Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2022 8:04:14 AM EDT
My oldest daughter (10) has expressed an interest in learning a programming language. She has an incredible ability to retain things after seeing them once and I feel like that would be a useful trait for learning programming.  What would be a good path to send her down, to test the waters and see if it's something she enjoys? I know absolutely zero about technology.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody is going to say Python, so I will.  It's a good starting language that get something to happen quickly.

I might also suggest some HTML / CSS. That's entirely visual and doesn't "do" anything.  But a person can quickly see what they are doing is making changes and it has rules you have to follow for it to work. It might capture a kid's interest longer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
^^^ he's right you know.

When learning to code it's helpful to have a goal, a project of some sort, after the familiarization phase. It helps make what can be pretty generic and not terribly helpful lessons real.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:42:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gauge0920] [#3]
Originally Posted By mohawk17:
My oldest daughter (10) has expressed an interest in learning a programming language. She has an incredible ability to retain things after seeing them once and I feel like that would be a useful trait for learning programming.  What would be a good path to send her down, to test the waters and see if it's something she enjoys? I know absolutely zero about technology.
View Quote

Get her a Raspberry Pi. They have programming as well as projects.  YouTube them if you want.

My wife uses SQL (pronounces sequel) in a hospital environment.

Edit: I BELIEVE a Raspberry zoo has Python.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Python it is - but don't step on snake
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I would start with javascript.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Have her work through Ben Eater's youtube catalog.

That will give a solid foundation for whatever language of the week she happens on.

A Raspberry Pi Pico might be an option and has some good instructional materials for new learners.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:34:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thejokker] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Somebody is going to say Python, so I will.  It's a good starting language that get something to happen quickly.

I might also suggest some HTML / CSS. That's entirely visual and doesn't "do" anything.  But a person can quickly see what they are doing is making changes and it has rules you have to follow for it to work. It might capture a kid's interest longer.
View Quote

Because she is only 10 you want a programming language that is fun and not over-whelming.  I doubt seriously she wants to learn to program applications that adults will find useful so I would not start with an advance language.  Python is something to work towards and not to start.

HTML/CSS is something that is relatively easy and she can see results quickly.  Building a webpage can keep her busy for a while as she develops a layout and adds more and more features as her skills grow.  If she remains interested I would steer her towards simple phone applications.  For someone that young she will want end results she can share with her friends so webpages and phone apps will be attractive to her.  Let her learn to walk before she runs.  If this is something she remains passionate about she will advance towards a more advanced language when she is ready.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#8]
SuperStormBryan Jr is only six, but he gets along well in Kodu:

https://www.kodugamelab.com/

When he gets a little older, I'll start him on Game Maker.  In my opinion, its more important to target a kid's goals, teach the basic logic, and find a program that is easy to use, then find the perfect language.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I too say Python with a Raspberry pi
The Pi has GPIO break out pins that can be used to light up LEDs and run servo motors and such
Kids like that
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Webdood:
I would start with javascript.  

View Quote

Yeah, this... With HTML - lots of creative things you can do with that, even right in a web browser if you wish...

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Getting an Rpi is a great option given the versatility and price.  It makes for an easy environment they can start off small and end up doing robotics with if they so desire.

For learning to code there are other options like Codeacademy that offer free training.  They are good starting points for exposure.

Another idea is find a theme she likes and find a coding book focused on it.  An example is my son loves Minecraft.  So we bought him a coding book that steps him through everything bit by bit to do a basic web site themed around Minecraft.  It was a subject he loved so it worked really well to draw him in.  Now he's taking a Java course and took Python already.  Basically he is exploring coding options.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got some research to do, thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#14]
My son did Kodakid on the Minecraft curriculum.

He liked it so much that he begged me to get the full version on PC.  

He's created worlds with interactive NPCs and global events triggered by player actions.  Minecraft is a great opportunity for a kid to see the results of his programming.

He started at age 9 and is turning 12 soon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a now 12 year old, and we've dabbled with a few kid friendly frameworks...

python + minecraft
c# + unity
lua + roblox

Of the 3, LUA+Roblox will probably get them building/coding something engaging the quickest... but honestly any of them work.  and coding is more about learning the concepts than any particular language or framework.

I'm a code monkey myself, so I'm able to "help".  

His current project is simple but cool - a from scratch tic-tac-toe game, where he is working out the data types and corresponding algorithms for the "ai" player.

I have to constantly temper his "I want to build this super awesome FPS game!" with crawl-walk-run lessons.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Kodable!
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
I have a now 12 year old, and we've dabbled with a few kid friendly frameworks...

python + minecraft
c# + unity
lua + roblox

Of the 3, LUA+Roblox will probably get them building/coding something engaging the quickest... but honestly any of them work.  and coding is more about learning the concepts than any particular language or framework.

View Quote
I was also going to tentatively suggest Roblox, but I thought it used Python? I haven't kept up with it the last few years.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I hate python, but understand why so many love it.

I am going to go a different direction and say, Find a fun enjoyable curriculum in any language (through youtube, free online courses, etc.).  Have them focus on the fundamentals of pseudocode and not on the nuances of any particular language.  Being able to develop and understand pseudocode is the necessity to solve problems and build architecture. A strong fundamental base will allow them to quickly transition to any language and will make their future much brighter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:33:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#19]
Also look into a national program called CyberPatriot. It’s a cyber protection competition sponsored br Northrop Grumman and the Air Force Association. It’s in its 15th year. A good place to network with other computer oriented kids, and could lead to scholarships and job opportunities for those that do well in the competitions. Not really ‘in the weeds’ computer program writing, but definitely teaches the nuances of a computer program’s vulnerability.

https://www.uscyberpatriot.org
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top