Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2020 12:03:38 AM EDT
Local apple farmer expanded on his tourist attractions and opened a brewery and distillery.  Sometimes I stop in the gift shop and grab a couple of bottles of whatever is on sale to sample, and the owner was asking what I thought about re-using brandy barrels to add flavor to beer.  I have never tasted beer done like that, and was wondering what everyone's experience with such a process.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#1]
If I wanted brandy barrel flavored beer, I would put brandy soaked oak chips into my fermenting beer at some point.  Can brandy barrels contain the pressure fermenting beer produces, and not leak?
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweetwater  here in Atlanta has a whole section of their brewery filled with whiskey barrels full of different beers they brew. It definitely adds a unique flavor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The owner is always trying new things, seeing what sells well.  I told him a restaurant down the road serves a good share of shandys in the summer, so that may be another route to try in his public room.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Central Waters Brewery has been doing bourbon barrel stouts, porters and barleywine for several years now.
Very good stuff I might add.

Also seeing bourbon barreled maple syrup lately.

Won't be long we'll have bourbon barrel toothpaste....
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Central Waters Brewery has been doing bourbon barrel stouts, porters and barleywine for several years now.
Very good stuff I might add.

Also seeing bourbon barreled maple syrup lately.

Won't be long we'll have bourbon barrel toothpaste....
View Quote
They have a barrels left over from making brandy.  I could see them barreling several small batches of their existing recipes to see which one's are worth repeating.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
New Belgium does a few sours in apple Brandy barrels that are incredible
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Whiskey and Bourbon barrel beer is a hot item here, 13+% too

Goose Island does some once a year

Boulevard does some great stuff too

When I find them I buy them as the are uncommon for the most part
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I've put beer into Rum, Bourbon, Rye Whisky, Tequila, and Wine barrels.

After the beer is done fermenting, we cool it down to 33 for a couple of days to drop the yeast.Then into the barrels.
We'll pull samples out after 6 months, when we like what we are getting we take it out of the barrels.
Depending on how wet the barrel is, usually adds about 4-4.5% to the ABV.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Tons of breweries have been aging imperial stouts in brandy barrels and apple brandy barrels for years now.

Beware though- apple brandy barrel aged beer has been some of my least favorite barrel-aged beers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top