Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2019 12:18:51 AM EDT

Bun Bo Hue is my favorite Vietnamese soup (or soup period!). After seeing the hive drool over Pho, I think it's time y'all see the light!

GYSOT!
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
If it’s southwest Asia, I love everything about Thai soups. Tom yum or Tom kha is my jams for the balance of flavors. Malaysian Lak Sah is pretty good too
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a restaurant by my place where you can bring your own POT and load up on Bun Bo
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:30:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Concur.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I misread that...
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Can confirm. That's what I always get too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:23:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thought this was a big blue house thread. Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Pho, Tom Yum, Tom Kha, man all those asian soups are great.  But I think  Khao Soi is simply the best.

Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/11/15/0c/91/our-famous-bun-bo-hue.jpg

Bun Bo Hue is my favorite Vietnamese soup (or soup period!). After seeing the hive drool over Pho, I think it's time y'all see the light!

GYSOT!
View Quote
I love Pho but can't get past the pig feet and blood in Bun Bo Hue.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Nah, it's the simplicity of Pho that makes it such a classic.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pho, Tom Yum, Tom Kha, man all those asian soups are great.  But I think  Khao Soi is simply the best.

http://static.asiawebdirect.com/m/bangkok/portals/chiangmai-bangkok-com/homepage/top10/top10-khao-soi-restaurant/pagePropertiesImage/khao-soi-10.jpg
View Quote
Bun bo hue is a Vietnamese soup. Better than pho, it’s spicy, I add the red chili oil till it makes me sweat
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don’t have to get the gio heo
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You don't have to get the gio heo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't have to get the gio heo
I don't speak Mexican. Can you explain?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I am fortunate.  My wife makes great Pho and my mom make s awesome Bun Bo Hue.  Heck, mom was born in Hue city so its a given!
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Gìo heo is the shank of pig leg/feet.  Huýêt is the blood cubes (congealed and cooked pig or cow's blood).
I love BBH over Pho, packs more flavor and spicy.  I also don't knaw on the pig shank, or eat the blood cubes so I request them not to put it in the bowl.  The beef, and special pork Gìo (similar to hotdog/salami), and the spicy (and sometimes tomato is included) broth makes a distinctive standout to Pho.

Eta:  I live in Houston and have yet to find a good BBH in a restaurant, even the standalone BBH places.  Most of them just take the Pho broth and add the red chili paste to give it that red and spicy look...not the same.  I guess I'm spoiled by good home BBH by my wife (her family originated from Hue).
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Asians are the masters of soup.

This cannot be refuted.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I usually get the BBW.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't be able to decide between the two. Both have brought me back to life more times than I can count. Whoever is in the Austin area, Tan My has the best BBH.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can confirm. That's what I always get too.
View Quote
Same here... pho is good but I have to hit the shop pretty frequently to stray from this stuff
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Sinigang>Pho
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Bun Bo Hue is awesome.   Definitely a winter thing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I misread that...
View Quote
you read BBC too?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bun bo hue is a Vietnamese soup. Better than pho, it’s spicy, I add the red chili oil till it makes me sweat
View Quote
At some restaurants, they have hot chili oil, dried/fried and ground chili powder, siracha and peppers that you can add, in addition to the usual toppings.  I have made some bowls of pho into delicious meat mace.

I don't discriminate though..  I eat it all.  I love Vietnamese food.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am fortunate.  My wife makes great Pho and my mom make s awesome Bun Bo Hue.  Heck, mom was born in Hue city so its a given!
View Quote
Waddup brother!
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#24]
i like the mystery meat gang bang pho that looks like you threw a cow into a wood chipper. usually it has tripe which is pretty awesome and also brisket.

ramen is getting trendy which is great too. the world needs more thick pork broth
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Bun mam master race checking in
BBH is aaight
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/11/15/0c/91/our-famous-bun-bo-hue.jpg

GYSOT!
View Quote
Chili is better than all.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Gìo heo is the shank of pig leg/feet.  Huýêt is the blood cubes (congealed and cooked pig or cow's blood).
I love BBH over Pho, packs more flavor and spicy.  I also don't knaw on the pig shank, or eat the blood cubes so I request them not to put it in the bowl.  The beef, and special pork Gìo (similar to hotdog/salami), and the spicy (and sometimes tomato is included) broth makes a distinctive standout to Pho.

Eta:  I live in Houston and have yet to find a good BBH in a restaurant, even the standalone BBH places.  Most of them just take the Pho broth and add the red chili paste to give it that red and spicy look...not the same.  I guess I'm spoiled by good home BBH by my wife (her family originated from Hue).
View Quote
I like the bbh at pho danh on 1960 and the bbh place on 249 in spring.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Chili is better than all.
View Quote
Chili isn’t a soup..... so there’s that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#29]
If we are REALLY talking about Asian soups, we should start by acknowledging that good Ramen is the pinnacle and work our way down from there
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Not even close.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If we are REALLY talking about Asian soups, we should start by acknowledging that good Ramen is the pinnacle and work our way down from there
View Quote
Bbh over ramen any day of the week. Maybe I’m just not a fan. But I’ve never had ramen that I loved. They were all meh
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#32]
BBH is what I order most of the time.  It’s just more satisfying to me than regular pho tai or pho ga.

I’m really looking forward to a 10-day trip to Vietnam in May.  I’ll be traveling through Hue.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Yup, it sure is. Every Viet place I hit, if it has bun bo hue, it always choose it over pho.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yup, it sure is. Every Viet place I hit, if it has bun bo hue, it always choose it over pho.
View Quote
It's hard to find "good" BBH though. I guess if you don't have anything to compare it to (authenticity wise), it may not be easy to do. I live in New Orleans where there's a HUGE Vietnamese community, and only 1-2 shops actually have it good enough for me to order it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top