Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2020 8:30:02 PM EDT
Like the title says. I have begun to get extremely interested in the Civil War. I spent the most of my adult life reading about Modern Warfare especially around World War II Korea and Vietnam.

Oddly enough the History Channel 3 part series on Grant got me interested. That and the movie Gettysburg.

I've already read the book The Killer Angels.

I am mostly interested in books about the campaigns and those that led them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Shelby Foote has an exhaustive 3-volume set about the entire CW: "The Civil War: A Narrative."
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
James McPherson’s Battle Cry of Freedom and For Cause and Comrades. Charles Dew’s Apostles of Disunion is pretty interesting, as is Richard Bensel’s Yankee Leviathan.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:24:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The Personal Memoir of U S Grant is considered to be some of the finest writing in US history..
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 4:30:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: captainpooby] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Shelby Foote has an exhaustive 3-volume set about the entire CW: "The Civil War: A Narrative."
View Quote

Three 800 page books. It’s a commitment but it’s an excellent read.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Terlinguachili:
The Personal Memoir of U S Grant is considered to be some of the finest writing in US history..
View Quote

Best memoir from the Union side.  For the Confederate equivalent:

Edward Porter Alexander's Military Memoirs of a Confederate and then his private work intended only for his immediate family, Fighting For the Confederacy.

For a soldier's view:

John Billings' Hard Tack and Coffee
John Worshams' One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry. - this book got me hooked on reading the CW.  I read a bunch of CW books before this one really reeled me in.
Wyman White's The Civil War Diary of Wyman White - the best memoir by a Berdan Sharp Shooter
Berry Benson The Civil War Memoirs of Berry Benson - best Confederate memoir by a rebel sharp shooter

For a general's view:
James Longstreet From Manassas to Appomattox - good memoir by a leading Confederate general.  Be sure to have a map.  Longstreet served at Manassas, was sent down to Suffolk (Virginia and was absent from Fredericksburg II/Chancellorsville), fought at Gettysburg and then his corps was sent to the Army of Tennessee and fought at Chickamugua, then up north to Knoxville where he failed to capture that city, then rejoined Lee until the end of the war.
Regis de Trobriand Four Years in the Army of the Potomac.  Rose from colonel to maj. general and was a col. in the post war army.  Very insightful.

For an officer's view:
Francis Adam Donaldson Inside The Army of the Potomac

For a modern historian perspective of the average soldier:
Bell Irving Wiley's The Life of Billy Yank and The Life of Johnny Reb
Gary Gallagher's books.
Robert Krick - The Smoothbore Volley That Doomed the Confederacy Want to learn about the Myth of the Lost Cause?

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The Shelby Foote books are a tour de force.  Excellent way to get started in Civil War history.  He spent some 25 years of his life putting it all together.  He was a novelist and his writing style makes his books an easy read.  

"Company Aytch" by Sam Watkins is a great read.  He fought for the south.  His view of the war is strictly what he saw from where he was.  It is a look at the war from an individual level and dose not bother with grand strategies of battle plans etc.   Plenty of interesting commentary along the way.  

Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War is also very good.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Sneden's The Eye of the Storm.  Private soldier in the Army of the Potomac, later captured and imprisoned at Andersonville.  He did a lot of illustrations that were reproduced in the book.
Elisha Hunt Rhodes.  All For the Union.  Another great account by a private soldier.  Used by Ken Burns in his series.
William Fletcher Rebel Private, Front and Rear Another great account given by a Confederate soldier.
John B. Gordon Reminiscences of the Civil War.  Rose from commanding the Raccoon Roughs to Corps Command.  Heavily biased towards reconstruction, but valuable resource and good reading.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome! Thank you guys I just got in today the Shelby Foote series. Getting ready to crawl into bed and do a little light reading with volume one
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 4:25:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#9]
I couldn't read Foote's books.  It's me, not Foote.

For mainstream historian, I enjoyed journalist Bruce Catton's Army of the Potomac trilogy (Mr. Lincoln's Army, The Glory Road, A Stillness at Appomattox).  I also enjoyed Catton's books on Grant (it was a trilogy started by Lloyd Lewis with Capt. Sam Grant but after Lewis died, Catton picked it up and using the notes and information provided by Lewis' widow, finished it with Grant Moves South and Grant Takes Command).
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Grant's memoirs is a very good description of the strategy used to win the war.

Confederates in the Attic is fairly amusing, even though it's not a historical book.

Porter Alexander's memoirs is also very good.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 3:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#11]
May have a slant on some things, the companion book to the Ken Burns PBS series on the Civil War is good, but may not be as in depth you are looking for. Also look up the various national battlefields during the Civil War. They usually have a bookstore section with locally written and published research focusing on the particular battles and participants.

