Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2023 8:31:59 PM EDT
I am not into a solid routine with my workouts. At 50 years old, I try and spread my focus across a myriad of disciplines - HIIT, cardio, running, strength training and hiking. I use a Garmin Fenix 6 to help track my activities and I always end up low on the anaerobic phase of training. I lift weights 2-3x a week, and generally workout 6 days a week. I don't run as much these days, but I do enjoy it still. What workouts do you all recommend for a good anaerobic load? Should I be looking to lift heavier than normal, if so what % of my 1RM? I've just started trying out some of Jeff Nippard's workouts and his leg day was awesome. Anyways, thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:36:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jb1001] [#1]
Weightlifting is anaerobic, yes?  I don't know if it's the best but that's what I suggest.  I guess it depends on your goals.  All I do is weightlifting and walking.  I don't keep logs or charts anymore, I just try to go hard everytime in the gym.

ETA- 46 y/o here.  Just under 190# probably between 12-13%BF, trying to get to 10%.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Cross country Skiing is the number one anerobic exercise. Rowing is number 2.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dsquared_5:
View Quote

Depends what your fitness goals are
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Easy.

First you snatch and then you clean & jerk.

Repeat if you're feeling squirrelly.

That'll get those fast twitch fibers going.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Tabatas on a stationary cycle. Use Watts or RPM/levels to monitor progress.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

These are aerobic.

lift more weights OP.  Increase the time you're in the gym.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rob78:

These are aerobic.

View Quote

The hell they are! You will build up way more lactic acid than any other exercise. This has been tested. You gotta get through the aerobic first. Do a 2k on an ergometer and keep a reasonable split. You will cry for your mamma after 1,500 meters.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]

The hell they are! You will build up way more lactic acid than any other exercise. This has been tested. You gotta get through the aerobic first. Do a 2k on an ergometer and keep a reasonable split. You will cry for your mamma after 1,500 meters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rob78:

These are aerobic.

Gotcha.

I'm a fan of rowing machines.  Its a great workout.

Not so much the skiing/elliptical machines.  I think you have to wear yoga pants before they let you on.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The older you get the harder it is to recover from injury.

And mixing heavy weights and cardio is a certain injury, it's not if you get injured from it, but when.  HIIT Weights are a young mans game.

Row Machine
Swim
Bike

Non-impact high intensity and easy to recover from to keep the weight sessions on point.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#10]
The bike is very low impact until you fall off of it.

Swimming is another great anaerobic workout.

Rowing is super great on your body if you aren't doing it like a monkey fucking a football. C2 has some great how to videos. However, I also recommend not strapping in your toes. You will quickly self teach technique and work a hair harder per stroke.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:58:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dyezak] [#11]
The bike is very low impact until you fall off of it.

Swimming is another great anaerobic workout.

Rowing is super great on your body if you aren't doing it like a monkey fucking a football. C2 has some great how to videos. However, I also recommend not strapping in your toes. You will quickly self teach technique and work a hair harder per stroke.
View Quote

Facts.

And by its very nature, your anaerobic zone is at the very peak of your heart rate.  I was pushing it on my bike last summer and nearly fainted, which (to your point) would have been VERY impactful .  Simmilarly swimming to that level and passing out would not be impactful, but I dont' think passing out in the water is suggested.

Rowing is probably the safest, but I will stick with swim/bike and just not push it to that level
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Ice hockey.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:

Ice hockey.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR15Texan:

Ice hockey.

Yeah but, every time you play you burn 500 calories, then drink 1000 afterwards
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I have only been a pond hockey goalie. I can imagine that there is an abundance of anaerobic activity in hockey. The motion is similar to CC skiing. Most shifts are 2 minutes and you go back on the bench to rest. I still wouldn't know anything on how organized practices are though.

I remember having to lift an empty 3 inch binder for an hour during PT at the police academy. Not a single one of us was able to hold the tears in. My arms were screaming. Do something enough and you will build up the lactic acid.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I have only been a pond hockey goalie. I can imagine that there is an abundance of anaerobic activity in hockey. The motion is similar to CC skiing. Most shifts are 2 minutes and you go back on the bench to rest. I still wouldn't know anything on how organized practices are though.

I remember having to lift an empty 3 inch binder for an hour during PT at the police academy. Not a single one of us was able to hold the tears in. My arms were screaming. Do something enough and you will build up the lactic acid.
View Quote

Hockey is all out for 30-45 seconds if you're playing higher skill levels.  You're probably sucking wind for your 2-3 minutes on the bench.  Most people think you can get some speed and just glide around, but you actually slow down really quickly if you're not pumping your legs.  The closest replica to skating full speed in a hockey game is the Assault Bike.

If training for hockey or to replicate skating in a game, I do 30-45 seconds on the fan bike as hard as possible, then for the last 10 seconds I pretend like I'm back checking at the end of a shift and I try to catch the imaginary skater.  Then I take a 2 minutes off and pretend again.  It's the only machine that can come close to how it feels.

Playing center, you can't glide around at all in a shift.  Wings can glide around a little bit in the defensive zone.  D men can take much longer shifts because they're not sprinting as much.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#16]
57 here

I have been an aerobic athlete for many years but now gravitate towards weightlifting as my primary. Muscle mass is lost as we age and lifting seems to slow and even reverse that loss.

Lift with reps, not heavy. You can and will hurt yourself.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#17]
For a few bucks, I highly suggest getting the Kindle version of Tactical Barbell II: Conditioning. It's designed to complement a 2-4 day lifting program and is full of great conditioning workouts. Once you get accustomed to how it's laid out, you can also add/remove components to your liking, like replacing KB swings with KB snatches, or inserting sandbag movements instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top