Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Baldur's Gate 3 (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2023 8:41:46 AM EDT
Anyone else looking forward to this? I was a huge fan of BG1 and 2 growing up and I've been playing BG3's early access for years. Release date was recently bumped up for PC to Aug. 3. From what I've played and read, it very much has the chance to be a once-a-generation game.

Very much looking forward to rolling up an Oath of Vengeance Paladin Polearm Master.

What do you all plan to run on your first play through?
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
Anyone else looking forward to this? I was a huge fan of BG1 and 2 growing up and I've been playing BG3's early access for years. Release date was recently bumped up for PC to Aug. 3. From what I've played and read, it very much has the chance to be a once-a-generation game.

Very much looking forward to rolling up an Oath of Vengeance Paladin Polearm Master.

What do you all plan to run on your first play through?
View Quote

The Dark Urge does look pretty interesting. I may hold off on that for a future playthrough.

I too am strongly considering an Oath of Vengeance Paladin, however I played Paladins a a lot in games over the years. Sorcerer or Warlock are up there for my first choice in my first run through. Number one idea is Paly 5 / Sorcerer 7, probably human. Bonus action quickened hold person, smite smite.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Gloomstalker/Rogue/Fighter here. I know at least 5 in Ranger, 1 in Rogue, and 2 in Fighter. Not sure where I'll put the rest yet
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blind_Squirrel:
Gloomstalker/Rogue/Fighter here. I know at least 5 in Ranger, 1 in Rogue, and 2 in Fighter. Not sure where I'll put the rest yet
View Quote

They increased the level cap to 12 so you have four left.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good to know. I just need to read up whether more ranger vs rogue vs fighter gets me the best outcome for feats/skills but is at least a good baseline for 2 attacks, action surge, and all that rogue goodness
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I did not play the first two, but I am interested in how the third game pans out and may buy it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I'm bouncing off the walls waiting for Thursday. Never played BG1 or 2 but used to play a lot of 3.5 edition, and I've been reading a lot of the Forgotten Realms novels lately.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Story recap for everyone. I had forgotten a lot of it myself and I played the absolute shit out these games back in the day.

Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 Full Story Recap
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll get it after the first few price drops.  RPG's rarely stay full price for long.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance in freaking 2001. Man, I feel older with this release
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I downloaded it soon as it went live. Took about 20 minutes which was shorter than I thought considering how rural I am. Only neighbor is the national forest.

Anyway. I start and the "floor" or whatever I am on is a solid blank. Nothing. I can see stuff on the map in the corner but the floor is a giant void. I move around and eventually get into "stuff" that will kill me but I can't see what it is or where I am going.

Any ideas? I updated my drivers and it's a 3060ti. Nothing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
I played Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance in freaking 2001. Man, I feel older with this release
View Quote

Ditto. It'll be my first PC game once I'm done building my first PC since emulators and WoW about 10 years ago. Starfield after that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#12]
strong goty contender this game is pretty sweet so far
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Cossa:
strong goty contender this game is pretty sweet so far
View Quote

I'm watching streams of it. I can't wait till my system is up and running. Currently, I'm watching X-ray Girl play it.

It'll be the first game I'll play.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Its still early, but damn they did a fantastic job with this game.

Oh and no spoilers but the bugbear/ogre situation
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Few hours in and found out you can shift C and the whole party takes cover so you can stealth if needed. Also you can drag around the player portraits to link them together.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 6:22:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:
Few hours in and found out you can shift C and the whole party takes cover so you can stealth if needed. Also you can drag around the player portraits to link them together.
View Quote
there's a button at the bottom of the character cards that will do the same thing as shift+C as well.

There's a second button with it that allows you ungroup everyone so you can move just one character around at a time instead of all four. I do this a lot w/ Astarion looking for traps.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#17]
It's been a long time since a game has pulled me in where I stay up until 6am playing it. Though I work overnights so being up at 6am is normal for me.

So far it's running flawlessly on my higher end PC. As of now I would give five out of five stars.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RAL:
It's been a long time since a game has pulled me in where I stay up until 6am playing it. Though I work overnights so being up at 6am is normal for me.

So far it's running flawlessly on my higher end PC. As of now I would give five out of five stars.
View Quote

I downloaded it last night after assembling my first gaming PC.

A quick test of the game intro on my mid-tier build hit a peak of 165fps and was hovering around 115fps. I can tell the game is very optimized and I can't wait to play it later today.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Bear in the Baldur's Gate 3
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gYvnwGlihY
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

What the hell did I just see?
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Raignis:

What the hell did I just see?
View Quote
Druid bear sex with an Elf Vampire, of course.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 3:08:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#24]

Druid bear sex with an Elf Vampire, of course.
View Quote

Never change, D&D. Never change.

Just got done playing for a few hours and I averaged 165fps. Damn this game runs good.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I knew you could throw a potion at someone to heal them. Found out you can throw it on the ground and those in the area get healed, not sure on the size of the area of effect. Also you can drink a potion and throw one on the ground and if you are in the area heal yourself again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#29]
I haven't left the first zone yet.  I've fully explored the Underdark and found an old Dwarven forge....it was well worth the effort.

