Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2023 4:33:09 PM EDT
Do you guys wear weight belts?  Way back, for powerlifting, I wore a belt.  Now, as an older guy, I've been on Stronglifts for a few months and was wondering if it's necessary for back safety.  My form is good and I've relearned how to brace.  However, I do have chronic low back/ pelvic issues and wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I use one, way I see it, it's safety equipment, and getting up there in age, its cheap insurance. You still have to brace while using one, although you can definitely brace harder and handle heavier weights with one, than without.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. That was kinda my thought.  Last workout I kinda felt a little wobbly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I never have, but I don't try for 1-3 rep maxes almost ever.

I think they are more important if you are going for heavy attempts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Belts aren't safety equipment and it's wrong to  think so.

Belts are performance enhancers and that's it. If you're doing it right they have nothing to do with helping your back.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
That's why I stopped wearing one. I figured it would force the stabilizer muscles to strengthen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I wore one when I was doing powerlifting stuff usually for anything above 80% 1RM.

I had both the normie rogue belt and their lever belt. I’m a big fan of lever belts if you can swallow the price.

Ironically, back pain doesn’t really allow me to lift right now- and maybe anymore so… right now it’s bodyweight squats, light goblet squats, and split squats until my body decides to unfuck itself. No belt required.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#7]
As luck would have it, I blew out my back again this morning.

5x5 squats went well.
RDL warm up fine.
When I bent to do my first working set, my back locked up in severe pain.  Sacral area below the belt.

Now I'm walking around upright stiff as a board.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:36:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#8]
Everybody go ready anono's post again.

Belts are not for "safety."

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Back in the gym today. Doing alternate stuff to see where I am. SI is still sore in certain positions. Planning on resuming 5x5s Monday morning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top