Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2021 2:34:07 PM EDT
I swore there was a thread (or several) here discussing the bare essentials necessary to have a home gym sufficient for a thorough workout.  However, I cannot find anything here.  It's possible I'm retarded.  

I seem to recall a partial list being:

1) squat rack
2) adjustable bech
3) adjustable or full barbell set
4) bar
5) weights for the bar

We're lucky we live in an area where we can continue going to the gym (or, in our case, have recently started).  I understand gym equipment pricing is stupid right now, due to so many people NOT being able to go to the gym.  I understand this is a semi retarded time to try to buy gym equipment.  

Still, I'll like to put together a little list of items to pick up for a "suitable" home gym.  General weight loss, fitness, overall toning.  Nobody is looking to give vintage Ahhhnuld a run for his money here.

Any suggestions or info related to this search that you feel like sharing (for likely the millionth time)?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
One Smith machine and an adjustable bench is my answer. Can do a whole lot with just one apparatus
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I swore there was a thread (or several) here discussing the bare essentials necessary to have a home gym sufficient for a thorough workout.  However, I cannot find anything here.  It's possible I'm retarded.  

I seem to recall a partial list being:

1) squat rack
2) adjustable bech
3) adjustable or full barbell set
4) bar
5) weights for the bar

We're lucky we live in an area where we can continue going to the gym (or, in our case, have recently started).  I understand gym equipment pricing is stupid right now, due to so many people NOT being able to go to the gym.  I understand this is a semi retarded time to try to buy gym equipment.  

Still, I'll like to put together a little list of items to pick up for a "suitable" home gym.  General weight loss, fitness, overall toning.  Nobody is looking to give vintage Ahhhnuld a run for his money here.

Any suggestions or info related to this search that you feel like sharing (for likely the millionth time)?
View Quote

About the only thing I see missing is flooring. Rubber flooring is nice to have.

For the rack, there’s several good brands but a solid one made out of 3”x3” 11 gauge steel is the way to go. Mine is a raptor fitness half rack that is basically a carbon copy of the rogue monster lite half rack. Add a dip bar, land mines, spotter arms to maximize versatility. Take not of the hole size as well. Racks should have either .625 or 1” holes for attachments. Don’t buy a rack with proprietary accessories. Mine is a .625 so I can use either rogue monster lite or rep 4000 series accessories.

I would strongly recommend the rep zerogap adjustable.  Rogue makes a great bench too. Do not cheap out of your bench.  

Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells would be the way to go unless you can afford a full set. Their only minus is they’re not great for drop sets due to the time it takes to swap plates.  They’re on a lottery system for the foreseeable future but I was finally selected a couple weeks ago for a set after waiting since last March.

Texas powerbars, rogue, and rep make great bars. I have the rep Excalibur.

Plates are probably the least important thing branding wise. But you need:
At least 2x45 plates, 4-8 if you’re a more advanced lifter.
2x25
4x10
2x5
2x2.5.
35s aren’t really necessary but I have a set. I also bought a bunch of extra 10s, 5s, and 2.5s for drop sets.

A couple other things would be an ez curl bar and handles for you land mine. Multi grip pull-up bars are nice as well.

Good luck acquiring your equipment.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been building one over the last several months. This is my opinion:

Essential:
1. Squat stand (ideally with pullup bar)
2. Flat bench
3. Barbell
4. Plates

This will let you squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, barbell row, barbell curl, etc. Essentially all your barbell movements.

Nice to have (no particular order):
1. Swap squat stand to power rack w/ pullup bar
2. Swap flat bench to adjustable flat/incline bench
3. Loadable dumbbells (with good collars!)
4. Dip bar attachment for rack
5. ETA: If you deadlift, a deadlift jack will be the best money you spend after the bar and plates!

This will allow you get in big bodyweight movements like pullups & dips, safer benching, safer squatting (you can use safety pins), incline & flat pressing barbell & dumbbell movements, DB variations for whatever movements you want

Luxuries (no particular order):
1. Complete dumbbell set
2. Kettlebells
3. Specialty benches/equipment like GHDs
4. Specialty barbells
5. Loadable belt for weighted dips/pullups
6. Bands
7. Chains
8. Pulley systems
9. Cardio equipment
10. Strongman stuff like sleds, farmers handles, log press, etc.
11. Too many other accessories to list

This is what my gym currently looks like:

Attachment Attached File

Next things I plan to get are loadable dumbbells and a better elliptical for my wife (and me )
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Only thing i still want are adjustable dumbbells
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

5. ETA: If you deadlift, a deadlift jack will be the best money you spend after the bar and plates!

View Quote

Just roll one side onto a change plate, strip or load as needed.

Basically all UTex said.  Even if you don't plan on Olympic lifting, I'd get some bumpers to at least power clean with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d get at least one or two plyometric boxes as a non-essential that’d be nice to have as well as something along the lines of TRX bands.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a pretty well equipped home gym but if starting over the first thing I'd get after the basic rack/barbell/plates/bench essentials would be an SSB. My shoulders and elbows thank me every squat day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a lot of stuff, but the only things I really use are two barbells, a rack, and weights.

I don't even use a bench, I just floor press.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

the deadwedge is like $12.... totally an essential piece of gear, IMO

If I was gonna redo my gym, I'd probably get

30" deep power rack (ie Rogue R3)
Adjustable bench
Power barbell (Texas Power Bar, Rogue Ohio Power/B&R/etc.... needs center knurling)
6x45lb, 2x35lbs, 2x25lbs bumper plates; 2x10lbs, 4x5lbs, 2x2.5lb metal change plates... I prefer bumper plates as they aren't as loud as I work out at late times and I live in a duplex

That's pretty much all you need to start off with the big compound lifts. You also have enough plates to lift heavy when you progress to higher weights

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One Smith machine and an adjustable bench is my answer. Can do a whole lot with just one apparatus
View Quote

I hate those things, locking you into one movement path is so unnatural.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Some piece of cardio equipment is necessary IMO.
Treadmill or elliptical are always cheap and easy to get.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could always do bodyweight stuff, barbell complexes, sandbag stuff.

