Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/8/2024 9:29:35 PM EDT
46.  Known him since we were in second grade together.  

I know some of y'all are on that same train and I so wish you'd get off.  You can't know the pain your leaving will cause.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for your loss.  Some people can't admit a problem even when it is too late.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for your loss. It's claimed a few people I've been close to over the years.

I enjoy an occasional glass of bourbon or heavy craft beer. Can't even do that now without driving my glucose levels through the roof, so abstinence it is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear of your loss OP.

Alcohol is a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Any idea how much he was drinking per day?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:34:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ty_Webb] [#5]
OP, how much booze are we talking?

ETA: Best by seconds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By skippycoop:

Some people can't admit a problem even when it is too late.
View Quote

What we found after his passing indicates he knew full well that he was fucked if he kept drinking and did it anyway.  At some point I'll quit being angry about that maybe.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for your loss brother.

I have heard of at least two other people, friends of friends, that passed in the last few week from liver issues (drinking related).  Young folk in their early 40's.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear that. I'll afraid that could happen to my youngest brother, he's pretty hardcore alcoholic.

He just got a second DUI and his blood alcohol content was .395

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FourLoko] [#9]
drunk now, but I'll be ready for work at 0800 hrs

I quit for 2 years once

Like the dip/tobacco threads. They've gone for decades. I have yet to have a decade total (getting close) and look at it like an amateur level

I'll quit again eventually
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:
Any idea how much he was drinking per day?
View Quote

At least a 750 of whiskey or vodka or rum or whatever.  Probably more.  But he was a fucking viking, and even when we were teenagers it took a tremendous amount to get him rocked.  He was always a bottomless pit.

And if you're interested because you're worried, it's already time to cut back.  A lot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, OP. That sucks. Horrible way to go.

My best friend killed himself the fast way.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I lost my best friend almost three years ago to it. He left behind a wife, three young kids and a shit ton of pain for a lot of people. He was whiskey/ vodka, wine, beer and pills everyday and hid it pretty well. He and I had just started the business we always wanted to have about a year prior, what a clusterfuck that was.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry brother. I’ve lost a brother and several friends to alcohol
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
What we found after his passing indicates he knew full well that he was fucked if he kept drinking and did it anyway.  At some point I'll quit being angry about that maybe.
View Quote

My mom's doctor told her before she passed away that if she didn't stop drinking she would be dead in six months.  She made it eight.  I found the letter in her files after she passed away.  To say I was angry with her was an understatement.

It does pass... eventually.  It's also normal to be angry.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a long time friend drink himself to death. He had sought help from time to time but always relapsed.

One day he he felt very bad and checked himself into the hospital.  3days later he was dead. His organs began just shutting down. He was 54.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a long time friend drink himself to death. He had sought help from time to time but always relapsed.

One day he he felt very bad and checked himself into the hospital.  3days later he was dead. His organs began just shutting down. He was 54.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:47:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#18]
An old friend back to college did this. He put the bottle to his head and pulled the trigger back during the coof

He was a successful,  self employed cameraman and did a lot of contract work for ESPN. people quit going to sports stadiums during covid, and his business went straight into the toilet

He started drinking at breakfast and by noon he would be worthless.  He got sick, his organs started to domino one by one, and he died a couple of weeks later

Miss you, Mark, you fucking Irishman
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I have known friends who died by ODs, and from suicide.  It used to eat me up thinking maybe I could have saved them.  I cannot count the number of hours I spent on that wrong-headed idea.

I have stopped beating myself up and accepted that they were broken beyond my ability to help.

OP, don't go down that road.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]

I know some of y'all are on that same train and I so wish you'd get off.  You can't know the pain your leaving will cause.
View Quote

Sorry for your loss.............my sister in law was headed for the same end until my wife and I decided enough was enough. Her parents didn't have the strength to confront her. She told us one night in a drunken phase that she felt like hurting herself, so we went and got her and had her committed and made her go to rehab............she is almost 2 years sober now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By FourLoko:

I quit for 2 years once

Like the dip/tobacco threads. They've gone for decades. I have yet to have a decade total (getting close) and look at it like an amateur level

View Quote

The problem is the hooks get deeper the longer you go.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry for your loss.

A friend/coworker drank himself to death after his wife left him, after he abandoned his job, after going into hiding from friends and family. The alcohol ruled his life for decades. He had remained highly functional up until his last 2 years. The alcohol finally destroyed his body. A former coworker that spoke with him on occasion called in a welfare check to the police.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I watched my best friend’s brother die under his care from end stage liver failure due to drinking-he was so bad at the end that he was drinking a gallon of vodka a day and had to be put in a coma to detox. He was given a month to live in hospice, lasted longer than that and ran out of insurance money so he moved into my friend’s house. He eventually turned green and swelled up like a balloon, begging to die.

It was a horrible thing for my friend’s kids to see, but maybe useful too. All I know is that it was a very Inglorious end to a very good man and I wish I had a way to share what my friend went thru with the alcoholics I know.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:00:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#26]
Sorry for your loss OP.

