Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2019 12:34:48 PM EDT
I have been using Astra's but they are Gillette blades. Need something other than that nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Microtech...
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using Dorco blades off Amazon for the past couple years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been using Dorco blades off Amazon for the past couple years.
View Quote
That's what I use.

Personna blades treated me OK too.

Feather is popular, but they were rough on my skin.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, Dorco's ordered.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I just upgraded to Dorco 3, but I was using single Dorcos since Gillette decided I can FO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Feather blades
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Feather and Personna blades.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Personnas, Reds, Blues and Labs; and my favorite is the Crystals.

They're extremely inexpensive but last me up to 10 shaves.  I've hoarded 300 or so.  https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/razor-blades/products/crystal-double-edge-razor-blades-100-blades

You can get them on the bay in packs of 120.

Lots of people like Feathers, but, to me, YMMV, they dull very quickly and I nick myself more.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I use Feather and Personna blades.
View Quote
These are what I use.  The Personna Blue are made in the USA if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:14:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I have tried basically everything in this thread until tonight. My FIL was visiting and gave me a 3 pack of Gillette platinum plus blades. Damn it all to hell. It was one of my best shaves.  I need to up my technique with other blades I guess.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:35:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Voskhod and Shark! I've actually lost count of how many shaves I have on this current shark blade, it just keeps on cleanly shaving...
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have tried basically everything in this thread until tonight. My FIL was visiting and gave me a 3 pack of Gillette platinum plus blades. Damn it all to hell. It was one of my best shaves.  I need to up my technique with other blades I guess.
View Quote
I will look like a woolly mammoth before I ever use a gillette product again.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
trust me, I understand the sentiment.  only using these because they were gifted to me.  I won't ever purchase another gilette product, but they already had their money for these.  fwiw, I gave my FIL a sample of about 6-7 types of blades so maybe he can find one he likes better (and cheaper, and NOT Gilette) too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Your Mileage May Vary I have course facial hair and sensitive skin. I shave with either a Wolfman WR1, a Mühle R41 or a Weber polished head.

Most of the Gillette/P&G blades I've tried (all purchased before their toxic masculinity debacle) have been pretty good/really good. (PolSilver Super Iridiums like Feathers are too sharp for me.)

Below are the blades I've tried that are not P&G.

Voskhod / Rapira Platinum Lux work really good for me.

Personna Lab Blues / Rapira Swedish Super Steel work pretty good.

Sputnik / Ladas / Rapira Stainless / Rapira Super Stainless are just meh.*

Feathers are too sharp and not smooth enough. I tend to get cuts and irritation when I use them.

Derby Premium are not good.

Shark Super Stainless / Wilkinson Sword (German) (from Walmart) are horrible.*

*listed best first

Quoted:
Voskhod and Shark! I've actually lost count of how many shaves I have on this current shark blade, it just keeps on cleanly shaving...
View Quote
Just goes to show how true YMMV is. The Voskhod is my personal favorite in my Mühle R41 and among the top in my Weber PH and my Wolfman WR1 but the Shark Super Stainless blades are horrible for me in all of  them. Even when new I can feel the Sharks tug my coarse beard hair and three shaves from them is all I can force myself to do before they get so bad that I have to replace them (like a dummy I bought a hundred pack and have been forcing myself to use one blade a month to use them up). I have given some to a few people I know that shave with a safety razor, along with other blades for them to sample, so they could try them out to see what blades might work for them but of the ones I have asked how they felt about the blades I gave them to try they said that the Sharks were among the worst.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Feather, then Astra or Shark.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been using Astra Superior Platinum, since I bought a 100 count pack a couple of years ago,
now that I'm down to my last few packs, I'm switching over to Voskhod Teflon coated razor blades
they work just as well for me and arn't Gillette.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Wilkinson Sword DE blades are what I use.  They work best for me.  I buy them off Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought Dorco's based off early comments. Finally broke into them Sunday. It felt good. I really like the used blade container as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Using Gillette DE blades is a bigger FU to Gillette IMO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes you say that?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I use strictly Feathers, but that's only because I bought a box of 100 several years ago, and shaving only 2-3 times a week at most, they'll last me ages.

Aside from Feathers, Astra Platinum is a solid choice. That's what I recommend to most people. The price is far better, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Feather....but I warn you now that they are the sharpest blades EVER. If you pull your razor sideways, you won’t even feel it slice you open....shave right!
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I use Harry’s.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I buy a 10 pack of the cheapest double blade disposables at the dollar store. I get at least 3 shaves out of one and they work great. I swear the shit men go through with regard to razors I will never understand.

I guess that kind of talk isn't popular in the shaving forum but there it is. Not trying to be edgy. There, a shaving pun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Dorco Prime Platinums do a pretty good job for me in a Mühle R89 and a Gillette Slim adjustable.  Always on the lookout for something better though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a cheap pack of stainless DE blades from Walgreen’s and they are pretty good. They are unmarked except for ‘Made in Israel’ and directional arrows, and they give a close, smooth shave out of my ‘65 Gillette Slim Adjustable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:45:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I bought a cheap pack of stainless DE blades from Walgreen's and they are pretty good. They are unmarked except for 'Made in Israel' and directional arrows, and they give a close, smooth shave out of my '65 Gillette Slim Adjustable.
View Quote
just guessing but they might be personas.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a cheap pack of stainless DE blades from Walgreen's and they are pretty good. They are unmarked except for 'Made in Israel' and directional arrows, and they give a close, smooth shave out of my '65 Gillette Slim Adjustable.
Probably these...they are my go-to, and I order them in bulk from Amazon, about once a year.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Personna platinum. I used to like Astra but found personna better. Feather was a bit much for me.
(I use a merkur 34c)
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Another vote for Wilkinson.

And better advertising than Gilette:

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Personna. Made in the USA.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Been using the U.S. made Personas lately, but I have a bunch of the Astra Platinums, Feather, and about 400 of the green label Gillettes that I bought in Bahrain years ago.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Dorco Prime Platinum and Shark Platinum (yellow wrapper).
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I just tried the Bic Chrome Platinum and they're my new favorite blade.  I like them more than the Feathers and Astras.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Shark Super Chrome, made in Egypt and Are every bit as good as Astra Super Platinum.

I just ordered 1000 from eBay for $50.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top