Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 8:51:49 AM EDT
So heating guy was out yesterday to clean my furnace, said I should start planning on a new one in next year or 2. (mine is 19 years old, prior owner didn't maintain it well). I have Hot water baseboards, my boiler now is a weil-mclain 100k oil fired unit. Should I plan on a similar unit for next time or is there a better brand? we don't have NG here, and propane is $$$.
I readup online and everybody says " mine is the best heater brand ever.." but there are no " 15 years down the road" reviews just "in installed last week and it is great" (EVERYBODY loves their new car when they leave the lot...).
What is the lowest maintance, best fuel efficiency, unit. Im ok with paying a little extra up front to get the landcruiser of heaters, I just don't wanna get the Cadillac heater that does everything and breaks down every week.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Buderus
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
What exact problems did he find that suggests replacement soon? 19 years isn’t much for a boiler. Even with minimal maintenance you should get a lot longer out of it. Burner heads can get changed out if that’s the problem.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother had a 50 year old boiler in his house.
Worked fine.
Zone valve's was the only thing he ever replaced.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buderus
View Quote

This is what I have. No issues after 21 years. I get it serviced every two years for $250.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buderus
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#6]
OST
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to stay with a traditional boiler it's hard to beat a Weil-McLain gold.

I went back and forth on a new low mass boiler vs traditional and ended up going with the Weil-McLain.

I kinda wish I had tried an on demand, but I had a hard time taking the chance.   Cost about 5k installed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What exact problems did he find that suggests replacement soon? 19 years isn’t much for a boiler. Even with minimal maintenance you should get a lot longer out of it. Burner heads can get changed out if that’s the problem.
View Quote

When he was cleaningn inside it was almost completely blocked in the heat exchangers (like little cilli in intestines actually) some of the little exchanger nuns were broken off. He said that the extreme heat had changed the metal and weakened it. Basically when I paid a “ furnace contractor” to clean it last year it wasn’t actually a cleaning, guy only brushed the spot down the chimney into it.  From the prior owners records I found it was in this condition from 2014 onward. Guy found a servicing log on the back dated 2014, old guy who took care of place had rapid onset alzomers in 15, and his wife didn’t take care of things at all( vent system filters were from 15 as well, he dated them, septic was last pumped in 15, ect.

So I’m not sure it is going to die but I wouldn’t be surprised if life got cut short.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buderus
View Quote
What we have.
Only problem we have is when the previous owner had it installed it was not done right.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard buderus is bomb too - made in duetschland I believe.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m in upstate NY. Replaced my 49 year old National US boiler(amana) with a Weil Mclain cga-4. Ng. 105kbtu output. Went down from 150k the old unit put out. It was highly oversized.

LOVE the Weil Mclain. I did CRAZY research first. Got SIX quotes. Went with the most reasonable company. $5750 installed. Slipped the guys $100 to move my water heater into the boiler closet next to the boiler, run gas, and exhaust.

Could not be happier. I’d get a 2nd quote. 19 years isn’t a lot. It should last another 8-10 easily before you need to worry about replacing it. I have pics if you need em.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Lochinvar Knight
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Buderus
View Quote

I have several of their panel radiators and have been pleased.

Boiler is a weil mclain eco.
Underfloor radiant on the ground floor, panels up on the second floor, condensing temps, outdor reset, grundfos alpha pumps, and thermostat regulatolrs on each panel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I use a propane-fueled Munchkin in my 42'x60'x14' shop to heat the floor.
The temperature is set to 53 degrees and the boiler is very efficient.
I installed it 15 years ago, maintenance is easy, no problems so far.
Depending on temps, it will run from late October, early November, until the end of March, beginning of April.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Do not get a peerless pinnacle!  Something broke on it every year for the first 12 yrs.  It is now 16 yrs old and the HVAC guy who put it in refuses to come out and service it and refuses to talk to me.

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
another vote for Buderus.
Replaced my old boiler with one 10 years ago and the only issue I've had was with some valves but that was an acidic water issue.
My boiler Tech is a friend and he told me they were one of the best on the market.
View Quote

And the modulation range on the newer ones is large enough to be really useful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top