Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2023 10:52:27 AM EDT
After going through an extended power outage 2 weeks ago I have been investigating ways to improve my backup systems (gas fireplace and backup generator). I was thinking about adding a Big Buddy propane heater to the inventory. Many people seem to really like the Big Buddy heaters, so last night I spent about a hour reading a couple of hundred reviews on Amazon. The vast majority seem to have nothing but great things to say. But I noticed there were a large number of reviews claiming there is a harsh propane smell and they experienced burning eyes. Many people said they had a severe headache for 3 or 4 days after using the Big Buddy heater. A lot of people said some of the 1lb propane bottles leak at the connection point during use. This sounds like some dangerous conditions. Do you guys have any idea what is going on here? Bad quality control? User error? Lack of maintenance?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not install an indirect propane heater as a wall unit?

All the heat, none of the byproduct.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Got one. No issues.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#4]
We have a buddy heater hooked up to a 20lb propane cylinder right in front of us.  I used to use, and refill, the 1lb bottles.  We don't smell much of anything and there's certainly no harsh fumes or bothered eyes.  Someone is either lying or never used one, or used it properly.  There are also those radiant heaters that affix to the top of the propane bottles.  Even a small one is too much for all but the worst scenarios.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
During the last cold snap I ran one in a basement room that gets cold. I installed a smoke/CO detector directly above it to see if it would go off, and it did not. Unknown about burning eyes/headaches as I didn't spend any time there. I only noticed a burnt propane order if I stood directly above it, other then that nothing if I was anywhere else in the room.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I use one every morning in my garage gym. No issues though I do sometimes catch a slight smell of propane. It so minor I don't think twice about it. I do have a hose and adapter to run a 20lb bottle under the garage door but haven't felt the need to use it.

I actually want to get another one as a backup. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Do the prime/startup outside and let the panel get glowing before you bring it inside.  Takes just a few minutes.

From what i read, it's during the startup/warmup that most incomplete combustion occurs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I just used mine during the last cold snap. Furnace blower motor went out and my HVAC guy couldn't get to me for about 24hrs. Placed it in the middle of the house on the first floor. Kept the house liveable (high 50s) and supplemented with a few electric space heaters.

I have one of the OG units with the blower option. On high it produces 20,000 BTUs.

Been using it for years at deer camp too. Get the hose with regulator so it can be attached to 20lb+ tanks.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Who has the best deal on the 1lb bottles and what brand should I use?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got three of them, no issues.  You can smell them when they're running, yes, but if there were unresolved safety issues with them we'd have heard about it a long time before now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Use them in an ice fishing tent. No issues. Handy to have around if you need to heat up a shed or whatever.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, just because of the times that we live in and nothing that you can depend on, it wouldn't hurt to add a couple to your inventory. Don't forget a couple of filters if you want to run them off of the larger tanks.

Bass Pro had the cheapest that I could find

Filter

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Just buy half a dozen from wherever and then get the adapter to refill them.

Either that or skip the little tanks and get the adapter to run it off a normal tank.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Any heater that is burning any kind of gas inside is going to dump a lot of humidity into the room.  This might not be a problem in a dry environment, but in a place like Houston, water will be dripping off the inside of your windows and any other surface that might be cold.  This could cause water damage.

I would only use them as a backup heat source unless you are in the desert. As far as the complaints you read about, I imagine most of them are user error.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Never had any of those issues. Buy ten or so 1lb bottles but also get a refill adapter as they are easy to refill at home. As well get the adapter for the larger tanks with the filter.

But for a larger area the Buddy heaters that are wall mount are the bomb and can be used with 100 pound tanks easily.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#17]
So I have the big buddy dual cylinder model with the 20lbs propane hook up. My buddy lost his furnace and for whatever reason doesn't want to spend the money on a new one right now. He's an alcoholic so I don't try and reason with him much so anyway. So I lent him my heater and he has been using it for about eight weeks with no issues. When it is on high I would say it does give off a little smell , but not much. He ran the 20lb tank about six to eight hours a day on low and was able to get about 10 days out of it.

When I messed with it on high and stood near it I got the feeling it put off some Carbon Monoxide , got a little light headed after about 30 min. With any heater like this I would get one of the battery operated alarms for it and make sure it is working before using.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#18]
we have 3 - bought one full boat - wife had to use it when I wasn't home and we bought two more for like $60 each when they went on clearance.

Power down and I'm not how wife can start with 1 lb bottles till I get home , we can then connect to the big bottles via remote hose thing.  One unit is NIB as a reserve.

love 'em
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one (Big Buddy) sitting next to me currently. I've run a dozen or so 1lb bottles through it in the 3 years I've owned it. No issues whatsoever. Walmart typically has the best price on the 1lb bottles - Coleman brand, typically $10 or so for a 2-pack.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one and have used it for years in the ham shack.

