Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2023 8:36:49 AM EDT
shades of Solyndra!
now the chicoms can double down on their coal fired power plants!

Link

Direct air capture plants proposed by Occidental and Climeworks to fight climate change are said to be the front runners for a large pot of US funding.  

Attachment Attached File

By Ari Natter and Brian Kahn
August 10, 2023 at 3:00 PM UTC

The Biden administration is throwing its weight behind technology that sucks planet-warming carbon dioxide out of the air, and is poised to announce as soon as Friday the first winners of a $3.5 billion fund dedicated to developing the machines scientists say will be needed to stop the worst effects of climate change.

Projects proposed by Occidental Petroleum Corp. in Texas and Swiss start-up Climeworks AG in Louisiana are front runners for the first tranche of funding, some $1.2 billion, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Energy Department and Climeworks declined to comment. Occidental didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Direct air capture (DAC) involves using machines to pull CO2 out of the ambient air and store it using a variety of techniques. The industry is young and still maturing. Climeworks operates the largest DAC plant in the world in Iceland, which is able to capture 4,000 tons of CO2 annually. That’s equivalent to a few seconds of humanity’s carbon emissions.

The company is currently building a plant that it says will be capable of capturing 36,000 tons of CO2 each year, and other startups are looking to build plants capable of grabbing thousands of tons of the greenhouse gas from the air. Even with these efforts, DAC remains costly and requires a large amount of energy.

Read More: Carbon Capture: The Vacuum the Climate May Depend On
The world will need DAC as well as other forms of carbon dioxide removal to scale up rapidly in the coming decades. Nearly every scenario to limit global warming to 1.5C, a target set under the Paris Agreement, will require removing billions of tons of carbon from the atmosphere each year by mid-century, climate scientists say.

A good milepost to gauge whether that’s achievable will be if the industry can capture 1 million tons of CO2 a year by 2030. The market for those services could reach $1 trillion before the end of the 2030s, according to BloombergNEF research, if the world prioritizes high-quality carbon removal over offsets.

About 18 direct air capture projects are operating around the world, but the ones being announced by the Energy Department will become the first commercial-scale deployment in the US, said Sasha Stashwick, director of policy for Carbon180, an organization focused on carbon removal policy. The overall funding represents a 400-factor increase in DAC capacity, she said.

“This is a really big deal in the world of carbon removal,” Stashwick said. “This is going to be the largest deployment of carbon removal ever.”
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
He means trees, right?

Right?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Climate change = wealth redistribution
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Translation:

People who have been buying Hunter Biden's paintings and similar activities connected to Biden, Pelosi, and a number of other politicians and players in DC are going to get big piles of government money for companies that will go tits up in a few years after burning through billions stolen from taxpayers.

Anyone remember Solyndra?

Massively profitable scam.

And Obama is worth something like 100 million now. So he got P-A-I-D, motherfucker.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw a little article about a company the other day, that was touting a massive pile of fedgov funding, making revolutionary carbon sucking machines.................  That looked exactly like fucking trees.....  The tall leafy things these nutjobs keep cutting down to build turbines.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Trees do this. I own 40 acres of trees. Do I need to open the green happy carbon scrubbing factory ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#6]
what will the plants and trees survive on
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Mother Nature beat you to the punch Xiden

They are called trees
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Why don’t we just water the Tree of Liberty instead?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
The climate crisis is such a sham
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Reminds me of a local power plant executive discussing business and politics (new laws). They were being fined for not having installed new equipment that hasn't been invented yet.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ve worked on this. Rough estimate is that for every ton of CO2 removed from the air, another 3 tons of CO2 will be generated, and have to be abated separately.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I think one of the plants in Texas are going to be built about 10 miles down the road from me.  I got a flyer in the mail about a town hall meeting going on about it.  I didn't go, but now wish I would have.  
What are they doing with all the carbon they are removing from the atmosphere?  Are they going to bury it?  Use it to make batteries?  What?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Translation:

People who have been buying Hunter Biden's paintings and similar activities connected to Biden, Pelosi, and a number of other politicians and players in DC are going to get big piles of government money for companies that will go tits up in a few years after burning through billions stolen from taxpayers.

Anyone remember Solyndra?

Massively profitable scam.

And Obama is worth something like 100 million now. So he got P-A-I-D, motherfucker.
View Quote

I used to drive by Solyndra every day on my way to work
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish I I was smart enough to come up with some multi billion dollar save the world climate scam.

Fuck it, if ya can’t beat em join em.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#15]
It's no big deal. We hand over that amount to the Ukraine pretty much every week.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Solyndra.

Version 2.

Pay all the executives, pay out all the money as bonuses, and never make anything.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I seriously doubt any technology can suck in carbon wayyyy up in the atmosphere that's been floating around due to events like wildfires and volcanic eruptions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He means trees, right?

Right?

Kharn
View Quote

I don’t think photosynthesis is an accepted scientific principle by the left anymore
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Climate change = wealth redistribution
View Quote

Always has been since Maurice strong conjured it up
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Grasslands/Savannahs do this better than trees...
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#21]
So now we will kill all the trees. Great fucking plan.  Where the fuck do these nuts come from and who put them in charge?  Climate crazies are on par with the NAZIs at this point, a bunch of sick mad scientists.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#22]
From 2021:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-musk-carbon-capture/elon-musk-to-offer-100-million-prize-for-best-carbon-capture-tech-idUSKBN29R024

(Reuters) - Tesla Inc chief and billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk on Thursday took to Twitter to promise a $100 million prize for development of the “best” technology to capture carbon dioxide emissions.

