Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2021 10:30:58 AM EDT
I despise all the chords running around my house. Does anybody make a battery powered TV that I can recharge. I've looked online and I found 14 inch battery powered TVs but I would like something bigger. Suggestions?

ETA they exist they're just not very big

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#1]
You would just leave it plugged in all the time so the battery wouldn’t die in the middle of Oprah.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Put a normal TV in front of an outlet. No cord running all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s ingenious.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one in the 80s. It was part of a boombox. The screen was about 3"X3" and it was black and white.

ETA: It ran on 87 D cell batteries and you still had to leave it plugged in most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That’s ingenious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s ingenious.

This is the forbidden knowledge
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you have minor or major chords?

It makes a difference you know

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you have minor or major chords?

It makes a difference you know

View Quote

That struck me as funny
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#8]
A deep cycle battery and inverter would be more useful...I've run my fridge and freezer off of a regular old group 27 deep cycle battery before.

I also keep my wall mounted 24" kitchen tv with antenna plugged into 1300 watt UPS. Idk how long it will run, but I've left it on for at least 2 hours with no power before.

Just buy a UPS and a small tv OP
ETA: you can even buy more 12v batteries for the UPS if you like.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A deep cycle battery and inverter would be more useful...I've run my fridge and freezer off of a regular old group 27 deep cycle battery before.

I also keep my wall mounted 24" kitchen tv with antenna plugged into 1300 watt UPS. Idk how long it will run, but I've left it on for at least 2 hours with no power before.

Just buy a UPS and a small tv OP
ETA: you can even buy more 12v batteries for the UPS if you like.

Speed
View Quote

I've thought of that. I have a bunch of batteries out in the garage maybe I'll get that a shot
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a really cool Casio color LCD hand held TV that I used regularly about 20 years ago. It runs on 4 AA cells and it worked well. Once all of the broadcasts went to digital, it won't pick up anything anymore. Bummer because it still powers up fine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand why you would have a cord running anywhere, to power a TV.  We have been putting TVs near outlets since TV existed.

If an outlet doesn't exist near where you want your TV, just add a new outlet.  If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, you can likely hire a licensed electrician to do it for you, for what you are going to pay for a bunch of batteries over time.  Batteries are a consumable that need to be replaced as they age over and over.  An outlet is once and done.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've thought of that. I have a bunch of batteries out in the garage maybe I'll get that a shot
View Quote
Just test them first.
I bought a 4 pack of 7amp 12v batteries about 2 years ago, and 2 of them are dead already.

I moved the other 2 inside next to the ups's, and they still work fine.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That’s ingenious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s ingenious.

Alternately, install an outlet where you want the tv to go.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

So some cords irritate you but a stack of old car batteries crack engineered to a UPS inverter will clean things up.    I friggin love this place.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So some cords irritate you but a stack of old car batteries crack engineered to a UPS inverter will clean things up.    I friggin love this place.
View Quote

Lol...I assume OP meant he was sick of running a genset and extension cords everywhere, but ya...wait til OP finds out about ATSC tuner cards

Speed
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol...I assume OP meant he was sick of running a genset and extension cords everywhere, but ya...wait til OP finds out about ATSC tuner cards

Speed
View Quote
If he means to power his TV when the grid is offline, the correct way is to install a proper input feed that will disconnect his breaker box from the grid and switch it to the feed from his genset.

Batteries suck for very occasional use because they degrade over time.  Odds are good that the once or twice a year that you find yourself suddenly needing them, you will find that their performance has degraded and they need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a really cool Casio color LCD hand held TV that I used regularly about 20 years ago. It runs on 4 AA cells and it worked well. Once all of the broadcasts went to digital, it won't pick up anything anymore. Bummer because it still powers up fine.
View Quote

WAT?  You didn't get one of the free converter boxes in 2009?  I've got a 13" screen plugin TV from the early 80's that I still use with a rabbit ear antenna and a converter box.

I also still have an 80's vintage 3"x3" color screen portable battery or plugin TV/AM-FM radio that's broken.  I think one of the kids dropped it and didn't bother to tell me.  I've got to take it to the electronics recycling place some time or another.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey man I'm just spitballing here
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If he means to power his TV when the grid is offline, the correct way is to install a proper input feed that will disconnect his breaker box from the grid and switch it to the feed from his genset.

