Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 5:47:21 PM EDT
What is the best air gun for framing money can buy, that you can still get bullets for at lowes or menards?  3 inch cap for framing sheds in a hurry?

Sick of driving screws.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Your are asking for a pneumatic framing nailer (thats what they are called, not air guns).

They use collated gun nails or strips (thats what they are called, not bullets).

If you want a good framing gun go to a reputable tool seller as the tool lines sold at the big box stores are made exclusively for them , using cheaper parts.

If you don't care, then look at a Metabo nailer, they used to be Hitachi. They take 21 degree angle nail strips. Remember that and buy the correct nails as some of the others, like the Bostic framers, use a different angled nail strip.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a paslode
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a paslode
View Quote

Ya, my trim gun is a paslode.  It's been good, neat trick having the bullets load in under the mag.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Hitiachi (now Metabo) 21* framing nailer.  Been using it the last few weeks to build a shop addition but have also used it in the past for other construction projects.  Fired a lot of nails and no jams or issues.  Worked great.  I recommend them.  I got it at Lowes probably 8-10 years ago.  

Hitachi is now Metabo.  That's what I would buy as long as you want a pneumatic framing nailer.  I don't like using clipped head nails and some places won't allow the use of clipped head nails due to less holding power than full head nails.  

If I was going with a cordless nailer, I'd look at Milwaukee M18.  In my case, I don't use it enough to make it worth it to go cordless so I'll keep using the air nailers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok I can check those too.  Not interested in batt nailer, lots of free air here.  I do use mullwuakee exclusively for batt tools though, the m18 stuff is awesome for me.

Can you get tripple galvanized nails in that Hitachi 21? Maybe that's not the right name for those nails but this is going to be for mostly PT stuff.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok I can check those too.  Not interested in batt nailer, lots of free air here.  I do use mullwuakee exclusively for batt tools though, the m18 stuff is awesome for me.

Can you get tripple galvanized nails in that Hitachi 21? Maybe that's not the right name for those nails but this is going to be for mostly PT stuff.

View Quote

You must be talking about hot dipped galvanized framing gun nails (as opposed to electro-galvaized gun nails). The answer is yes.

Also, if you have difficulty locating the type and size of framing gun nail that you want, try local lumber yards. They will have a much larger range of pnuematic gun nails than what the big box stores carry.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
the hitachi 3 1/2 framing nailer is the work truck of pneumatic guns. not the prettiest thing but i have shot alot of nails with a few of them and they are decently priced new and used aswell. I prefer 30 degree paper strips, but 21 degree plastic strip works too. I feel like with the 30 degree mag i can get the gun in a little closer in some framing and the paper strips dont blow plastic chunks into my face. Any hot dipped galvie nails will work aslong as they are the right size and angle, you dont have to buy metabo nails for a metabo gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Milwaukee m18 fuel

Milwaukee® M18 FUEL™ Framing Nailer - 3 NAILS PER SECOND
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Them hitachis are good nail guns

I have a bostitch I am very happy with, ive just always bought bostitch
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
You're doing yourself a huge disservice but not getting a battery nailer.  I can get air anywhere on my property and I'll never use air power again.  Just think of how many spilled beers you'll save from the hose knocking them over.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're doing yourself a huge disservice but not getting a battery nailer.  I can get air anywhere on my property and I'll never use air power again.  Just think of how many spilled beers you'll save from the hose knocking them over.
View Quote

Beer drinking is for when the work is done, not during the work.  I have M18 tools, several air compressors, and lots of air hoses.  I have never needed a cordless nailer.  If the price difference was closer or I was nailing for a living, then certainly I'd consider it.  I can get a Metabo air framing nailer for $160 and a M18 framing nailer for $350 if I don't get any batteries and $450 if I need batteries and a charger.  Pretty steep difference for someone who only uses it occasionally.  The air nailer is a LOT lighter too.  

I'm quite happy with my air nailers and don't intend to get any battery powered nailers any time soon.  I'm sure I'll survive just fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Beer drinking is for when the work is done, not during the work.  I have M18 tools, several air compressors, and lots of air hoses.  I have never needed a cordless nailer.  If the price difference was closer or I was nailing for a living, then certainly I'd consider it.  I can get a Metabo air framing nailer for $160 and a M18 framing nailer for $350 if I don't get any batteries and $450 if I need batteries and a charger.  Pretty steep difference for someone who only uses it occasionally.  The air nailer is a LOT lighter too.  

I'm quite happy with my air nailers and don't intend to get any battery powered nailers any time soon.  I'm sure I'll survive just fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is one of those “depends” situation

Framing nailer I lean towards air, but if you are popping a couple here and there, cordless is very convenient
Roof, siding, air all the time
Trim nailers?  Never going back to air
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#13]
UPDATE

Ok. I bought the metabolism HPT 21 gun.

Happy with it for the most part, but why does it constantly double and even tripple tap??

I'm running 90-110psI I think, have to check.  And I have the depth set to maybe 1/16" below surface on a flat shot.

Also, I got the plastic colated one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
UPDATE

Happy with it for the most part, but why does it constantly double and even tripple tap??

I'm running 90-110psI I think, have to check.  And I have the depth set to maybe 1/16" below surface on a flat shot.

View Quote

Is the recoil bumping it up off the nose piece?  When it comes back down it will refire

Put your offhand on the back of the head when you use it in sequential mode until you get used to the timing of sequential, you need to be quick and consistent, they are very fast if you lift the nose
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
UPDATE

View Quote

There are two settings. On the left side of the tool there is a switch. You can either fire one nail per pull of the trigger or hold the trigger down and every time you press the gun against something it will fire. It’s very easy to double or more fire in the second setting. I usually use it in the first setting for most things.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There are two settings. On the left side of the tool there is a switch. You can either fire one nail per pull of the trigger or hold the trigger down and every time you press the gun against something it will fire. It’s very easy to double or more fire in the second setting. I usually use it in the first setting for most things.
View Quote

Indeed there is that switch. Thanks! Thats what I needed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Make sure the magazine follower is hooked over the back end of the last nail. Almost anytime I have problems it's because the follower is pushing up but not hooked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top