Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/11/2019 8:59:44 PM EDT
Piggybacking on the combat pants thread...

What’s the best tactical boot these days? Not really tactical... I’m looking for hiking, backpacking, rucking, shooting, everyday wear... so yeah basically everything.

Tried Salomon 4D GTX for Black Friday, they were way too narrow. Now I’m shopping for a good boot to put heavy mileage on.

Whatcha got, GD?
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever brand fits your foot the best
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I like rainbow sandals.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my Oboz
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Asolo.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the Keen Targhee and I like them
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Cobra boots.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Danner Rainforest.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#10]
uggz bb
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Oboz are really good for a light duty boot that fits a wider foot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
If you need a wider boot check out keen even the normal width is wider than average
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#13]
UA Valsetz are the most comfortable I’ve ever worn

Longevity isn’t the best but they’re so damn comfortable
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Those would make excellent boogalooshoes
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Piggybacking on the combat pants thread...

What’s the best tactical boot these days? Not really tactical... I’m looking for hiking, backpacking, rucking, shooting, everyday wear... so yeah basically everything.

Tried Salomon 4D GTX for Black Friday, they were way too narrow. Now I’m shopping for a good boot to put heavy mileage on.

Whatcha got, GD?
View Quote
You must have ridiculously wide feet.

I have wide feet and my GTXs have been outstanding. Very comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Targhee III looks like a hell of a boot. Keen makes good stuff in my experience and $149 for a pair ain't bad.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Tactical Research Minimil boots. They’re amazing, feel like slippers, and wear very well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I usually don’t have an issue. I’ve had Timberlands, Bates, Danner, 5.11, Rockies... I was surprised they were so narrow.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tactical Research Minimil boots. They’re amazing, feel like slippers, and wear very well.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/1718CCC8-1F64-4759-9266-57524A4BB469_jpeg-1192274.JPG
View Quote
Looks interesting. Wondering if they come in a less high top version...
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I like my Asolo Fugitives.  I did replace the insoles, as the stock ones have very little cushion.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Keen Targhee II with Superfeet copper insoles.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll play.

I'm not an operator, but I am a 48 year old EMS teacher that stands on a concrete floor ALL day every day, and happens to have a bad ankle needing decent ankle support. You REALLY want zipper sides.

I'm staying around "reasonable" prices and commenting on some boots that I've used in the last couple of years.

Bates Side-zip tactical:

Comfortable.  Breaks in easily.  Zipper is absolute shit.  I broke the pull off of one in less than two weeks. Sole started coming unglued from the sides in less than a year.

I won't buy another pair, but I do use them as "work" boots now.

LA Police Gear Hiking Boot

Cheap. I took a flyer on trying them.  In May, I put 78 miles on them in a week at Disney World.  At the end of the week, the sole separated a bit in the front. I glued it back down with shoe goo.  Never got a blister in DW.

They do not fit like a "glove" but are good for the price and for what they are.  Worth the money, but I will NOT say that I love anything about them.

Cocoran Reproduction Jump Boots:

I got some because I wanted a brown leather boot and one that could be resoled.
The sizes run weird. I had to send two pair back until I got the right size.
Break-in is TERRIBLE.
You will put your soul at risk. You will question whether humanity deserves to be saved.  Your wife will hate you.  You will want to kick puppies, but your feet will hurt too much to do it.

Breaking them in used two garbage bags, 4 bottles of saddle soap, a couple of bottles of mink oil, and 5 gallons of man-tears.

Once broken in, they were comfortable.  Because they are not zipper side, it will take you 10 minutes to lace them on.

After wearing them on concrete floors for a few weeks, you will know what plantar fasciitis is and how to treat it.

Current Boot:

5.11 ATAC 2.0

I discovered that these run about 1/2 size small. I had to send one pair back.

I've been wearing them for a few weeks now.  The first week wasn't bad, but they had to break in. They are VERY comfortable now.

They are my favorite boot to wear now.  I'll be getting a couple more pairs-- one in brown, and another pair for work boots.

Very comfortable, good arch support, excellent ankle support.

I will find out how well the glue holds in a few months.  It seems that ALL glued on sole tactical boots end up having glue issues.  Also, I have learned that tactical boots are not going to last more than 1 1/2 years before they start looking like shit, or falling apart.

For that reason, I am not about to spend too much over $100 on a pair of boots.  Just consider them having a "lifespan" and plan accordingly.

I suspect that I'll keep buying 5.11 ATACs going forward.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Asolo.
View Quote
I’m not tactical, but I’ve always been happy with Asolos. My Fugitve GTX boots are my all-time favorites.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#25]
For everyday use I like Vasque Juxt.

