Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2020 2:39:16 PM EDT
Congrats on the new cycling forum!

Adding in my question here

I'm looking to make my ass feel a bit better while riding longer distances. I generally ride about 10-20 miles when I get a chance to get out. I have a 2016 specialized AWOL and was thinking about getting a Brook's leather saddle. The OEM saddle doesn't quite fit me in a comfortable way. Does anyone have any input on if I should get the standard B17 or the B17 with the springs for mostly road with some gravel/rougher travel. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
First thought is there are 10,000 different type of saddles. Go get fit for a saddle before you just buy one. I had a sport shop switch my saddle 15 times while I was there for a fit. Over a 2 hour period I had a knee pain he cured with a washer on the pedal, hands were falling asleep on long rides, he adjusted the horns, and the saddle fit. It’s worth it.

Saddle width is huge
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Have not tried a brooks, thinking about it.
Just wanted to post pics of my awol.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
That isn't the route I'd go for 10-20 mile rides.  When I started back riding 5 or 6 years ago, I had lots of seat fitting issues, between sitbone blistering issues to taint pain. I've read a number of stories from people that had issues when the leather got soaked...you need to keep the leather properly  conditioned, and people recommend wrapping it with a plastic bag in the rain...seems too maintenance intensive for me. People DO say they're comfortable, though. I imagine with our FL heat and humidity that I would ruin one with sweat pretty quickly.

I did the simple sitbone width test with some cardboard and figured out I needed to start with a wider seat. My sitbone width was out at the edge of my 155ish seat, where it was turning down.

Once I figured that out, it took a few seats, each one getting better, and I've ended up with an Ergon that I'm really happy with. I don't start getting any discomfort from it until 2.5 hrs, and then it's just some discomfort.  If I lose the weight I need to, the issue would probably disappear.

I bought a Brooks C17 to try to get the Brooks comfort with the weather proofness.  I bought it for a new build that I put together while healing from a AC (shoulder) tear.  I hadn't ridden bikes for a couple months and probably shouldn't have jumped right on that new untested seat with my now-soft butt.  35 mile ride and I had quarter-sized blisters at my sitbone spots.  Had trouble sitting for over a week.  I may try it again one of these days.

One of our bike shops has a set of WTB loaner seats that they let me try out for a week each (though only two were wider, I think).
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have not tried a brooks, thinking about it.
Just wanted to post pics of my awol.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/751/51622700-8DFB-4EFF-8B62-8D40AD1958ED_jpe-1455192.JPG
View Quote
That's a good looking bike!  This forum needs a dedicated bike picture thread.

I've been curious about Brooks saddles for about 9 years, but being a super clydesdale, I've been reluctant to make the investment.  I did test ride a Salsa that came stock with B17 and I was surprised that for the short test ride, it was very comfortable.  Probably more so than the normal saddles on other test rides I've done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top