Sometimes I've noticed the propane smell but it usually is when the tank is finally running out of fuel. I use a 20lb cylinder.

In recent years I've seen that the lowest heat setting doesn't want to stay lit and the pilot light is finicky. The pilot light issue seems to be due to the orifice being dirty and needing a cleaning. The low heat setting may be related to that.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Olde tyme.  Just don't first light it indoors.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
After going through an extended power outage 2 weeks ago I have been investing ways to improve my backup systems (gas fireplace and backup generator). I was thinking about adding a Big Buddy propane heater to the inventory. Many people seem to really like the Big Buddy heaters, so last night I spent about a hour reading a couple of hundred reviews on Amazon. The vast majority seem to have nothing but great things to say. But I noticed there were a large number of reviews claiming there is a harsh propane smell and they experienced burning eyes. Many people said they had a severe headache for 3 or 4 days after using the Big Buddy heater. A lot of people said some of the 1lb propane bottles leak at the connection point during use. This sounds like some dangerous conditions. Do you guys have any idea what is going on here? Bad quality control? User error? Lack of maintenance?
View Quote

A lot of Karens "suffer" from multiple chemical sensitivity and firbra myalgia too.

I've had a big buddy for years and used it multiple times for backup indoors, with zero problems.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Easy. Never use medium. Catalytic panels need to be at full temp to burn efficiently.
View Quote

its louder when lower temp also, full bore is the quietest and gives the most heat.

I have 2, one regular buddy heater for my deer blind and a big buddy I have at home for my garage or take ice fishing.

I only use a normal 20lb tank, its a little cumbersome ice fishing, but it doesnt freeze up like the little bottles, and it costs 10-12$ to refill a 20lb tank, and those 1 lb tanks are like 5-6$ or more now, fuck that
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I have one that I use with the adapter hose to hook up  to the 20 lb propane tank. There’s a place here that refills the 20lb tanks for $15 on Fridays.

I also have a tank top type heater that someone else posted a picture of.

I think the tank top heater puts out more heat, I guess that can be a good thing or a bad thing, more heat means it will go through propane quicker.

The Big Buddy heater had a low oxygen sensor.

If you’re running any of them for hours you probably want a little bit of outside air exchange.

Some people are more sensitive to fumes and what not, but I have never had any problems.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Easy. Never use medium. Catalytic panels need to be at full temp to burn efficiently.
View Quote

Then that should really be "don't use low".  Low is one element at half(ish) output, medium is one element at full blast, high is both elements at full blast.

They do seem to burn cleaner and put out proportionally more heat at the higher settings.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A lot of Karens "suffer" from multiple chemical sensitivity and firbra myalgia too.

I've had a big buddy for years and used it multiple times for backup indoors, with zero problems.
View Quote

It can protect you from cold, but not snowflakes.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Spent many nights in a tent with no problem. Use it in my home shop if temp gets down below 40.
If something happened to mine, I would buy another one today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I just used mine during the last cold snap. Furnace blower motor went out and my HVAC guy couldn't get to me for about 24hrs. Placed it in the middle of the house on the first floor. Kept the house liveable (high 50s) and supplemented with a few electric space heaters.

I have one of the OG units with the blower option. On high it produces 20,000 BTUs.

Been using it for years at deer camp too. Get the hose with regulator so it can be attached to 20lb+ tanks.
View Quote

This.  We use them camping in the winter when hunting.  The 1lb bottles won't last the night on high or med and they are expensive.  I would recommend a filter on the line as well.  I had mine quit one night.  Found thick oil in the hard lines inside later and had to clean it all out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any heater that is burning any kind of gas inside is going to dump a lot of humidity into the room.  This might not be a problem in a dry environment, but in a place like Houston, water will be dripping off the inside of your windows and any other surface that might be cold.  This could cause water damage.

I would only use them as a backup heat source unless you are in the desert. As far as the complaints you read about, I imagine most of them are user error.
View Quote

I get the same issues running a Mr Buddy heater in my tent.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I've got one of these going. 18,000 btu on high, there's a 15# tank inside there. I keep that door cracked along with a window in the back for a little ventilation. And a couple fans going to keep the air moving.

Its been running on medium for a couple hours, there's a little smell. Not enough to bother me or the critters.  

As long as I don't run it full blast much it's barely noticeable. Never got a headache or anything.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The one pound bottles really aren’t economical. Wally World usually has them for around $9 a pair.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I have one, and have never had any issues with it.  I hook mine up to a 5 gallon propane tank instead of the small cylinders. My climate is dry enough that the extra humidity isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:59:10 AM EDT
[#34]
No issues with mine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy the refillable ones. Around $16 last time I looked)  Ignore the single use, they've gotten way to expensive. If you add them up, you are paying around $35 for a gallon of propane.