For hiking I'm a fan of the Keen Targhee or Merrell Moabs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Dude. Why even ask.

Beat by Wi-Yeti.

But I like solid colors.

Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Another vote for fugitives.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Targhee III looks like a hell of a boot. Keen makes good stuff in my experience and $149 for a pair ain't bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a great pair of Keen Targhee 2 that lasted 18 months until all the nylon eyelets wore through twice.
I warrantied out a pair of Targhee 3 after 6 months. The pleather where upper meets sole disintegrated.
Keen was great on the warranty replacement.
I'm back to Targhee 2, but this pair is made in a different 3rd world than the first pair, and doesn't seem like they're going to last as long already.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'll play.

I'm not an operator, but I am a 48 year old EMS teacher that stands on a concrete floor ALL day every day, and happens to have a bad ankle needing decent ankle support. You REALLY want zipper sides.

I'm staying around "reasonable" prices and commenting on some boots that I've used in the last couple of years.

Bates Side-zip tactical:

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/academy/10128287?$m-pdp-product-image$

Comfortable.  Breaks in easily.  Zipper is absolute shit.  I broke the pull off of one in less than two weeks. Sole started coming unglued from the sides in less than a year.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-q9ptxvukwz/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2790/87196/lapg-fw-h002m-brown-mid-hiker__88171.1575494708.jpg?c=2

Cheap. I took a flyer on trying them.  In May, I put 78 miles on them in a week at Disney World.  At the end of the week, the sole separated a bit in the front. I glued it back down with shoe goo.  Never got a blister in DW.

They do not fit like a "glove" but are good for the price and for what they are.  Worth the money, but I will NOT say that I love anything about them.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61CPc%2BLIMEL._UY500_.jpg

Break-in is TERRIBLE.
You will put your soul at risk. You will question whether humanity deserves to be saved.  Your wife will hate you.  You will want to kick puppies, but your feet will hurt too much to do it.

Breaking them in used two garbage bags, 4 bottles of saddle soap, a couple of bottles of mink oil, and 5 gallons of man-tears.

Once broken in, they were comfortable.  Because they are not zipper side, it will take you 10 minutes to lace them on.

After wearing them on concrete floors for a few weeks, you will know what plantar fasciitis is and how to treat it.

Current Boot:

5.11 ATAC 2.0

https://static1.galls.com/photos/styles/FT1191_BLK_1500_1.JPG

I've been wearing them for a few weeks now.  The first week wasn't bad, but they had to break in. They are VERY comfortable now.

They are my favorite boot to wear now.  I'll be getting a couple more pairs-- one in brown, and another pair for work boots.

I will find out how well the glue holds in a few months.  It seems that ALL glued on sole tactical boots end up having glue issues.  Also, I have learned that tactical boots are not going to last more than 1 1/2 years before they start looking like shit, or falling apart.

For that reason, I am not about to spend too much over $100 on a pair of boots.  Just consider them having a "lifespan" and plan accordingly.

View Quote
Dear lord that is the ugliest selection of boots I’ve ever seen.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/1718CCC8-1F64-4759-9266-57524A4BB469_jpeg-1192274.JPG
View Quote
I have these, and can confirm. Mine are snug because I bought a size and half small, but I'm stretching the big toe area out a little, then they'll be the bees knees with my heat moldable insoles.

I also have the TR Transition boots, in my size perfect, and a size up and wide. They are in between a regular combat boot and the MiniMils. I will wear out both pairs, and they'll likely be my last .mil boots, except for the steel toe boots and the goretex boots (for the shop and the field, respectively).

The size up and wide pair of Transitions are easily the most comfortable, flexible, non-binding boots I've worn in a long, long time. The only other boots that even come close are 8" 200g Thinsulate Pigskin Durashock Wolverines. If Wolverine made coyote, suede, steel/composite toe, 8"-10", I would be wearing those for boots 100% of the time. I'd have reinforced toe and regular, in coyote, black, and brown, and I'd chuck every other set of boots except the goretex Matterhorns.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Whatever brand fits your foot the best
View Quote
This.

For me it’s Asolo 520 GTX

Although this time I did get some Zamberlains. They’re equivalent.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you need a wider boot check out keen even the normal width is wider than average
View Quote
OTB were awesome for wide feet, but haven't been made in a while.

New Balance are also good and have been surprisingly durable IME.

I just bought a pair of timberland hiking boots in wide.  They are very light considering they are gortex.  They also look good and have been reasonably comfortable for my extra wide feet.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll play.

