Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2018 4:05:12 PM EDT
When it comes to my vehicles, I do all of the maintenance and service on them….except alignments. I’ve done simple toe adjustments before on vehicles with solid front axles by setting up lines on each side and lots of measuring, but when it comes to vehicles with top and bottom a-arms where you are adjusting toe/camber/caster all at the same time, I just don’t have the equipment to do it right.

I’m at the point where I would like to invest some money in some good equipment that will let me set camber and caster pretty easily. Setting toe is the easy part.

Most of the jigs/tools I’ve seen out there only fit up to an 18” wheel….but my truck has 20” wheels on it, my wife’s Touareg has 19” wheels….so whatever I get, it needs to fit those wheel sizes.

Maybe something like this?

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Some things are just easier to leave to the professionals..... I like doing my own repairs and maintenance as well, but I'd rather not mess with something like an alignment when I can get one down the road with a 12 month warranty for $75.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I cannot even begin to imagine that being cost effective. 4 slip plates, two sets of gauges to do a homebrew "alignment" on two vehicles?

Just no.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a mechanic in a shop without an alignment rack and i send my vehicles out to be aligned,  even though I have to pay.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m intested as well. This holds a lot of appeal to me.

1) Most shops have failed to give me what I ask for
(One actually tried to use specs for the wrong model vehicle)
2) One shop actually looked at my car and turned me away (modified street/track car)
3) I may want to experiment
4) I may want to check it periodically
5) I want to know it’s right
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used the string method to align my ATVs.  Of course, that's very simple compared to a car's alignment.  I have heard of people using the string method to align their vehicle's wheels but have not done it on my vehicles personally.  I have an old beater truck that needs an alignment but due to a past accident, it's not possible to get it 100% right.  So, I can only settle for close enough.  I plan to try to string method eventually.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used the string method to align my ATVs.  Of course, that's very simple compared to a car's alignment.  I have heard of people using the string method to align their vehicle's wheels but have not done it on my vehicles personally.  I have an old beater truck that needs an alignment but due to a past accident, it's not possible to get it 100% right.  So, I can only settle for close enough.  I plan to try to string method eventually.
View Quote
I've used the string method on my Mini Cooper S....and it goes nice and straight, better than any "professional" alignment I've had done. But that thing only has toe adjustments...that it's.   I run into issues on the double A-arm vehicles that have toe, camber, and caster adjustments...you can't do that with just a string, level, and a tape measure.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Is your garage or driveway level? You need a very level surface to get accurate readings.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I cannot even begin to imagine that being cost effective. 4 slip plates, two sets of gauges to do a homebrew "alignment" on two vehicles?

Just no.
View Quote
Yes, I agree. It may not be cost effective......but if I have the equipment, I know it's done right. I've had my vehicles aligned several times on a "professional" alignment rack......and guess what, over half of the time, I have to take them back because it's pulling to one side or another....because the guy who did the alignment did a crappy job.  Just because they have an $80,000 alignment lift/rack...doesn't mean they know how to use it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I may have to follow this.  I don't expect shops to be able to align a humvee.  but then again, the suspension is the same as an H1 of the same year.  But you don't see those every day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
This one will fit your wheels.  No first hand experience from me though.

https://www.quicktrickalignment.com/shop/pro-series/#
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

2) One shop actually looked at my car and turned me away (modified street/track car)
View Quote
I HATE tire/alignment stores. You never know what they are going to whine about when you show up with a lifted truck with skids (even though they have cutouts to access the alignment bolts) and Spidertrax adaptors. And when you ask about adjusting the caster so the tire is better positioned in the wheel well you get a dumb look or nod and then they just adjust everything so it is "in the green."
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, I agree. It may not be cost effective......but if I have the equipment, I know it's done right. I've had my vehicles aligned several times on a "professional" alignment rack......and guess what, over half of the time, I have to take them back because it's pulling to one side or another....because the guy who did the alignment did a crappy job.  Just because they have an $80,000 alignment lift/rack...doesn't mean they know how to use it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just no.
No you don't, you know you did it, not that it is right.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
These professionals are 18-19 year old kids that just got trained in the equipment, realize that.... but also realize the accuracy in expensive tools isn't worth the occasional 1-3 times in 10 years for an alignment unless you are doing autocross.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just no.
If you have the right measurement equipment and adjust it within specs, then yes, you do know it's right.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This one will fit your wheels.  No first hand experience from me though.

https://www.quicktrickalignment.com/shop/pro-series/#
View Quote
It says it only goes up to 18" wheels...I need something that will fit 20" wheels.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you have the right measurement equipment and adjust it within specs, then yes, you do know it's right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just no.
That is exactly how you get a shitty alignment at the alignment shop.

"It's in specs!"

In this thread you find people saying "Just because they have a machine doesn't mean they know how to use it", while simultaneously looking to purchase alignment equipment they don't have the slightest idea how to use, but since they own the machine it will then be done correctly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"It's in specs!"