As for the reviews, keep in mind a goodly portion of the population thinks Star Trek is real.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Some people are overly sensitive to fumes and/or are just whiny bitches about everything.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Used one for going on a decade now for heat at my cabin/hunting/camping place.

Get the Mr Heater hoses so you don't have to fuck around with inline filters on the 20lb tanks.  One comes with a regulator and hooks to a quick release for low pressure in the hose.  One screws onto the built-in regulators for the 1lb bottles and reverse threads into the 20lb tank so the hose is high-pressure.  This is the one you have to make sure is not just standard rubber hose or it will leach gummy stuff into the gas and kill it.  

It has an odor when operating and some people are bothered by it more than others.  Don't run it indoors if your home is sealed up like an aquarium.  Safe operation requires some air exchange to be taking place.  Most places are leaky enough on their own but I'll usually crack a window.  Get the big buddy.  Pumps out a lot of heat.  When my furnace died in late October we heated the house at night with it.  Upstairs it would keep two rooms and the hallway very comfortable.

Never seen the heater leak.  I have seen 1lb bottles that get taken on and off a lot start to leak.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Never had a problem with mine and I don't think there is a safer propane heater on the market.   Just make sure the connections are tight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#40]
In my experience propane tank exchanges are rife with bad seals.  When you find a good tank, refill it, don't exchange it.

I've also noticed any fumes (curing stain/paint, etc) will really make the propane/NG burners smell.

I think there's the occasional QC issue out there as well.  I borrowed a forced-air propane heater (not Mr. Heater brand) recently and it would burn my eyes like crazy.  I looked at reviews and most are glowing.  Buy it somewhere with a good return policy.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I own a Mr. Heater 30,000 btu, propane, vent free, indoor rated unit that I use in my uninsulated garage in winter. No smell, no fumes at all running off a 20lb. tank. It has a built in low oxygen sensor that I know for a fact works. I'm at 7600' altitude so at times, I need to crack a door as the ambient O2 at that altitude is already lower than the 5000' altitude limit it was designed for.  If the O2 in garage dips, the unit shuts off.  This only happens when it's been running awhile.  Nevertheless, it works very well even down to 0F outside.

I also have a carbon Monoxide sensor plugged in to nearby outlet that has never chirped.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cost.  Likelihood of use.  We may never use the Buddy Heater I bought after the last big freeze that our power didn't go out in.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Buy the refillable ones. Around $16 last time I looked)  Ignore the single use, they've gotten way to expensive. If you add them up, you are paying around $35 for a gallon of propane.

As for the reviews, keep in mind a goodly portion of the population thinks Star Trek is real.
View Quote

You can refill the single use ones pretty easily as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for all the help, everyone! If I buy a Big Buddy and the below linked Mr. Heater 12 ft hose that allows me to connect a 20lb propane tank, is that all I need? Or do I need to buy a filter too? Do I need an adapter to use the 12ft hose with the Big Buddy? Also wondering if this particular hose will have the problem where oil leeches from the rubber??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UC7966/?coliid=I1BYAI7Z46N1ZE&colid=1B7LT83WKWSPS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I use one every morning in my garage gym. No issues though I do sometimes catch a slight smell of propane. It so minor I don't think twice about it. I do have a hose and adapter to run a 20lb bottle under the garage door but haven't felt the need to use it.

I actually want to get another one as a backup. Thanks for the reminder.
View Quote
Same. Works fine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get the adapter to a 20lb.   Also get one of the fittings that let you refill 1lbs.   Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Half of the reviews you read were from people of below average intelligence…

I’ve never had an issue
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help, everyone! If I buy a Big Buddy and the below linked Mr. Heater 12 ft hose that allows me to connect a 20lb propane tank, is that all I need? Or do I need to buy a filter too? Do I need an adapter to use the 12ft hose with the Big Buddy? Also wondering if this particular hose will have the problem where oil leeches from the rubber??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UC7966/?coliid=I1BYAI7Z46N1ZE&colid=1B7LT83WKWSPS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

View Quote

Yeah that is fine, you can find them a little cheaper without the quick connect adapter. If I remember correctly, they recommend a filter if the hose is NOT mr. heater brand, i have been running them without a filter for years
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#49]
First of all, dont waste your time with the little bottles, the kit that allows you to run them off a 20lb propane tank is not that expensive... I use them in my deer blinds, windows shut with very little ventilation, and I dont get head aches, or smell propane hardly at all... There will be a faint hint of it when you first start it, but once its running you wont notice it.. Also if you use the hose kit, buy the cheap little fuel filter for it as well..
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This heater is a plan C backup incase other backup measures happened to fail. The Big Buddy might get used once every 10 years. Basically if the huge neighborhood propane tank fails for an extended period, then I would need the Big Buddy. The neighborhood tank feeds 70 homes and almost ran out of propane during the 2021 artic apocalypse. Everyone was urged to lower heat to 65F. That saved us I think.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top