I should probably get a treadmill though, I want to try one of those self powered curved ones.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Have:

Power rack with pull-up bar
Flat bench
Bar
Basic dumbbells
Concept 2 rower
Bands
Chains
Sandbag

I can maintain a pretty solid conjugate plan with this

Want:
An SSB
A trap bar
Basic kettlebells
A sled
More 45 and 10 lb weights
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I should probably get a treadmill though, I want to try one of those self powered curved ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are really nice. I just have a basic treadmill.

My elliptical kicks my ass hard and it's not an expensive one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it's a very personalized list, based on age, physical condition and goals.  

For me, a sturdy flat bench, a set of 5-50 lb dumbells and a cardio machine (a bikeerg, in my case) are the essentials and really all I need.  I would like a treadmill, but I'm not sure I would use it enough to justify the expense and making a place for it.  

I have the bench & bike, along with 15, 20, 25 & 30 lbs dumbells.  They are mix & match, with most being metal from the 90's and being having rubber coating.  I really want one of those expensive, urethane sets.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
For me:

Platform
Squat rack
bar
plates
pullup bar

That's the bare essentials.

More than that I'd get a bike or rower and a medicine ball or maybe a slam ball just to mix things up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

In all the years I've been doing this, I don't think I've ever seen anyone recommend a smith machine.

Dead serious.

Power rack w/pull-up bar
Flat bench
300# olympic set with a 7' barbell

A pair of running shoes for cardio , or maybe an elliptical, stationary bike, or Airdyne.

Most inexpensive treadmills will die fairly quickly if they're actually used for running, so I don't recommend them at all. They also take up a shitload of floor space.

As far as the accessories go, that depends on your program and goals. Don't just buy shit because other folks tell you that you need it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
A 10 foot ceiling.  

I learned that one as a teenager when I decided to do some full lifts in my parents' garage, after which I practiced my drywall skills doing some repairs where the plates tried to reach the attic.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Power rack w/pull-up bar
Flat bench
300# olympic set with a 7' barbell

A pair of running shoes for cardio

Most inexpensive treadmills will die fairly quickly if they're actually used for running, so I don't recommend them at all. They also take up a shitload of floor space.

As far as the accessories go, that depends on your program and goals. Don't just buy shit because other folks tell you that you need it.
View Quote

This. All true but especially the bold. Wife only uses the treadmill when the weather is awful. I only run outside.

Obligatory home gym pic:
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A 10 foot ceiling.  

I learned that one as a teenager when I decided to do some full lifts in my parents' garage, after which I practiced my drywall skills doing some repairs where the plates tried to reach the attic.
View Quote

I've been second guessing putting my stuff in the basement with 8' ceiling vs the garage with 10' since I did it 7 yrs ago. I have to line up just right with the floor joists to press down there...but it is nice and warm.

Before I bought this place I worked out in approx 8x10 space in the basement of my apartment bldg. I really did quite well there with a crappy rack, crappier bench and garage sale bar + weights. That place had a 7' ceiling so I had to press seated.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#21]
You'll need a pull-up bar, maybe a lat pull down cable setup too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Instead of a lat pull down I use bands to assist pullups when I can't get anymore full reps.

Of course, you don't have all the grip options you would with a lat pull down.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Instead of a lat pull down I use bands to assist pullups when I can't get anymore full reps.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those work well, too. Should put the body in more natural positions also.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

Though to be clear, I do that because I don't have a lat pulldown, not because I don't like lat pulldowns. I wish I had one
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd say some sort of a pulldown is pretty essential. There is just so much that you can do with it.

I've got:

Powerrack + pullup + tricep dips
Plates
10-65 dumbells, could use some 75s, but at these prices no way.
Two Olympic bars
Lat pulldown+seated pull
Adjustable bench
Fan bike

I also have some 16x4 wood pieces that are great for situps, lunges, etc. I'd love to have an incline leg press, but I don't have the space or $. Next buy will be curl bar probably.

Pro tip: For rubber mats head to Tractor Supply and grab some stall mats if they have them. About 1/20th the price fitness places try to charge.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah.

Though to be clear, I do that because I don't have a lat pulldown, not because I don't like lat pulldowns. I wish I had one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.

Here's my setup, works pretty good for home use.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228618/20210203_052611_jpg-1808807.JPG
View Quote

Be careful with that rope if it's one of the cheap ones. I had the end come off mine, weights dropped, almost punched myself in the nuts...luckily no real damage to anything.

I replaced it with some 3/4" natural cord with knots at the end, much better grip than the nylon, and no chance of breaking.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Was gonna get a bench from rogue... $260 in shipping and tax lol
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Be careful with that rope if it's one of the cheap ones. I had the end come off mine, weights dropped, almost punched myself in the nuts...luckily no real damage to anything.

I replaced it with some 3/4" natural cord with knots at the end, much better grip than the nylon, and no chance of breaking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228618/20210203_052611_jpg-1808807.JPG

Yikes
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weird. I received yesterday the monster bench 2.0 and shipping was $49.25.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monster bench is 60ish pounds and probably shipped ups

Adjustable Bench is 120 pounds and probably shipped freight I'm guessing
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#33]
A gym is not complete until you have one of these

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ew5D0Ve.jpg

View Quote

It's true. No gym is ever really complete without at least one corresponding gym crush.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ew5D0Ve.jpg

View Quote

My gym has one
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top