Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2018 12:53:03 PM EDT
Not sure if it's kosher to ask this but...

my troop just got an influx of lower income kids. We keep a collection of hand-me-downs but it is empty.

if you have any decent Boy Scout shirts to give up I would pay shipping. Please pm me
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you asked your council for financial assistance?

Dallas council, circle 10, seems to be pretty flush with cash. I'm not sure I've ever paid for a uniform for my son. Our old pack got financial aid when we started and I don't think I ever paid full price for a camp. I think one year they told us to pay whatever we could afford for camp, which was like $85. I handed our pack leader $85 and she was like no, we're getting financial assistance and gave me $40 back.

We changed packs last year because we changed schools and my son moved up to Weeblos this year. They just gave him the tan shirt and patches and devices free because council picked up the costs. There's also something with Ross Perot picking up the rank costs for all scouts in circle 10 (Dallas).  We have another camp next month, $25 per scout and $25 per parent. Council is picking up the cost for that too. We are going for free.

That may not work where you are, but I dunno, put out the word, ask for help or do a class B t-shirt for a while.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying to handle this without going higher. Those are all options.

and bump
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Prolly should do a couple car washes.  Explain to the patrons what the car wash is for.

Do not panhandle like the other youth groups do,  Despite what the MSM says, the public respects the BSA and will help if the situation is handled in an honorable way,
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prolly should do a couple car washes.  Explain to the patrons what the car wash is for.

Do not panhandle like the other youth groups do,  Despite what the MSM says, the public respects the BSA and will help if the situation is handled in an honorable way,
View Quote
We have money to buy some but I was hoping I could find a few used ones for next to free. We'd still have to put on council and troop patches. All money that could be spent on other crap for everyone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out local thrift stores and goodwills.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Dammit I just donated a couple shirts last week
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Any size?  Patches ok?  May 2 or 4, will have to look after work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to goodwill. There’s always a bunch in the Halloween section this time of year. We snagged 11 last year for $2.00 each.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any size?  Patches ok?  May 2 or 4, will have to look after work.
View Quote
All sizes, trying to replenish our stock, we're at zero. I would suggest you take your patches off, as we'll have to replace them anyway.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go to goodwill. There's always a bunch in the Halloween section this time of year. We snagged 11 last year for $2.00 each.
View Quote
Will look
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Email sent!
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#12]
@slimsade

email bounced back I PMed you

thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Scouting is prohibitively expensive often. Ran into that problem a lot when u was an assistant leader. Good luck
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to have a BSA shirt but it leaked oil all over my chest.

Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#15]
ha, im tarded and got motorcycle on the brain
Ive been looking for an older project bike and I immediately thought of this and was like, "hmm, bsa shirt would be cool"
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Went to my local Goodwill and couldn't find any :(

But I've had a couple people agree to sent me some.

Thank You
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top