“Am donating $100M towards a prize for best carbon capture technology,” Musk wrote in a tweet, followed by a second tweet that promised “Details next week.”

Some winners:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8779263/bc-company-wins-elon-musk-funded-award-carbon-capture/

Three Canadian companies with carbon capture technologies have won $1 million each from entrepreneur Elon Musk‘s foundation.

The University of British Columbia says in a news release that its spinoff company Carbin Minerals has been awarded a so-called XPrize for technology that removes carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Carbin Minerals co-founder Bethany Ladd says they’ve developed research to speed up the regular process of rocks absorbing greenhouse gas from thousands of years to weeks or even days.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/carbon-removal-x-prize-finalists

This ambitious, clear vision made Project Hajar one of 15 winners of a milestone US $1 million award announced by the ongoing XPrize Carbon Removal competition in late April. Funded by Elon Musk, this XPrize has the largest purse yet, $100 million, for methods to pull CO2 from air and lock it away. The 15 teams, selected from over 1,100, had to demonstrate a viable approach along with scale-up plans and cost estimates.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#23]
This is going to end up doing more harm than good for some reason I don't know about lol.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I can do the same for thousands, or at the most millions

P-LB-P-U 2014 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Maybe they can work on desalinating the ocean to make it potable as well. Too damn salty!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#27]
good God..
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#28]
After that we can finally talk about getting the electrolyte plant online.

Brawndo, it’s got what plants crave!
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#29]
The company is currently building a plant that it says will be capable of capturing 36,000 tons of CO2 each yea
View Quote

And acre of forest takes in about 2.5 tons per year of CO2, or about 0.7 tons of carbon.  That's about 51,000 acres to equal one of those plants.  Just here in VA, my company manages about 350,000 acres of forest.  Nationally, we're (just our company)  up to about 5.5 million acres.

We have about 755 million acres of forest in the US, equal to about 14,800 of those plants the company is currently building.

Now, where do you store that carbon?  Hole in the ground?  Diamonds?  Rocketships to the Sun?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Is he going to get more or less in kickbacks than he currently gets from UA?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#31]
with this one neat trick (PLANT TREES) he could do the same thing for 100 years for pennies on the dollar... but everyone with a brain knows the climate agenda is a racket and biden needs his 10% like God himself.

This despot in cheif is a monetary blackhole
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Solyndra  2.0 ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, prepare now to live in Central America I guess?

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
He means trees, right?

Right?

Kharn
View Quote

FPNI

They're called trees, you geriatric vegetable.  Trees.  JFC.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#35]
My father in law works at a refinery that does exactly this.

PraxAir

That said, what’s being proposed is absolutely 100% a Solyndra type scam to put $$ into the pockets of his Democrat donors.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Set to give billions to donors who will return a fraction of that money to the political industry.

Purpose is to increase the Power, Control and Money of those high up in politics.

A side profit method is below:

This added deficit spending, like all deficit spending, will further push retires downward into poverty and poverty is a huge money maker for those who are politically connected.

Multi billionaires and multi millionaires approve, it's additional PCM for them, power and control and money.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Biden can suck a greasy fart out of my ass
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#38]
FUCK joe biden
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#39]
As long as they kick 10% back to the big guy right?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#40]
lmao

can't we just plant more fucking bamboo?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#41]
More money for shitty big businesses and crony capitalism.....yay.  Fuck Biden and fuck all the republicans who also support these grifts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And acre of forest takes in about 2.5 tons per year of CO2, or about 0.7 tons of carbon.  That's about 51,000 acres to equal one of those plants.  Just here in VA, my company manages about 350,000 acres of forest.  Nationally, we're (just our company)  up to about 5.5 million acres.

We have about 755 million acres of forest in the US, equal to about 14,800 of those plants the company is currently building.

Now, where do you store that carbon?  Hole in the ground?  Diamonds?  Rocketships to the Sun?
View Quote

And I was worried these facilities could move the needle enough to make life harder for trees. I’m glad it’s just the usual government graft to be upset about.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#43]
I’d rather that money go towards building thousands of disc golf courses all over the country. Trees suck carbon dioxide out of the air, and they’re solar powered too. As a bonus, Americans would get more exercise.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’ve worked on this. Rough estimate is that for every ton of CO2 removed from the air, another 3 tons of CO2 will be generated, and have to be abated separately.
View Quote

Ah, so its EV 2: Worse For The Environment Boogaloo...
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Ice age here we come!

I've always said these cultists would plunge us into an ice age trying to address their fake religious zealously over climate disaster.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#46]
So, my woods capture a few hundred tons per year. Where's my check?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#47]

From a thermodynamics perspective, that makes absolutely no sense.

It’s way less costly to not generate it in the first place.

Not that the whole thing isn’t just a giant scam anyway…

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#48]
I'll plant trees for 3/4 billion
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He means trees, right?

Right?

Kharn
View Quote

Close ..its the food trees eat.
The Science is settled you see.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Crisis 1971: Global Cooling, we are all going to die unless you surrender your civil rights and money to the Democrat Party.

Crisis 1974: The Earth is being paved over, same solution as above.

Crisis 1976: The rain forest is disappearing, same solution.

Crisis 1984: The world is running out of oil, same solution.

Crisis 1995: Global Warming, same solution.

Crisis 2010: Climate Change, same solution.

Crisis 2016: Trump, same solution.

Crisis 2020: COVID tool release, same solution.

Crisis 2021: Biden, re-elected president kept out of office, puppet installed, US Government overthrown, same solution.

Crisis 2023: Trump, same solution.

Crisis 2024: Probable release of more COVID tool or similar tool, same solution.

Crisis 2025: Private ownership of anything must end, same solution.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top