Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2019 10:53:55 PM EDT
Really interesting story and I had never heard of it!

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/boeing-b-17e-flying-fortress-the-dreamboat-nose.43506/

"One of the 8th Air Force’s engineering officers, Maj. Robert J. Reed, was given the task of solving the problems, and in a few months he came up with a long list of suggested improvements for the B-17. The changes were beyond the capability of the U.S. depots in England to make, so the 8th Bomber Command gave Major Reed a B-17E and sent him back to Wright Field, Ohio, to make the modifications.

Major Reed’s changes were radical, especially in armament. He took the nose and tail power-operated turrets from a B-24 Liberator and mounted them on the B-17, where they provided much more firepower and better armor protection. The tail turret had a field of fire about six times greater than the original B-17 turret."

A few more pics from around the web:

Reed's configuration was considered as a YB-40 (I) model.

Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#2]
B-17 is my favorite WW2 bomber, this takes it to a whole better level!

Thanks for the read OP
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
B-17 is my favorite WW2 bomber, this takes it to a whole better level!

Thanks for the read OP
View Quote
They built a few. The mods, while effective, made the YB-40 too heavy .They couldnt keep up with the formations they were built to protect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top