Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
3 mile spacing with reported RVR of 1200/600/1600....

At 3:1, landing aircraft 900 AGL when takeoff clearance given, inside 1000' stabilized approach gate...hmmm.
Likely a CAT3 autoland so crew is not looking outside.

I realize you gotta move airplanes but thats a little agressive.

Duke
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
But we're the air traffic controllers trans persons of color?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty sure the comment from the fed ex crew at 9:20 was a polite way to say WTF!?  The controller was too asleep to recognize the bad situation that was shaping up.

The controller also never called for an expedited take off when he cleared the SW aircraft.  That said..  He told the SW crew that  there was a 767 on 3 mile.  So...  
View Quote

Give or take a little, 1 minute of separation.

"SWA Please expedite for noise avoidance"
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the comment from the fed ex crew at 9:20 was a polite way to say WTF!?  The controller was too asleep to recognize the bad situation that was shaping up.

The controller also never called for an expedited take off when he cleared the SW aircraft.  That said..  He told the SW crew that  there was a 767 on 3 mile.  So...  
View Quote

You are probably correct but when verified to land that is time to be explicit and ask where the hell the Southwest plane is.

Two sets of pilots and a controller and all three missed it?  
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
"SWA put your dicks away and push your throttles"
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Holey shit!  

I know they are listing the call at 10:23 as from the tower.  Was it from the tower or was it the fed ex crew calling the SW aircraft to abort and calling "fed ex on the go"??

That controller took long enough to realize shit isnt going to work there.    
View Quote

Yep, it sounded to me like the FedEx pilot told SW to abort and then advised  they were on the go. Definitely not the same controllers voice.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The new america sucks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
2 aircraft at full power right on top of each other must have been loud.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
As a mechanic with a run taxi authorization anytime a controller tells you expedite or aircraft on final. It’s a professional way of saying get your @$$ moving.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had the FEDEX crew not done an outstanding job, it would have been louder....
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I am seeing this.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]
It’s been a bad week in Austin.  Holy cow
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#13]
FedEx crew telling SWA to abort is some top notch situational awareness. Holy shit.

If it was that low of a temperature and visibility, SWA might have been doing a pre departure run up. If that’s the case that would explain the delay of initiating the takeoff roll. They should’ve informed atc and not accepted the takeoff clearance knowing there’s a 767 3 miles out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Seems like Southwest took too long and ATC didn't realize the delay could cause a conflict. In hindsight ATC should've told Southwest to expedite when they cleared them. ATC was probably trying to get Southwest out to save departure time due to the heavy landing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

@mattman9696

What else in Austin this week aside from the weather?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:31:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder what that sounded like from the bottom plane.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@mattman9696

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mattman9696

@Marie

The weather, the power outages (still people without power) and now this
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's comforting.  My wife flies out of there Tuesday.
View Quote

That bad huh?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Not the first time something like this has ever happened.
Might be different causes though.

This happened at Toronto International
HOW was THIS Allowed to HAPPEN?!

Edit: The video has an explanation of RIMCAS(the system that's supposed to prevent these things from happening)  and how that system could allow these things to happen.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That bad huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's comforting.  My wife flies out of there Tuesday.

That bad huh?

Millions of clearances and rarely an issue. Keep worrying.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
TOGA button FTW!
View Quote

I bet he was tapping that thing like a piano key.

I wonder what the SW crew saw out the window.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FedEx crew telling SWA to abort is some top notch situational awareness. Holy shit.

If it was that low of a temperature and visibility, SWA might have been doing a pre departure run up. If that’s the case that would explain the delay of initiating the takeoff roll. They should’ve informed atc and not accepted the takeoff clearance knowing there’s a 767 3 miles out.
View Quote

At that temp, and visibility we would have to do a 30 second run up (in an NG) on the runway prior to brake release.  It’s a Boeing requirement, so I doubt SWA’s procedures are any different.  But we always tell the tower we need that time on the runway before we can start the roll.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#24]
That’s crazy, and job well done to the FedEx pilots for pulling that off.  

A question for the experts, did the fedex’s rate of climb out put them in danger of stalling?  

I’d imagine they were close to the edge of not slamming into the other plane and not dropping out of the sky from a stall either.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:57:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Hory Sheet!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
we are witnessing the decay of civilization.
View Quote

Idiocracy is a documentary.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I bet those Fedex pilots wished they were working for UPS so they could wear their brown pants
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

At that temp, and visibility we would have to do a 30 second run up (in an NG) on the runway prior to brake release.  It’s a Boeing requirement, so I doubt SWA’s procedures are any different.  But we always tell the tower we need that time on the runway before we can start the roll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I’m not a 737 guy so I wasn’t absolutely sure.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A question for the experts, did the fedex’s rate of climb out put them in danger of stalling?  

I’d imagine they were close to the edge of not slamming into the other plane and not dropping out of the sky from a stall either.
View Quote

Stalling?.. no.

