Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2018 5:52:19 PM EDT
Need a new nail trimmer for a couple of large dogs, want a pair that will cut without splintering their nails.

Any groomers or those in the know with suggestions are really appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Dremel tool with sanding drum. We do our three Akitas this way. It's worth the training time to get them to accept it. You can get the nails shorter and if you accidentally touch the quick it's a lot less traumatic, believe it or not. And the since you can shape the nails you don't get sharp edges like you do with a standard clipper. It does take a little longer than just banging away with a clipper, though.

Even with the Dremel we trim on a towel with a tub of styptic powder at the ready, just in case we get a little bleed.

We don't use the so-called "submission hold". We just put our dogs in a down, and roll their hips over when doing the back nails. But this is otherwise a really great video.

How to Dremel a dog's nails
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I second the recommendation for a Dremel with a sanding drum. It’s all i’ll use on my own dogs, and it’s really, really easy.

Spent several years as a groomer and I show my dogs in conformation. Most people who show their dogs also use a Dremel.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It may be worth adding that we are going through the training process right now with my 8 month old female Akita. She ran from the Dremel first time she heard it, but didn't mind the clippers at all. But we wanted to use the Dremel. So the first couple of times we just let her hang out with the two big Akitas while they got their nails done and that cured the sound problem. And of course we'd show it to her and let her inspect it when it was off. The third time around we were able to just "tick" it off of her nails, then used the clipper. The fourth time we held a large Greenie in front of her and let her nibble that down while we got it done. The fifth time was harder because she figured out what we were trying to accomplish. Still using a lot of treats with her. By a year old she should be as good as the big dogs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
a Dremel? THANKS! Good tip.

my Beagle pack hates their nails getting trimmed (they tell me it's much better "purchase" with the long nails going after rabbit, squirrel or coon.)

Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies, never thought of using my Dremel, it can't be any more trouble/trauma than using clippers.

I also like the fact it will leave a clean nail rather than fraying or splintering like regular trimmers can.

I've learned that by folding the dog's paw back and looking at it from the bottom, it's pretty easy to see where the quick is.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The Dremel lets me get nails like this. No clipper does this well.

Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Dremel.  Hands down.  Been using it on my Shiba Inu since he was a pup.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top