Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2021 10:33:55 AM EDT
Started a 36 hour print yesterday afternoon in my Qidi S-Box after installing a fresh sheet of Calorbot FEP and tensioning it. Noticed immediately the sound between layers was different (like tapping on a drum head) and suspected the peel forces were going to be an issue.

Sure enough this AM I found most of my print had failed to peel and pieces separated from their supports. Pretty messy deal.

In the experience of the resin guys, what FEP works best? Calorbot is garbage when used with SirayaTech Fast ABS-like resin. Qidi FEP had no problems, I’m out of it though with no immediate source for replacement.

I need FEP sized for a 215mm x 130mm build area.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]
As a stop gap, while waiting on better material, you might want to try applying a PTFE lubricant to the FEP.  Apply a film with a bit of microfiber.  The 3-in-1 version is available at Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J25JDDY

I think Rain-X spray might also be an option.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
PTFE grease works great, we actually use superlube, spread over the FEP, in a very tiny layer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a large tube of Super Lube. I’ll give that a shot.

Appreciate the suggestions!
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Finally succeeded in the first batch of parts for my 1:24 scale Naboo N-1 model. M80 7.62 for scale. Still some to go.

This took almost 40 hours and nearly caused a divorce if I wasn’t religious about keeping the basement door to my man cave closed. Even the lower stink of the SirayaTech is still pretty bad.

I switched FEP to a different brand. Don’t ask which as I don’t know and can’t recall. Bought it for my Orange 30. Barely large enough to fit the S-Box vat but did. Much better on peeling.

In the meantime, took delivery of some SirayaTech NFEP. Going to give that a try after wearing out my current piece.

ETA: Also the 3-in-1 PTFE lube can be found at Lowe’s. Bought some to try on the Calorbot FEP. Seems a huge waste to toss it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top