In this thread you find people saying "Just because they have a machine doesn't mean they know how to use it", while simultaneously looking to purchase alignment equipment they don't have the slightest idea how to use, but since they own the machine it will then be done correctly.
View Quote
So what's your point?

You seem to be saying that a mechanic shop can't do it right and neither can an individual with the right equipment.  So, what's left?

Also, just as an FYI....machines do work.  Instruments measure things.  There's no such thing as an alignment "machine".
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It says it only goes up to 18" wheels...I need something that will fit 20" wheels.
View Quote
Drop down the menu.  They have one that goes from 13" to 22.5" wheels.  Model 90042 for $356.95.  They also offer much larger size for really big wheels/tires.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#20]
You can do it yourself with the right tools and some ingenuity.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/16-brakes-suspension-steering/214082-diy-front-end-alignment.html

(I wish that would hotlink)
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So what's your point?

You seem to be saying that a mechanic shop can't do it right and neither can an individual with the right equipment.  So, what's left?

Also, just as an FYI....machines do work.  Instruments measure things.  There's no such thing as an alignment "machine".
View Quote
The point is it is about the competency,knowledge and attention to detail of the individual running the machine. A professional shop, with a competent tech and god equipment will be the guy you hunt down to unfuck your homebrew "alignment" done in your driveway.

OP suggests nobody can do an alignment correctly, but miraculously by purchasing an alignment machine he becomes competent.

Alignment "apparatus" are commonly called "alignment machines" in the auto repair business, whether it meets your criteria as a "machine" or not..
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#22]
It's amazing how well you can do with something simple. Used one like this many times.
Amazon Product
  • 1.This adjustable gauge allows you to return the strut to the original camber position after dismantling and re-assembling the suspension or to check the amount of camber change before re-installing. Measures the Camber and Caster angle on the wheel hub or brake disc. Suitable for accurate checking of the castor and camber angle.
  • 2.It has a powerful magnet could be easily mounted on all kinds of metal surface.(Note:Please double check and make sure the panel is balance before using.You could screw the button behind the gauge to adjust panel level)
  • 3.Also it could be used as a normal gradienter (Magnetic mount could be released).

When sold by SnapOn the price was quite a bit more.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

"It's in specs!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just no.

"It's in specs!"

Yeah...because nobody ever does any research and educates themselves on how to use a new tool.....give me a break.  It's all math and geometry.......adjusting toe/caster/camber isn't black magic, it just takes a little smarts (and the right tools) to figure it out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Drop down the menu.  They have one that goes from 13" to 22.5" wheels.  Model 90042 for $356.95.  They also offer much larger size for really big wheels/tires.
View Quote
Awesome! Thanks!!!  I didn't see that!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You need the Smart Strings kit. And their camber measurement tool.

It isn't "cost effective" but what is in the car hobby?  I damn sure did a better job than the 17 year old greaser down the street.
View Quote
I have a setup similar to that for setting toe...works great!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The point is it is about the competency,knowledge and attention to detail of the individual running the machine. A professional shop, with a competent tech and god equipment will be the guy you hunt down to unfuck your homebrew "alignment" done in your driveway.

OP suggests nobody can do an alignment correctly, but miraculously by purchasing an alignment machine he becomes competent.

Alignment "apparatus" are commonly called "alignment machines" in the auto repair business, whether it meets your criteria as a "machine" or not..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's your point?

There are a lot of dumbasses in the mechanic field so it's no surprise that mechanics don't understand the difference between a machine and an instrument.

So still no point.

Time for you to find another thread to shit in.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah...because nobody ever does any research and educates themselves on how to use a new tool.....give me a break.  It's all math and geometry.......adjusting toe/caster/camber isn't black magic, it just takes a little smarts (and the right tools) to figure it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just no.

"It's in specs!"

Apparently a certain poster doesn't think you're smart enough to  figure it out. Guess he's the only one professional enough to do alignment.  Funny thing about that link, there is a video on how to use the system and the guy doing the video said they took their car to a mechanic and got an alignment but, due to the unique nature of the vehicle's modifications, the mechanic wasn't able to get the alignment right...but they did with this tool.

If you get this tool, I'm interested in how it works for you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:24:02 AM EDT
[#28]
The great thing about DIY is you always know the guy doing the work gives a shit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Your in Missouri, Hunter is still there.
Drop 100g's and get a rack and all.Shipping should be cheap..
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Your in Missouri, Hunter is still there.
Drop 100g's and get a rack and all.Shipping should be cheap..
View Quote
Might drop $500 on some of those DIY alignment jigs......probably won't take the leap on a Hunter setup.....EVER!    They do make nice stuff though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Some things are just easier to leave to the professionals..... I like doing my own repairs and maintenance as well, but I'd rather not mess with something like an alignment when I can get one down the road with a 12 month warranty for $75.
View Quote
Many local shops offer lowered car alignment racks and will set it to your or race specs.  Sometimes its easier to pay the man.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Many local shops offer lowered car alignment racks and will set it to your or race specs.  Sometimes its easier to pay the man.
View Quote
Exactly my point lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"It's in specs!"
View Quote
I am going to try to DIY mine.

