.
Honestly, I would feel better if the government just trucked taxpayer money to a pit in the desert and burned it.
That would literally be a better use of that cash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
When the other panelist, University of Washington international studies associate professor Daniel Bessner,
said further investment would help address the problem, Maher pushed back.
How much money has been dumped into the inner-cities since 1965? And things have only gotten worse.
Honestly, I would feel better if the government just trucked taxpayer money to a pit in the desert and burned it.
That would literally be a better use of that cash.

It's almost as if we sent money to Africa.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#46]
In regards to Maher’s pointing to the policy of throwing more and more money at the problem, to only have the problem become worse, one only has to look where the money goes. I realize that’s an obvious observation.

Chicago corruption would require a Richter Scale to measure, but members who live in smaller cities, towns and counties would be surprised how much corruption and taxpayer abuse is taking place right under their noses.

Local government officials, both elected and career bureaucrats, largely operate in the shadows and many of their policy decisions are made in closed door sessions, whose minutes may or may not be published. And even if the minutes are published on their website, they could be 87 clicks in and are viewed by no one. Local government corruption and taxpayer abuse takes place gradually, over decades. Keep in mind, bureaucrats have all day to think of ways to enrich themselves at taxpayer expense and they can be quite creative. Local government Elected officials often have little to no knowledge of Local government policies and budgets and they are usually easy prey for career bureaucrats who, conversely, can be crafty and cunning. These bureaucrats are smart enough to explain to the Elected officials that many of the same self-enrichment perks that they negotiate for themselves can be me-too’d by Elected officials. Bureaucrats do this to create what I refer to as a “benefit ally” relationship with the Elected officials, therefore removing the most important line of separation between the two. Money. Trying to bring to a vote, let only get a majority vote, the elimination of a taxpayer abusive perk that Elected officials benefit from can be very difficult.

Remember, Local government Elected officials have two primary obligations to the taxpayers who elected them.

1. To make decisions in the best interest of the taxpayers who elected them, NOT in the best interest of the entity they govern. They are two different interests.

2. Protect taxpayers from being abused by bureaucrats.

It’s very simple, but it requires courage that the overwhelming majority of your current Elected officials do not have.

We should have a sub-forum for Local government policy and budget discussion. I’ve been fighting Local government corruption and taxpayer abuse for nearly 20 years and I’d like to help other members do the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He is a leftist of the highest order. But he realizes that this stuff is destroying leftists. His motives are still from the ideology of the left, but he sees the real human cost of the bullshit policies and the silence on the underlying issues.

Make no mistake, he'd throw us into re-education camps in a heartbeat if he thought he could.

He just happens to be right about this issue.
View Quote

This right here is true. He hates conservatives and reeducation camps would be the nicest thing he'd wish upon us. But I will say it's nice to see him calling out the lunatics on the Left.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's surprised me with his common sense positions lately.

If midnight basketball and hiring more teachers were the answers, the urban yute violent crime problem would have been solved decades ago. Outside influences have not solved the problem, and insiders just pander for more money and programs that don't address the underlying system problems, which are NOT systemic racism.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
just like LBJ intended
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#50]
He is right that 85 percent of 8th grade black kids are not functionally  literate.  In Decatur Illinois, only 5 % of black kids can read.

https://thehill.com/opinion/education/579750-many-of-americas-black-youths-cannot-read-or-do-math-and-that-imperils-us/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top