Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2022 11:37:06 PM EDT
Trying to figure out my best option to go diving with a non-diving spouse.  My wife is ok with snorkeling and did do a discovery scuba once while on a cruise but, it never really mustered an interest in getting certified.  Good thing is that she loves to sleep in so a morning dive with an open schedule the afternoon would be ideal for both!  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:10:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WWolfe] [#1]
Haven't been to Roatan, so....

Cozumel is great
- take the 7:30 am dive (with Aldora) or 8:00 am with other dive shops, back by 10:30 or 11 am, go into town for lunch w/ wife, then beach time, etc.
- to get nice beaches, you pretty much have to go to a beach club ($) or the other side of the island (windy side)
- can do Paradise or other shallow areas for snorkel
- if you are somewhat adventurous, many great restaurants off the beaten path
- really friendly locals if you engage them
- we love the food there
- diving is really great (drift diving)
- cheap(ish)

Belize is also great
- diving is spectactular - finger coral formations, etc
- Ambergris is a funky little cay
- Not really sandy beaches that I remember - sea grass is prevalent
- expensive food
- Not sure what to do for non-diving wife, aside from shopping, laying by pool

Have you considered the Caymans, Hawaii, Curacao?  Maybe better for the non-diver situation
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  haven't given Curacao much thought but, open to it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Late to the party, but yes, Curacao is a good spot for both divers and non divers alike. A lot depends on the kind of diving you like to do as well. It’s not big stuff, more macro. Lots of shore diving though, so you can dive for cheap.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got back from Cozumel. Stayed at the Presidente and had a fantastic time. Good food and nice amenities/pools/spa, etc. Really decent snorkeling right in front of the hotel with a dive shop on site. My wife had never snorkeled in her life and ended up renting equipment everyday and just hopping in the water. I have plenty of snorkel experience but had never dived. I took the resort’s beginner class which was a short video and walkthrough with instructor followed by a 30ish minute beach dive. It was incredible. Planning to get certified and go back asap. Not a cheap resort by any means but it really was top notch.

All the locals we encountered to include hotel staff, taxi drivers, etc were extremely friendly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DiscoVolante:
Just got back from Cozumel. Stayed at the Presidente and had a fantastic time. Good food and nice amenities/pools/spa, etc. Really decent snorkeling right in front of the hotel with a dive shop on site. My wife had never snorkeled in her life and ended up renting equipment everyday and just hopping in the water. I have plenty of snorkel experience but had never dived. I took the resort’s beginner class which was a short video and walkthrough with instructor followed by a 30ish minute beach dive. It was incredible. Planning to get certified and go back asap. Not a cheap resort by any means but it really was top notch.

All the locals we encountered to include hotel staff, taxi drivers, etc were extremely friendly.
View Quote

That wasn’t a beginner class. That was a discover scuba aka try dive. How deep did you go? I’m always reading stories about sketchy shits resorts do. Open water is the beginner class.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Marie:

That wasn’t a beginner class. That was a discover scuba aka try dive. How deep did you go? I’m always reading stories about sketchy shits resorts do. Open water is the beginner class.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've been down with instructors that took beginners to 90 feet in Coz with no experience  
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MouseBoy:

I've been down with instructors that took beginners to 90 feet in Coz with no experience  
View Quote

Yep that’s exactly what I meant. I think the depth limit for a Discover Scuba is something like 40ft.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Yep that’s exactly what I meant. I think the depth limit for a Discover Scuba is something like 40ft.
View Quote

Back when I was doing Discover Scuba instruction, the depth limit was 25 feet and 30 minutes max (not everyone made the max time, though- usually 20 minutes and they were at 1000 psi).
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

But GD assured me that if I go to Mexico I will get killed, we are going to the presidente next month for 2 weeks, but I think the senotes are the most fun in Cancun/Cozumel.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mitikoki:

But GD assured me that if I go to Mexico I will get killed, we are going to the presidente next month for 2 weeks, but I think the senotes are the most fun in Cancun/Cozumel.
View Quote

I’m off to MX in two months for my full cave class in the cenotes. Will be staying in PDC.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Just returned from trip to Belize. Probably gonna catch hate, but we never went diving despite wife and I both being certified. She hasn't dove in probably 20 years and I haven't in about 6.

Snorkeling is awesome in Belize. One of the reasons we chose it was because of the wide variety of things to do.  We stayed on San Pedro, took a day trip to mainland to visit Mayan ruins and go cave tubing. There's also the ATM cave, snorkel trips with sharks, zip lines, rappelling, day trip to Cay Caulkner, etc.  

Had it just been her and I, we would have done a dive or two.  Our teenagers just didn't have any interest on this trip.

Belize was a lot of fun with great food and places to stay, eat, drink, etc. I didn't find it to be that expensive, particularly if you go to local places. Even drinks at swim up bar at our resort were only $8-$12 which isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
IMO Grand Cayman is the best boat diving in the Caribbean, a great island for tourist also.  The down side is that it can be a little pricey.  

The best shore diving (and therefore budget diving) is Bonaire.  Night diving with Tarpon is awesome.  The down side... it's not as good as Cayman or Curacao when not diving.

Aruba is great for vacation but the diving is meh... the reefs are lacking.  Cool to see submerged DC3's.  

Roatan is also a top choice for both diving and vacation.   A cheaper version of what Grand Cayman has to offer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WWolfe:
Haven't been to Roatan, so....

Cozumel is great
- take the 7:30 am dive (with Aldora) or 8:00 am with other dive shops, back by 10:30 or 11 am, go into town for lunch w/ wife, then beach time, etc.
- to get nice beaches, you pretty much have to go to a beach club ($) or the other side of the island (windy side)
- can do Paradise or other shallow areas for snorkel
- if you are somewhat adventurous, many great restaurants off the beaten path
- really friendly locals if you engage them
- we love the food there
- diving is really great (drift diving)
- cheap(ish)

Belize is also great
- diving is spectactular - finger coral formations, etc
- Ambergris is a funky little cay
- Not really sandy beaches that I remember - sea grass is prevalent
- expensive food
- Not sure what to do for non-diving wife, aside from shopping, laying by pool

Have you considered the Caymans, Hawaii, Curacao?  Maybe better for the non-diver situation
View Quote

Been to all three, Roatan is very similar to Bonaire; if your spouse doesn't dive there's not much for them. Given those three I'd say Cozumel but it's the worst diving (IMO.)
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SunTunnel:
Late to the party, but yes, Curacao is a good spot for both divers and non divers alike. A lot depends on the kind of diving you like to do as well. It’s not big stuff, more macro. Lots of shore diving though, so you can dive for cheap.
View Quote

Just went to Curacao this June, my third and probably final trip there. Diving was much better 10 or so years ago, fishing and traffic has really impacted the reefs and they haven't stayed ahead. Further, COVID really messed up the island as many locals have *zero* interest in working in service and hospitalities impacting resorts and restaurants.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Roatan.
Specifically Roatan Divers.  I have never seen a better operation, closer boat rides and the staff is second to none.

Just got back from a 7 day trip.
Food was amazing.  Never felt unsafe (stayed away from the cruise ship area cannot speak to that area).

I will go back as often as I can.

Reef everywhere and water was really clear.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for Roatan diving.  There is a shopping area, zip line tours, dolphin experience, iguana farm and other local entertainment.  It depends what your wife likes to do and if she can keep herself entertained.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top