User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/23/2018 1:40:18 PM EDT
This is on the APs Twitter.

ETA link to story.

Trump can't block on Twitter

We hold that portions of the @realDonaldTrump account -- the “interactive space” where Twitter users may directly
engage with the content of the President’s tweets -- are properly analyzed  under  the  “public  forum”  doctrines  set  forth  by  the  
Supreme Court, that such space is a designated public forum, and that the blocking of the plaintiffs based on their political speech
constitutes  viewpoint  discrimination  that  violates  the  First  Amendment.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol

Twitter is private, it is their call if they want to allow it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That only applies to the official White House / Office of the President account and not his personal Donald Trump account, right?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Well if that's the case, I had my first amendment rights violated by the local Sheriff when I (politely) criticized him on facebook
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
This will be good. Especially the link to the story......
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
interesting ruling, not sure i buy how the 1st amendment comes into play here
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well if that's the case, I had my first amendment rights violated by the local Sheriff when I (politely) criticized him on facebook
View Quote
Im banned from Diane Feinstein and Maxine Waters facebook pages. Time to sue I guess.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Then by Extension Twitter can't ban anyone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if it's the same one from Hawaii?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im banned from Diane Feinstein and Maxine Waters facebook pages. Time to sue I guess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking forward to the outcome.

Either it applies to all or none.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm banned from a Facebook group by a local city council for asking why they have racist hiring policies lol
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That only applies to the official White House / Office of the President account and not his personal Donald Trump account, right?
View Quote
Nope.  Claiming 1st amendment - if it holds than no politician should be able to block anyone - the 4chan trolls are off the leash
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
4D happenings?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Is this going to work out like that judge thinks it will considering the extent to which twitter, fb, etc. censor the right? What's he saying? That social media are public fora where speech can't be restricted?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m not sure that judge understands the rule of law.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Does that ruling extend to other social media?  That could get far reaching and really be used to put a crimp in the leftist agenda. See Youtube banning gun channels.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell, I have been blocked or banned on twitter and Facebook by Feinstein, Waters, Schumer, Pelsoi Hogg and his his lesbian bitch as well as McShitstain.

Guess it's time to sue too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#17]
So 1st amendment applies to Twitter but 2nd doesn't apply to ARs......got it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Bullshit
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Didn't read but

El
Oh
El
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nope.  Claiming 1st amendment - if it holds than no politician should be able to block anyone - the 4chan trolls are off the leash
View Quote
Well looks like I get to sue Diane Frankenstein Finestein and Mad Maxine Waters for banning me on facebook.

Oh wait I cant afford a laywer
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So 1st amendment applies to Twitter but 2nd doesn't apply to ARs......got it.
View Quote
Lol citizen...
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
You should go for it- Liberals will go batshit crazy trying to defend their actions at a time when Trump is being attacked like this
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#23]
that kneeling senator got me banned from facebook.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#24]
SLIPPERY SLOPE this judge just opened up!
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well looks like I get to sue Diane Frankenstein Finestein and Mad Maxine Waters for banning me on facebook.

Oh wait I cant afford a laywer
View Quote
Where is Nolo?  Can we all afford to throw him some money?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#26]
He should just ignore this asshole judge, Obama never abided by courts unless they ruled in his favor, pound sand, enforce your own rule.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh exploitable.  Vile sexual comments to every female of Congress in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . .
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd have to read the judge's opinion, but I call bullshit.

The 1A protects people from actions of the government which limit speech.  Trump/Fed. Gov. isn't making a law about what critics can say. Trump/Gov. isn't preventing critics from speaking to people who want to listen.  Trump/Gov isn't taking any punitive action against critics, Trump is just ignoring them.

Would be curious to see how the judge would respond to Trump blocking no one but turning off all Twitter notifications.  If Trump merely tweets and never looks at the responses/notifications, it has the same effect as selective blocking.  Is this judge going to magically require Trump to read all of the Twitter responses?

Judges should stick to law and not engage in fiction writing from the bench.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]
What about the judge's Twitter?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Haha, know we can troll all public office commies.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, this should cascade down through all government officials. Federal, state and local. I would argue that it carries over to anyone getting their paycheck via taxes (teachers, police, etc).

The trolling that is about to unleash should be glorious.

A lot of people won't be able to stand the heat and might quit Twitter. A decline in users/usage would be bad for them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Where is Nolo?  Can we all afford to throw him some money?
View Quote
I'm in for a $100 dillo for this...
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Exactly the decision I'd expect from a 74 year old boomer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
The argument is about the last part of the 1st amendment: "and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Their argument is that blocking people on twitter violates that part.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The 1A protects people from actions of the government which limit speech.  Trump/Fed. Gov. isn't making a law about what critics can say. Trump/Gov. isn't preventing critics from speaking to people who want to listen.  Trump/Gov isn't taking any punitive action against critics, Trump is just ignoring them.

Would be curious to see how the judge would respond to Trump blocking no one but turning off all Twitter notifications.  If Trump merely tweets and never looks at the responses/notifications, it has the same effect as selective blocking.  Is this judge going to magically require Trump to read all of the Twitter responses?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the decision.

Judges Decision: Trump must not block
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's okay... Just means fb and twitter can't supress anyone's posts anymore either...
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#37]
If the ruling says Twitter is a public forum then all social media is going to become that due to precedent?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Lol

Twitter is private, it is their call if they want to allow it.
View Quote
Yep, the judge is full of shit and the court has no standing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If the ruling says Twitter is a public forum then all social media is going to become thta due to precedent?
View Quote
Oh, shit! Oh, shit! Oh, shit!  Has the door been opened?  Hasn't this been the big

fear that social media has been working to stifle conservative voices?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Glorious.

We hold that portions of the @realDonaldTrump account -- the “interactive space” where Twitter users may directly
engage with the content of the President’s tweets -- are properly analyzed  under  the  “public  forum”  doctrines  set  forth  by  the  
Supreme Court, that such space is a designated public forum, and that the blocking of the plaintiffs based on their political speech
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Brandeis and Columbia appointed by Clinton.  I'm shocked.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Didn't a guy wearing a MAGA hat just get thrown out of a bar recently and the judge ruled it was perfectly ok and not discrimination?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Glorious.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glorious.

We hold that portions of the @realDonaldTrump account -- the "interactive space" where Twitter users may directly
engage with the content of the President's tweets -- are properly analyzed  under  the  "public  forum"  doctrines  set  forth  by  the  
So that ruling right there says that anything posted as criticism (such as posting a Jordan

Peterson video in response to some feminist politicans claims) of a politician is now protected

under the 1st, and therefore can't be blocked, edited or removed?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#45]
If he gives a speech do critics get equal time onstage?

Dopey stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#46]
POTUS should get a private blog and to Hell with tweeter, bookface, and the rest of the nonsensical platforms.

The sooner they follow AOL and USENET into oblivion the better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like a precedent to me.

Fuck you Jack.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The argument is about the last part of the 1st amendment: "and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm OK with that interpretation, so long as it's universal across ALL forums for ALL public officials.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top