Bates Side-zip tactical:

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/academy/10128287?$m-pdp-product-image$

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-q9ptxvukwz/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2790/87196/lapg-fw-h002m-brown-mid-hiker__88171.1575494708.jpg?c=2

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61CPc%2BLIMEL._UY500_.jpg

Break-in is TERRIBLE.

Current Boot:

5.11 ATAC 2.0

https://static1.galls.com/photos/styles/FT1191_BLK_1500_1.JPG

Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I've put some miles on my Merrell Moab Vent 2's over the past few years.

Ended up picking up a pair of waterproof ones in a mid-length for inclement weather hiking.

I've been really happy with them for a low $100 pair of hikers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I went through 2 pairs of Keen Targhee 2 boots. The first pair did fine, the second pair turned to crap fast. The lugs on the soles started coming unglued in no time.

I switched to 5.11 Union 6 inch WP dark coyote. Ultra comfortable and built solid.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Danner Acadia

Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I can tell you with utmost certainty that you should not order these at all, ever:

Attachment Attached File

5.11 Skyweight

These boots were awesome for all of one day. They are super light, flexible and breathable, with great traction and support.

Deal-breaker though, was the dumb-as-rocks decision to put a sticky "leather" patch at the back of the heel, for what - I couldn't tell you. All it does is tug at your sock which makes it rub.

This was my heel after 3 days of wearing them:

Attachment Attached File

That's a blister. And I have tough feet. I've broken in wildland firefighter boots the hard way

@#$% those boots. What a dumb ass design.

I'm wearing merril moabs now. Highly recommend.

I also had bad experiences with Lowa. They're awesome boots, but they wear out fast and the sole separates from the boot within a year. Happened with 2 pairs over two years. Not worth $200+ per year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Literally the worst boots I've ever put on. The insoles are garbage, it's just a flat inside bottom surface, the tread isn't, the outside of the boot is bigger than what it should be considering the size, completely lacing together the upper does not tighten anything around the ankle/lower calf, and due to that, I'll never know how the sole, glue, upper, and inside would wear because I never put them on after that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. On my second pair of Keens. I’m a convert. They hold up well, and provide good support.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Rocky's are garbage.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#44]
OPs feet

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can tell you with utmost certainty that you should not order these at all, ever:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/495533/12322_106_1_jpg-1192337.JPG

5.11 Skyweight

These boots were awesome for all of one day. They are super light, flexible and breathable, with great traction and support.

Deal-breaker though, was the dumb-as-rocks decision to put a sticky "leather" patch at the back of the heel, for what - I couldn't tell you. All it does is tug at your sock which makes it rub.

This was my heel after 3 days of wearing them:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/495533/Resized_20190817_205952_3013_jpeg-1192355.JPG

That's a blister. And I have tough feet. I've broken in wildland firefighter boots the hard way

@#$% those boots. What a dumb ass design.

I'm wearing merril moabs now. Highly recommend.

I also had bad experiences with Lowa. They're awesome boots, but they wear out fast and the sole separates from the boot within a year. Happened with 2 pairs over two years. Not worth $200+ per year.
View Quote
1. I've also broken in Whites the hard way. Hello brother.

2. Did you try the Lowas under normal use and not fire use? I ask because I burned through Lowas in month but have a pair for hunting that did pretty good. They don't like heat at all. Or maybe I just got lucky?

I still keep my Roughout lace to Toes as back up boots, at least I know those will be good to go.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I did Danner Acadias for duty wear for years.

Still haven't figured out why they dont put an insole in them. At their price point you would think.

Did some 5.11 boot for all of the 4 months it lasted until it literally fell apart. Like, it fell off my feet.

Tried Thorogood Troopers.  Totally waterproof and side zip. Very very comfortable. Priced very reasonably. Hold up well for their price point and not ridiculous to replace.

Check them out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

1. I've also broken in Whites the hard way. Hello brother.

2. Did you try the Lowas under normal use and not fire use? I ask because I burned through Lowas in month but have a pair for hunting that did pretty good. They don't like heat at all. Or maybe I just got lucky?

I still keep my Roughout lace to Toes as back up boots, at least I know those will be good to go.
View Quote
Hey brother

I only wear my Whites on fires. The Lowas were for day to day. I worked in them at my 9 to 5, hiked in them, etc etc. They just didnt hold up. Props to Lowa though, they warrantied the first pair that delaminated, even though they said the wear was "exceptional". Idk, I'm rough on boots. The only ones that last me are made of straight leather. All the rest fall apart within a year.
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#49]
What makes a boot tactical?
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I just bought a pair of timberland hiking boots in wide.  They are very light considering they are gortex.  They also look good and have been reasonably comfortable for my extra wide feet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which New Balance?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top