Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2023 8:44:56 PM EDT
I have really learned a lot watching Chef Jean Pierre videos . He doesn’t cover baking bread though . Is there a website on baking bread that goes into the details of how and when to do what similiar to Chef Pierre ? Just curious , thanks in advance for any recommendations . I love fresh baked bread and rolls .
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with Chef Pierre, however for some basic to esoteric recipes this is good site Breadtopia
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I start any baking related search with King Arthur Flour.  Their recipes have weight measurements and the reviews and Q&A are generally helpful.  The articles are generally good.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com//
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
It's about feel and you wont get that from a video. Find a good basic white bread recipe and make it 10-15 times. Learn what gluten development feels like as it is happening. Learn what correct hydration feels like, and how the dough goes from sticky and wet to stretchy, smooth and much less sticky as the gluten develops. Standardize your methods of measurement. For example, I measure 1 Cup of flour at 135g. Scoop 3 measured cups of flour out of the bin and you'll get 3 different weights depending on how you scooped it and how much it compacted. This is why measuring your dry by weight is important, plus it scales easily.

Most of all understand making bread is easy, but making good bread takes practice so dont get frustrated. Good luck! If you'd like, I have a great white bread recipe that I use for everything from loaves to dinner rolls to sticky buns.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MainePure:
It's about feel and you wont get that from a video. Find a good basic white bread recipe and make it 10-15 times. Learn what gluten development feels like as it is happening. Learn what correct hydration feels like, and how the dough goes from sticky and wet to stretchy, smooth and much less sticky as the gluten develops. Standardize your methods of measurement. For example, I measure 1 Cup of flour at 135g. Scoop 3 measured cups of flour out of the bin and you'll get 3 different weights depending on how you scooped it and how much it compacted. This is why measuring your dry by weight is important, plus it scales easily.

Most of all understand making bread is easy, but making good bread takes practice so dont get frustrated. Good luck! If you'd like, I have a great white bread recipe that I use for everything from loaves to dinner rolls to sticky buns.
View Quote

Even if OP doesnt want it, id gladly take it.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By darkpaladin1:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By darkpaladin1:
Originally Posted By MainePure:

yes ! im me if you get a chance , or post it here . im sure there are more beginners on here .
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 12:40:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#7]
I learned a lot on the fresh loaf forums.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:25:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MainePure] [#8]
Here you go guys. If you have any questions let me know. I bulk everything in my mixer bowl vs doing it by hand, but it is a good instructional recipe to learn the feel of gluten development as it is happening. Delicious bread too.
Edit- The way chef wrote the procedure can be confusing. You want to use 2 cups flour in the initial mix, and reserve the "approximately 2 more cups flour" for the 1.5 cup addition in step 3. Rest is for bench flour. Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top