Then look on eBay or thriftbooks.com for the used books titles you are looking for.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
National Park Bookstores' books are generally those screened by the rangers for accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Rebel yell was the last I read! I really liked it. I have been twice stone wall Jackson and lees graves in Lexington Virginia. Jackson’s house tour was interesting. The chapel where lees office and grave is not to be missed. I have spent many weeks touring civil war sites in Virginia while on vacation. So much history in Virginia. I  hope they don’t tear down everything before I can pass that way again.    
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Reading Battle Cry of Freedom now, it has given quite a bit of backstory before even getting to secession. I recommend it
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

He is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ruger556boy:

He is awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ruger556boy:

He is awesome.

I had trouble reading Foote and gave up.  I prefer Joseph Glatthaar's style of writing.  I've got his book Soldiering In the Army of Northern Virginia as well h The March to the Sea and Beyond.  Both are highly recommended.  

Didn't read his Forged In Battle about the so called alliance between white officers and the colored men they led.  I've only ready about a few colored troops (54, 55 Mass and the 1st and 3rd LA Native Guards at Port Hudson) and I did read about a colored artillery unit (Rhode Island) and all that book discussed were the activities of the white officer.  Not a word about the men.  The post-Civil War book, Under Fire about the Tenth US Cavalry (regulars) was much better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Attack & die is one of the best  if you are looking for wisdom as a soldier or warrior

link to attack & die

as a historian I would recommend starting in the Great awakening  of the 1820s.

Prohibition, Zionism, feminism, & abolitionism all sprang forth from the large number of protestant churches created in America in the 1820s-m1830.s

the roots for just about all the nations' success & failures lie inside the great awakening ideals.and how those ideals played out.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gavachui] [#18]

still learning the site & how it works

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Best single volume work on the war is "The Story of the Confederacy" by Robert S. Henry

It is the book with which one begins the subject and the book to which you will return after you have read all else on the subject. - Bruce Catton
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#20]
David Holt's A Mississippi Rebel in the Army of Northern Virginia.  It has one of the most intense accounts of the Bloody Angle at Spotsylvania Court House.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#21]
The formation of the Confederate States of America by the people of the South through their secession conventions was the greatest expression of democracy and self-government in the history of the world.

How could it not be? Millions of people in a land mass as great as Europe rose up in state after state and invoked Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, George Washington and others of their Revolutionary sires. There were only 85 years between 1776 and 1861. The Revolution and Declaration of Independence were still fresh in the minds and hearts of Southerners.
From a book
The Confederate States of America:
1861 Was 1776 All Over
by Gene Kizer, Jr.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PVFD304] [#22]
I live in Appomattox Co. In Virginia, we are surrounded by American history. It's a bit of a ride for you but a few days visiting battlefields is a worthy endeavor.

Not Civil War-related but I got a chance to visit Patrick Henry's Red Hill and talk to his 6x Great-grandson on Sat. I've been researching the location of where he lived nearby after he left the Governor's office.

Yep, I'm a History Nerd.

As far as books, I enjoy reading first-person accounts rather than looking through a present-day lens.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#23]
What's good on Audible?  I'm doing a lot of driving lately.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GLOCKshooter:
What's good on Audible?  I'm doing a lot of driving lately.
View Quote

Team of Rivals by Doris Goodwin.  It's about Lincoln's cabinet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I enjoyed "Jack Hinsons One Man War" so much I bought a rifle I couldn't afford lol
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I spoke with Lt. Col. Tom McKenney once and asked for clarification about the bullet.  We also spoke about Maj. Walter Walsh who was capt. of the shooting team and his boss once.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#27]
On audible i am currently reading “rebel yell” and find it engaging.

I started jack hinsons war and gave up 4-5 hours in.

I get very discouraged reading about all the mistakes and losses suffered by the South.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Which one?
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I just finished "Strange battles of the Civil War" by Web Garrison, good read, slanted toward the Confederate though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Battle Cry of Freedom is the best one volume history of the war.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 5:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#31]
John Hebrich's Masters of the Field about the 4th US Cavalry is easily the best cavalry book I've read to understand the life of a cavalryman and cavalry operations.  Forrest hated them.

ETA: Edward Hamilton bookseller has this hardcover book at less than $10!
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 5:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RichinCM] [#32]
I didn't see how old this threat was.  Please excuse the double tap.  here's another good book:

The Young Volunteer
, by Joseph E. Crowell.   It chronicles the experiences of an ordinary soldier in the 13th New Jersey Volunteer Regiment.

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:
On audible i am currently reading “rebel yell” and find it engaging.

I started jack hinsons war and gave up 4-5 hours in.

I get very discouraged reading about all the mistakes and losses suffered by the South.
View Quote

To be fair, Jack Hinsons story gets good in the second half. The first part lays the groundwork and the logistics. The second half explains how bad ass Jack Hinson actually was.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Theodre Upson's With Sherman to the Sea: The Civil War Letters, Diaries &
Reminisces of Theodore F. Upson
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:46:58 AM EDT
[#35]
The Killer Angels
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I worked with a guy who was a Civil War fanatic,  he knew every battle, the strategy behind it, why it was fought, statistics of the battles....he was a wealth of knowledge....he passed away about 5 years ago....real nice guy

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top