There is no spec for my truck, neither axle is factory to it and both are different width than original.

Steering stuff will all be new, I won't be out anything but my time and worse case hopefully I can at least get it close enough to drive it 6 miles to town and have it done there.  The guy won't know if I did it or not because after the axle swap nothing will be lined up to anything anyway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I am going to try to DIY mine.

There is no spec for my truck, neither axle is factory to it and both are different width than original.

Steering stuff will all be new, I won't be out anything but my time and worse case hopefully I can at least get it close enough to drive it 6 miles to town and have it done there.  The guy won't know if I did it or not because after the axle swap nothing will be lined up to anything anyway.
View Quote
What did you axle swap??? Pics, details? I solid axle swapped 2 of my previous GM trucks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I HATE tire/alignment stores. You never know what they are going to whine about when you show up with a lifted truck with skids (even though they have cutouts to access the alignment bolts) and Spidertrax adaptors. And when you ask about adjusting the caster so the tire is better positioned in the wheel well you get a dumb look or nod and then they just adjust everything so it is "in the green."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We hate your truck too. Please, take that shit somewhere else or be prepared to pay WAY more than the normal $79 alignment fee.

Whenever I aligned non stock vehicles I made it clear that its $85/hr, we are not enthusiast for your lift/lower/etc, and if we can't get it to spec because you need some other parts, you still pay.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#36]
The local race shop charges me $140 for an alignment to whatever specs you want. It extra if you are lower than 3" as they have to take bits off the rack to drive the car on.

I've wanted to do my own alignments for years. I drew up a variation of the hub stands that Flying Miata sells (https://pacomotorsports.com/product/diy-alignment-hub-stands/) that is adjustable for height so you don't need a level garage to use it. Haven't made them yet though, one day.

Pro race teams don't use hunter laser rigs in the pits, it's all strings and levels.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, that sort of experience spurred me to get my own equipment.  I have Longacre Racing caster camber gauges, toe plates, and some turntables.  Combined with SAE's Fundamental's of Vehicle Dynamics, it not that hard to get the results you're looking for, or to even experiment with alternate settings.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, that sort of experience spurred me to get my own equipment.  I have Longacre Racing caster camber gauges, toe plates, and some turntables.  Combined with SAE's Fundamental's of Vehicle Dynamics, it not that hard to get the results you're looking for, or to even experiment with alternate settings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on some nice alignment jigs.  It's really not that hard to dial in a good alignment....people act like if you don't take it to a shop, it's impossible to get a good alligment. That's just not true......most of the time you can probably do a better job at home, as long as you do it right.  Sure...it might take me 2 hrs, but at least I know it's done right.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What did you axle swap??? Pics, details? I solid axle swapped 2 of my previous GM trucks.
View Quote
'85 D28 TTB to a '95 D35 TTB.

'85 Ford 7.5" to a '96 Explorer 8.8"

In theory pretty cut and dry but I guess the specialized computers on a lot of the rigs won't like the changes in track width, both axles are wider than stock.  Actually the same width as each other, factory the rear was like an inch narrower than the front.  Combine that with the fact that it is a TTB that few people even know how to align now... might as well give it a go on my own.

I haven't actually swapped the front yet, I will when it warms up this spring though.  When I first got it:

It is exploded all over, its all rebuilt (all new brakes, bearings, balljoints and crosses) and waiting to be reassembled on the truck, you can't really put them on fully assembled like a solid axle.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 3:14:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In theory pretty cut and dry but I guess the specialized computers on a lot of the rigs won't like the changes in track width, both axles are wider than stock.  Actually the same width as each other, factory the rear was like an inch narrower than the front.  Combine that with the fact that it is a TTB that few people even know how to align now... might as well give it a go on my own.

I haven't actually swapped the front yet, I will when it warms up this spring though.  When I first got it:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4418/35704106753_45cb484466_c.jpg

It is exploded all over, its all rebuilt (all new brakes, bearings, balljoints and crosses) and waiting to be reassembled on the truck, you can't really put them on fully assembled like a solid axle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4418/35704106753_45cb484466_c.jpg

I think you remember me from TRS.

Aligning TTB with a tape measure and eyeball isn't too bad. Eyeballing the camber and using a tape measure on the toe is really simple, the caster you will have to test drive it, see if it pulls to one side, then adjust. Probably take you 3-4 tries.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think you remember me from TRS.

Aligning TTB with a tape measure and eyeball isn't too bad. Eyeballing the camber and using a tape measure on the toe is really simple, the caster you will have to test drive it, see if it pulls to one side, then adjust. Probably take you 3-4 tries.
View Quote
Long time no see!

Yeah, I have read the write up on doing and it doesn't look too bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top