That is around the age where I quit, I saw the writing on the wall. I’m sorry he couldn’t find a way out, I’ve been there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Wife’s brother is doing this. He has liver issues too far gone to correct them by quitting the booze. Only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Same thing happened to one of my best friends, best man at my wedding.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#30]
My condolences.

I've got a friend from high school that has destroyed his life with alcohol.  He's still alive but has been a homeless bum in Socal for years now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry to hear it . My older brother did it too, it'll be 10 years this summer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#32]
So sorry for your loss OP. If there’s any consolation, he’s not fighting demons in a personal hell anymore.

For those still fighting, there’s still hope.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By fas2c:

View Quote

I feel like that will be my one buddy's story. He's been messed up a long time, already been in the hospital with pancreatitis from drinking. I'll be surprised if he reaches 40.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#34]
That's sucks OP, sorry to hear that.

This hits home to me as I feel like I've been drinking too much in the last 5 years and I'm 45 now.

In the last month I've really cut down. Before I'd drink almost every day but now it's only a few times a week.

It's so easy to fall down the trap of alcohol. It starts out as a social thing when younger but as you get older it can just slowly take over your life.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Scrote:
Sorry to hear of your loss OP.

Alcohol is a hell of a drug.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m sorry for your loss, OP

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Im_Awake] [#37]
My best friend was an alcoholic for decades. Started drinking first thing in the morning and he'd pass out every evening with a bottle in his hand.

It cost him his family and 2 very good jobs. His ex wife was a good woman that loved her man, but hated his drinking. She made the choice. We never blamed her.

Thankfully once he hit rock bottom a few times, he smartened up and got help. It was rough for a while. He turned himself around and hasn't had a drink in 9 years. Just got his newest AA token a few months ago. I'm proud of him.

Change is possible

I'm sorry for your loss, OP
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry for your loss. Alcohol can be a fucked up way to go.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

All I know is that it was a very Inglorious end to a very good man and I wish I had a way to share what my friend went thru with the alcoholics I know.
View Quote

Yes.  Sir.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Same thing happened to one of my best friends, best man at my wedding.
View Quote

He was my best man. Still is.  Dumbass that he was, none will replace him.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Lost my father to cigarettes and alcohol.  Smoked and drank since he was 16 years old.  

I had a kid and he had a heart scare.  Decided he wanted to be around for her growing up.  He stopped both.  One day he just said he was done and for 6 months he didn't touch a cig or a beer.  Started walking and was losing the beer gut.

Then he had a heart attack and died at 51 years old.  He tortured his body for too long.  All that work to try and clean up...just to end up dead early anyway.  

He knew damn well he was killing himself.  Maybe not when he was 16...but for sure when he was 30-50.  He always told me never to start that shit.  "Addiction is a real bitch, Boy.  If you never start, you'll never have to stop."

God damn, that was hard to write.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:34:04 PM EDT
[#42]
1st wife died in 2001 from her alcoholism.  She had serious issues from childhood from sexual abuse from her 2 older brothers.  She would get better for a bit, but one of them would call and say shit to her that would start her drinking binges again.
After a while, it finally got the best of her and she drank herself to death. Her BAC at her death was .284
I didn't think a 5'7" 120lb girl could drink that much.

After selling that house and getting ready to move, I found JD and vodka bottles hidden in the weirdest places.

I still think of her everyday.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:40:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#44]
I know 2 people IRL who died from drinking in the last year (both high power high success executive level guys on top of the world).  Plus this is about the 3rd post at least, in that same time frame.

Jesus.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
If it was easy to stop you wouldn't have people dying from it. I get it, you're hurt and raw because it's so fresh. I pray your friend escaped the demons that drove him to this. I pray that you find peace instead of bitterness. Prayers for peace and strength to all he left behind.
View Quote

Yea it's pretty fucking fresh, and I'm real, real fuckin raw.  You're right though, addiction isn't easy, and neither is fixing a broken mind.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Understand the pain.  Lost someone I called a brother back in 2011, his liver shut down.  He was 39     Then another long time friend last fall @ 45.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
I know 2 people IRL who died from drinking in the last year (both high power high success executive level guys on top of the world).  Plus this is about the 3rd post at least, in that same time frame.

Jesus.
View Quote

Yay lockdowns.

And I'll be honest, the boy drank kinda hard before that, but it really was the lockdowns and the fucking insanity of his liberal city and friends that kept him scared inside alone, and really turned this from a small brushfire to a raging inferno that consumed it all.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#48]

I quit for 2 years once

View Quote

It’s not us you have to convince, it’s yourself. Good luck man.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

My mom's doctor told her before she passed away that if she didn't stop drinking she would be dead in six months.  She made it eight.  I found the letter in her files after she passed away.  To say I was angry with her was an understatement.

It does pass... eventually.  It's also normal to be angry.
View Quote

This. I lost my dad to addiction. It’ll hurt every day for a long time, and then one day, it’ll hurt just a little less. And anger is okay too, just don’t let it consume you.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By wesr228:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wesr228:

I quit for 2 years once

I just hit back a page on that one, my reply wasn't quite coming out right and may have earned a warning.  This is basically what I meant though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top