Batteries suck for very occasional use because they degrade over time.  Odds are good that the once or twice a year that you find yourself suddenly needing them, you will find that their performance has degraded and they need to be replaced.
View Quote

Obviously he's not planning on installing a transfer switch if he's asking about battery powered TV's

And, we have no idea how often he loses power or for how long.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I despise all the chords running around my house. Suggestions?
View Quote

put the generator closer to the TV, boom no cords running all over.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Obviously he's not planning on installing a transfer switch if he's asking about battery powered TV's

View Quote
He should.  Batteries suck as solution.  It's a constantly reoccuring cost over time vs the one time cost of just doing it right.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He should.  Batteries suck as solution.  It's a constantly reoccuring cost over time vs the one time cost of just doing it right.

View Quote

Well, no argument there but... batteries are cheap. Someone with batteries and an inverter vs. someone who's waiting on an electrician to install their $300+ transfer switch is better prepared in the short term.

Also, what if OP's generator stops working, or he can't get fuel? I'm thinking he'd be happy to have some batteries around; 2 is 1 and all that.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Have you thought about:

A tablet?
A Phablet?
A modern era cell phone?
A laptop?

you can recreate the tv environment with each of those with the proper app
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well, no argument there but... batteries are cheap. Someone with batteries and an inverter vs. someone who's waiting on an electrician to install their $300+ transfer switch is better prepared in the short term.

Also, what if OP's generator stops working, or he can't get fuel? I'm thinking he'd be happy to have some batteries around; 2 is 1 and all that.

Speed
View Quote
If all he needs is a single circuit, this place offers a manual transfer switch that is code compliant for a cheaper cost than a more traditional whole house switch.  I have one on my furnace.

https://ezgeneratorswitch.com/
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#26]
In for pics of OP’s hose with extension cords running everywhere
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If all he needs is a single circuit, this place offers a manual transfer switch that is code compliant for a cheaper cost than a more traditional whole house switch.  I have one on my furnace.

https://ezgeneratorswitch.com/
View Quote

I had a single circuit transfer switch for my boiler in my last house. I think I ordered from Lowes or something for under $100.

I have a really nice transfer switch now... sitting next to my breaker panel and attached to nothing

One of my best friends is an electrician, but we haven't got to it yet lol. My trolling motor batteries and UPS's have saved the day a few times so far.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had a single circuit transfer switch for my boiler in my last house. I think I ordered from Lowes or something for under $100.

I have a really nice transfer switch now... sitting next to my breaker panel and attached to nothing

One of my best friends is an electrician, but we haven't got to it yet lol. My trolling motor batteries and UPS's have saved the day a few times so far.

Speed
View Quote
Well maybe this thread could be an inspiration to call up your buddy and ask him for a quote or how many steaks it would cost you get that bad boy installed.

You never need them until you do, then you wish your past self would have.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

WAT?  You didn't get one of the free converter boxes in 2009?  I've got a 13" screen plugin TV from the early 80's that I still use with a rabbit ear antenna and a converter box.

I also still have an 80's vintage 3"x3" color screen portable battery or plugin TV/AM-FM radio that's broken.  I think one of the kids dropped it and didn't bother to tell me.  I've got to take it to the electronics recycling place some time or another.
View Quote

It doesn't have an antenna input. It has a built-in antenna and that's it. The only output it has is a 3.5mm headphone jack. Being a hand-held, it's really small. I wish there was some way to easily mod it to receive digital broadcasts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well maybe this thread could be an inspiration to call up your buddy and ask him for a quote or how many steaks it would cost you get that bad boy installed.

You never need them, until you do and then you wish your past self would have.
View Quote

Lol...it's purely my own procrastination. I can wire it myself, but I would have him check everything for safety and code. Honestly, I can run everything in a pinch right now, but...lots of extension cords and I'd have to rewire my well pump to 110.

I guess the knowledge of how to operate and maintain different stuff without utility power is more important than having a dedicated transfer switch is my point.

They are nice, but not imperative.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
[snip] Batteries suck for very occasional use because they degrade over time.  Odds are good that the once or twice a year that you find yourself suddenly needing them, you will find that their performance has degraded and they need to be replaced.
View Quote

I won't disagree....if you're using lead acid battery technology.  But battery tech is advancing pretty fast right now.  LiFePO4 batteries are a huge leap in overall performance over lead acid.  With no fire hazard like some other lithium chemistries I'm good with using them in my home unattended.  Currently pricier than lead acid but not prohibitively so and they keep coming down.

I'll probably never buy another 12v lead acid deep cycle battery.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Won't you still need some sort of input, antenna or cable?
I use an iPad and stream for entertainment when sitting outside with my cigar.
Top Top