Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 6:33:41 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good multivitamin for someone hitting 40?  About 6 years ago I was going to the gym regularly and making great gains while getting a degree for a new career.  for the past 5 years my job has me working shift work and I cant find the energy to get my ass back to working out.  I know my diet is not what it should be and I am working on it but I would like to know if a multivitamin is even worth it.  Anyone have any experience or insight, I would appreciate it.  Thank you
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I still take one often, despite a lot of studies showing they are pretty much worthless.

Old habits die hard I guess.

Ideally (and I haven't done this) you need to get blood work done to see if you are really lacking in anything, then you supplement just what is lacking as needed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get a age appropriate multivitamin.

Most have at least 150% (some up to 500%) of your RDA which are listed on the label, so all your bases are covered.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
I still take one often, despite a lot of studies showing they are pretty much worthless.

Old habits die hard I guess.

Ideally (and I haven't done this) you need to get blood work done to see if you are really lacking in anything, then you supplement just what is lacking as needed.
View Quote

Not to derail the OP, but this really bothers me.

"Vitamin supplements are worthless".  "Vit. C's prophylactic ability is a placebo."  "Lack of D and un-wellness thought to be correlation, not causation."

Along with

"C, D, Zinc all boost immune system and can stave off viral infection."

Really, which is it?  And is it any wonder that no one know who to believe about anything?

Fuck.

(Personally, in the past I've been a big Omega3/fish oil and B-complex user: I found my joints felt better and I had more energy, but I've let that wane a bit.  I am started up again, along with C and D "because corona" and despite that I am not sure if it actually helps anything.)
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:

Not to derail the OP, but this really bothers me.

"Vitamin supplements are worthless".  "Vit. C's prophylactic ability is a placebo."  "Lack of D and un-wellness thought to be correlation, not causation."

Along with

"C, D, Zinc all boost immune system and can stave off viral infection."

Really, which is it?  And is it any wonder that no one know who to believe about anything?

Fuck.

(Personally, in the past I've been a big Omega3/fish oil and B-complex user: I found my joints felt better and I had more energy, but I've let that wane a bit.  I am started up again, along with C and D "because corona" and despite that I am not sure if it actually helps anything.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
I still take one often, despite a lot of studies showing they are pretty much worthless.

Old habits die hard I guess.

Ideally (and I haven't done this) you need to get blood work done to see if you are really lacking in anything, then you supplement just what is lacking as needed.

Not to derail the OP, but this really bothers me.

"Vitamin supplements are worthless".  "Vit. C's prophylactic ability is a placebo."  "Lack of D and un-wellness thought to be correlation, not causation."

Along with

"C, D, Zinc all boost immune system and can stave off viral infection."

Really, which is it?  And is it any wonder that no one know who to believe about anything?

Fuck.

(Personally, in the past I've been a big Omega3/fish oil and B-complex user: I found my joints felt better and I had more energy, but I've let that wane a bit.  I am started up again, along with C and D "because corona" and despite that I am not sure if it actually helps anything.)

I guess with a multivitamin, your body barely utilizes what you are taking in, so if it contains a big percentage of the RDA, but you only absorb 10% of that, you aren't getting much out of it.

It's why a lot of people just suggest supplementing the things you actually need. Say you are super deficient in Vitamin B or something, the amount found in a multivitamin doesn't do much to bring your levels up anyway.

I really need to get a nutrition panel done, as I've been curious about it for some time, and honestly I don't notice much of a difference at all between periods of taking or not taking anything, the only real noticable ones have been Vitamin D affecting my mood in the winter (for the better) and magnesium helping me sleep a lot better.

Then there is the whole toxicity thing. Water soluable vitamins will just get pissed out, but if you overdo it with fat soluble vitamins over a long period of time you can get toxicity (it's rare though).
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I take a Men One a Day from Bayer every day.
It probably doesn't matter but it costs very little either way.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I take a Centrum Men's daily.

There are always those people who are like ViTaMenZ R a WaSTe of MOneYz, but it's cheap insurance for those days I don't eat a perfectly balanced, 100% nutritionist-curated, Tibetan-monk grown organic diet
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not to derail the OP, but this really bothers me.

"Vitamin supplements are worthless".  "Vit. C's prophylactic ability is a placebo."  "Lack of D and un-wellness thought to be correlation, not causation."

Along with

"C, D, Zinc all boost immune system and can stave off viral infection."

Really, which is it?  And is it any wonder that no one know who to believe about anything?

Fuck.

(Personally, in the past I've been a big Omega3/fish oil and B-complex user: I found my joints felt better and I had more energy, but I've let that wane a bit.  I am started up again, along with C and D "because corona" and despite that I am not sure if it actually helps anything.)
View Quote

Yeah I'm in the same boat.  Who knows what to believe.  But the cost isn't worth not looking into it.  Might go with the GNC Mega Man Multivitamin
Top Top