When the TOGA (takeoff/go around) paddle is pressed, throttles advance and A/C pitches to the GA cue on the flight director.
Airspeed target is above min speed for current configuration.
Aircraft accelerates and flaps retracted on speed to a clean configuration.
LNAV/VNAV ( lateral/vertical nav) is engaged during the process and off you go.

Assuming auto pilot on, a go around is a non event.

Duke
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Had to listen to it again. It sounded like a normal go around with Swa calling the abort. Tower calling it was a sign that Swa took too long to get rollin. Old school Swa would’ve gotten airborne in no time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:18:51 AM EDT
[#31]
nvmd
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"Nothing unusual about this. Maybe Swa took a little longer to get off but it happens. Everything from the audio sounds like it worked the way it was supposed to. We get cleared for take off with traffic three miles on final and it’s assumed by all that you’ll be rolling asap.  The abort was called as normal. Fedex did exactly like they were supposed to. I land with traffic just becoming airborne on short final once in a while. No big deal. We land with traffic just clearing the exit fifteen seconds before we touchdown. Everyone is ready to go around because it’s how you train and expect. Everybody, it sounds, did a great job."

Probably good idea you deleted that
View Quote

That’s why I reposted it. Couldn’t tell a difference between their voices.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:24:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That’s why I reposted it. Couldn’t tell a difference between their voices.
View Quote

ThumbsUp.jpg
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:40:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Sum Ting Wong
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Little confused about SWA. They were calling abort but flight data looked like they got off the ground. Did they abort the take off or just do a shallow climb out to avoid FE.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:56:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Little confused about SWA. They were calling abort but flight data looked like they got off the ground. Did they abort the take off or just do a shallow climb out to avoid FE.
View Quote
That was FedEx telling Southwest to abort. Looks like they continued their takeoff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
they probably didnt realize what was happening until it was over.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#40]
SWA knew what was going on. They were told there was a 767 at 3 miles.. yes cutting it close but they had plenty of time to get rolling and out of their before the FedEx. If they couldn’t get going that fast they should have informed the tower.

People in here are seemingly wanting to blame ATC (the racist comments are kinda weird) but I think the root cause of this is SWA.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:19:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Just another day. Been seeing an increase of the ATC Brasher warning jokes lately. System is failing. Notams are a joke, hell that grounded planes nationwide a few weeks ago. Few years ago they printed half a reem of notes if we even went close to DC, try reading that in 20 minutes time. I really wish the public could see how we get our notams and how unreadable they really are. Notice to air missions...lol(you know if you know). There is a reason I nickname certain controllers "Angels of Death". Once had a controller put me nose to nose with a bell whirly bird, causing me to make evasive action only 50 ft off the ground. Only consequence was the controller was out 20$, gave me a gift card to BW3 and said he was sorry. Role reversed...out of a license for a period of time, big time fines, and possibly out of a career.

As for Austin, running them too tight.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#42]
There has to be video of this, right?

Wonder when that will get released
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

ATC is cramming as much into the airspace as they can. 170 or 180kts to the FAF seems to be the norm now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 2:56:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

On a go around you have plenty of energy to initiate a go around. Full power is not really needed on the plane I fly.a heavily laden 737? No idea!
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Would love to see video
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:12:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Incident took place at 1240Z according to Flightradar24 video.
View Quote

So.... the Southwest aircraft was cleared for takeoff when the landing UPS aircraft was 3 miles away.

The FedEx aircraft was traveling let's say 170 knots.... so it would travel 3 miles in just over a minute.

Southwest is slow to take off, thus the FedEx plane is on top of them, literally, while they are finally rolling out.

I am not a pilot nor am I an air traffic controller but...

3 miles seems WAY too close like a really tight window and was SW aware that they HAD to go right away? This is nuts.

They were... about 1 second away from disaster assuming a sink rate of 30 feet per second and 27' of vertical separation.

I would think the SW aircraft would need to be inspected for damage, no?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:15:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh yeah.  I'm betting those pilots were shitting themselves for a few seconds.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:18:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Stalling?.. no.

When the TOGA (takeoff/go around) paddle is pressed, throttles advance and A/C pitches to the GA cue on the flight director.
Airspeed target is above min speed for current configuration.
Aircraft accelerates and flaps retracted on speed to a clean configuration.
LNAV/VNAV ( lateral/vertical nav) is engaged during the process and off you go.

Assuming auto pilot on, a go around is a non event.

Duke
View Quote

Assuming the engines were at idle for landing, how long to spin up to full power?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:20:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Turd world. This stuff is starting to happen every week it seems like.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They were... about 1 second away from disaster assuming a sink rate of 30 feet per second and 27' of vertical separation.
View Quote
That's twice the sink rate you'd have on an ILS, and well into unstabilized territory. More like 700-800 fpm.

Quoted:

Assuming the engines were at idle for landing, how long to spin up to full power?
View Quote

They would not have been at idle yet. Still around 50-60% N1. It'd spool up quick.

Quoted:
There has to be video of this, right?

Wonder when that will get released
View Quote

I doubt there will be video of anything. Not much to see with that ceiling and visibility.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top