Almost fully exploring the first zone, then off to the next.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Baldur's Gate 3: The Greatest Foe - An Animated Short
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Life but it's Baldur's Gate 3
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I am playing Paladin, but I am only level 5. Might also co-level fighter on him next.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#33]
Originally Posted By Retzam:
I am playing Paladin, but I am only level 5. Might also co-level fighter on him next.
View Quote

I'm lvl5 Paladin as well. Planning to end up with Paladin 5, Warlock 5, and Fighter 2.  Once I can get Paladin 5 and Warlock 3, I'll respec into that and dump strength since pact of the blade will make my attacks scale on charisma.  Fighter will be the last two levels I think.  I also managed to get the +3 silver sword from the gith commander dude on the bridge by save scumming until he failed the save on a surprise disarming strike from a hireling fighter with invisibility.  With that weapon's +3, the tadpole power giving +3 on first attack per mob, and the gloves that give advantage when you are next to two or more enemies, I am easily landing attacks with the -5 to hit and +10 damage Great Weapon Fighting: All In passive turned on. Oh, and the deluxe edition helmet that lets you cast disguise self lets you get all the other bonuses from the Gith sword if you disguise as one of them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Just finished.  122 hours.

Masterpiece.  GOTY hands down.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jatobi:

View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:28:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kill-9] [#36]

View Quote
Do you plan to play through it again?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By kill-9:
Do you plan to play through it again?
View Quote

Yes, want to finish getting the other achievements I missed.

Also to do stupid strats like turning into an owl bear, enlarging it, and jumping from on high to kill them... that looked like fun
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Yes, want to finish getting the other achievements I missed.

Also to do stupid strats like turning into an owl bear, enlarging it, and jumping from on high to kill them... that looked like fun
View Quote

That sounds awesome
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

That sounds awesome
View Quote

There's a bunch of stupid strats I want to try.  I'm not too into the barrel strats, that takes so much time and setup.

But the large owlbear....oh yeah.  That, and making a bunch of Dwarves and throw each other at the enemy...

What happens when you throw 550kg Owlbears at an Ogre? | Baldur's Gate 3

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#40]

There's a bunch of stupid strats I want to try.  I'm not too into the barrel strats, that takes so much time and setup.

But the large owlbear....oh yeah.  That, and making a bunch of Dwarves and throw each other at the enemy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzM_KxBnVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZFxAqZKuU

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#41]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzM_KxBnVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmZFxAqZKuU

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Oh damn...guess I ain't that close after all at 40-50something hours. Just hit act 3

And Starfield this week is gonna win my time between the two so...will probably start a new playthrough sometime down the road. For the best, as I kinda fucked up act 2 quite a bit
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Oh damn...guess I ain't that close after all at 40-50something hours. Just hit act 3

And Starfield this week is gonna win my time between the two so...will probably start a new playthrough sometime down the road. For the best, as I kinda fucked up act 2 quite a bit
View Quote

Yeah, I'll probably be switching to Starfield after release.

I just got to Moonrise Tower at 60 hours lol. I'm guessing I'll be at 80+ hours to finish BG3.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#44]
30 hours in and I just crossed the bridge into Act 2.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

You can definitely beat the game in a lot less hours than me.

I simply explored EVERYWHERE and did most of the quests lol.  I was going to every inch of the maps to make sure I wasn't missing anything special.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#46]

You can definitely beat the game in a lot less hours than me.

I simply explored EVERYWHERE and did most of the quests lol.  I was going to every inch of the maps to make sure I wasn't missing anything special.
View Quote

I was trying to do that, but my choices in the quests and the order I did them in bypassed several quest lines.

It took me 48 hours to complete Act 1 and I'm almost done with Act 2 at 60 hours. I'm guessing I'll finish Act 2 in about 10 more hours even though it's supposed to be the longest.

I could be completely wrong, though. I'm not spoiling myself and only looking at stuff after I complete it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Any mods yet to increase the text size?  I know the dialogue can be bumped up, but the examination description and the colors involved makes it very hard for me to keep playing more than an hour
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ender875:
Any mods yet to increase the text size?  I know the dialogue can be bumped up, but the examination description and the colors involved makes it very hard for me to keep playing more than an hour
View Quote

Glad it was not just me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:53:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chibajoe] [#49]
Be careful who you shove off of ledges.  I set up a barrel trap and blew Dror Ragzlin off a bridge. His body, along with all of his juicy loot and brain worm fell into the abyss.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By chibajoe:
Be careful who you shove off of ledges.  I set up a barrel trap and blew Dror Ragzlin off a bridge. His body, along with all of his juicy loot and brain worm fell into the abyss.  
View Quote

I did the same thing to a random mob in the Underdark that Click To View Spoiler
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Baldur's Gate 3 (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top