Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2020 9:03:46 PM EDT
180mm travel.  Going on my Santa Cruz Nomad and will be replacing the Rockshok Lyric.  The Lyric is not a bad fork, but im looking forward to the increased rigidity and adjustability of the 38.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
180mm travel.  Going on my Santa Cruz Nomad and will be replacing the Rockshok Lyric.  The Lyric is not a bad fork, but im looking forward to the increased rigidity and adjustability of the 38.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/154626/E7D8CF58-AF31-402D-8064-FD7DC047FD91_jpe-1461967.JPG
View Quote

That is a lot of travel for my AO.  I get by just fine with half that and in fact I lock it out on many climbs, but then I am more of a X-Country type guy and my area is all just flat with some ups and downs along with a ton of small slick roots.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn,  I was not aware that a 38mm single crown fork existed.  The 36 160 float on my sb 5.5 is pretty damn stiff. I’m 215 pounds and smash the fuck out of my bike. Maybe bigger stanchions are in my future.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn,  I was not aware that a 38mm single crown fork existed.  The 36 160 float on my sb 5.5 is pretty damn stiff. I’m 215 pounds and smash the fuck out of my bike. Maybe bigger stanchions are in my future.
View Quote

I'm rocking a Pike, at 150mm, and this new 38mm Fox makes it look like an old Sid!! Unfortunately, I'm bike poor, so a new fork will have to wait!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That is sexy. Fox 36 Factory with 150mm here. I would get 180 if I lived further north or out West. Hell, I would by a dedicated DH bike.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm good on a 34mm Mattoc
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm good on a 34mm Mattoc
View Quote

Yeah, but I’m a fat boy (210 lbs) so I need the support!

My review of the Fox 38 is that it is the perfect fork for downhill, big hits, e-bikes, and heavier riders.  So supple in the first third of travel, tons of support in the middle third, and epic bottoming resistance in the bottom third.  A huge amount of adjustment as well.  I was able to fully enjoy the Fox 38 this week in Moab although my spokes were pinging in protest!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm rocking a Pike, at 150mm, and this new 38mm Fox makes it look like an old Sid!! Unfortunately, I'm bike poor, so a new fork will have to wait!!
View Quote

A lyric/yari,  fox 36 is far superior to a pike! Especially if you are close to Clydesdale weight.
Plenty of those three for sale used in pinkbike classifieds.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice fork op, sounds like a new front wheel might be in your future.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a good looking bike churchi, and I also like it since it's a real mountain bike.

Maybe a set of carbon wheels are in your future. Better stiffness.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#10]
that's a bad ass fork.

I'm running a DVO sapphire.

I weigh like 150 and only wanted 120mm travel. rides great especially once I got the OTT tuned just right.

They've earned my business in the future, I was doing a lower leg service last winter, totally busted a part inside, called to order the part I broke and they were like "dude, we'll just sendi it as a warranty" it was in my mail box like 4 days later.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's a good looking bike churchi, and I also like it since it's a real mountain bike.

Maybe a set of carbon wheels are in your future. Better stiffness.
View Quote

Thank you sir! I agree on the carbon wheels.... maybe.  

I almost bought a set of brand new Santa Cruz reserve wheels on Pinkbike that were only $1300 with hubs, spokes and everything, but after doing a ton of research on carbon wheels in general i think i might not enjoy some of their properties.  I was suprised to learn that a ton of full blown downhill racers still prefer alloy rims and i do ding my rims quite a bit whereas the carbon might crack.  The jury is still out on this one.

Rode Slickrock trail 2 days in a row.  The lighter rims would have been nice there up some of those monster climbs, but i was able to clear the whole trail thanks to the low granny gear and shock lockout.

Saw lots of unreal e-bikes there this year, ha ha.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm with you on not liking the negative aspects of carbon rims.
The harsh ride that many have is a total turn-off.
Plus its too easy to crack em if you have a low pressure rock impact.
I know, many offer a fair cost for replacement,  but the down time and costs defer many people from carbon rims.
Look hard at Spank oozy359 rear 350oozy front rims.
Vibrocore if you want vibration damping.
I'm on two sets of 350 wheels with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top